General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Not sure about getting a fit now

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Maybe cause it was an old truck...? The Fit has a very good gearbox and gear ratios that will make it very fun to drive. The automatic Fit is slow as balls. Just test drive a MT and see how you feel about it. Otherwise I think you may be better off in another car.

Maybe just do a engine swap on the civic?

How do you measure ball speed? Does anyone have graphs? Powerpoint? Are we talking testicles? Are testicles slow?

handymus

Old 08-12-2009, 09:47 AM
I have a manual, and we have some SHORT ramps in NC. If I do it right, I can be going 70 by the bottom of a downhill ramp. Uphill is a bit harder but I get up to about 50 on REALLY short ramps. Honda manuals almost CAN'T go in the wrong gear...if your RPMs are too high for a gear, it's extremely hard to push the shifter into that position. I LOVE my manual, but I would NEVER have an automatic in this car. No way!!

That being said...my husband has had four years to learn a stick and STILL can't drive my car! ...and it's in his name...he drives MY Civic automatic!!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by handymus
How do you measure ball speed? Does anyone have graphs? Powerpoint? Are we talking testicles? Are testicles slow?

handymus
Elementary physics my friend....besides, i'd expect testicles to be rather aerodynamic.

Originally Posted by Conflicted
I have a manual, and we have some SHORT ramps in NC. If I do it right, I can be going 70 by the bottom of a downhill ramp. Uphill is a bit harder but I get up to about 50 on REALLY short ramps. Honda manuals almost CAN'T go in the wrong gear...if your RPMs are too high for a gear, it's extremely hard to push the shifter into that position. I LOVE my manual, but I would NEVER have an automatic in this car. No way!!

That being said...my husband has had four years to learn a stick and STILL can't drive my car! ...and it's in his name...he drives MY Civic automatic!!
LOL! gangster

Old 08-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Tip for "slow as balls AT"

Use the "S" mode and those nifty paddle shifters. You will be surprised at how responsive your little Fit has become.

Of course, if you like slow testicles, just use "D".

handymus

Old 08-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Beitzel15
I have a 95 civic, it's got 102HP.. and I can't stand how long it takes the car to get to 55-60mph.
Your Civic is OLD--it doesn't have 102HP anymore. You'll feel the difference in a new car. If your old one is that bad, maybe you need to mash the accelerator pedal harder. It sounds like you have an automatic transmission, and maybe your "kickdown" function isn't working properly.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by findude
Your Civic is OLD--it doesn't have 102HP anymore. You'll feel the difference in a new car. If your old one is that bad, maybe you need to mash the accelerator pedal harder. It sounds like you have an automatic transmission, and maybe your "kickdown" function isn't working properly.
If it's a hatch, then it's cool still though
EK>EG though

Old 08-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Regarding all the links to reviews, it seems good to add links to the TTAC reviews:

Here's one from April 2006 for the first generation Fit: Honda Fit Sport Review | The Truth About Cars

And one from December 2008 for the second generation Fit: Honda Fit Sport Review | The Truth About Cars

Old 08-13-2009, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
I had been driving a 97 Mustang Cobra M/T Convertible since I bought it in 97, till it qualified as a clunker and I got a Fit last week.

The Mustang had all sorts of guts, and I sorta miss driving it because I knew it's ins and outs, especially down shifting for lane changes and accelerations lanes. Getting 55 MPH in second gear in 5 or so seconds was also kinda fun.

My 09 Sport Fit M/T has a very peppy first gear. It's not the Mustang, but I'm surprised how well it goes in first gear. However, I have not had enough time to figure out the best place for shifting to second so that it doesn't go from rabbit to turtle in one shift. I like getting to the speed limit as quickly and safely as possible.

I do think the Fit should get a 6th gear for better highway economy. The Mustang, despite the high performance V8, would get 25 MPG highway clocking around 2k rpms at 65 MPH. My Fit is pushing around 3.2k rpms at the same speed....

Old 08-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by ForceFit
I had been driving a 97 Mustang Cobra M/T Convertible since I bought it in 97, till it qualified as a clunker and I got a Fit last week.
You did WHAT?!?

Old 08-15-2009, 11:31 PM
The only difference between the AT and MT is that in the MT you are controlling your shift points. Most if not everyone will shift the MT at a higher RPM than the AT is programmed to shift making it appear faster and peppy.

The point is the individual gear ratios for 1, 2 , 3, etc.. are damn near the same for the MT and AT. Therefore, behind the same engine you will get pretty much the same results. (and don't get lippy about fluid coupling devices (torque converters) as they pretty much go to a locked state about the same time you quit slipping the clutch. )

Autos are not the slush boxes some MT snobs want you to believe.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
^^
I drove my friend's AT the other day...even in "S" mode, with the pedal on the floor, waiting until redline to click the paddle, his car didn't have nearly the pep of my MT. The car felt anemic getting up to speed.

I'm no mechanic so I won't even try to talk about torque converters and such. But even just comparing first gear in both cars, the MT takes the checkered flag.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by lostpacket
The only difference between the AT and MT is that in the MT you are controlling your shift points. Most if not everyone will shift the MT at a higher RPM than the AT is programmed to shift making it appear faster and peppy.

The point is the individual gear ratios for 1, 2 , 3, etc.. are damn near the same for the MT and AT. Therefore, behind the same engine you will get pretty much the same results. (and don't get lippy about fluid coupling devices (torque converters) as they pretty much go to a locked state about the same time you quit slipping the clutch. )

Autos are not the slush boxes some MT snobs want you to believe.
With all due respect, do your homework...from the Honda website (2009 Honda Fit - Specifications - Official Honda Web site) :

5-speed Manual Gearbox:
Gear Ratios: 1st: 3.308, 2nd: 1.870, 3rd: 1.303, 4th: 0.949, 5th: 0.727, Reverse: 3.308, Final Drive: 4.62

Automatic Gearbox:
Gear Ratios: 1st: 2.996, 2nd: 1.679, 3rd: 1.067, 4th: 0.761, 5th: 0.552, Reverse: 1.957, Final Drive: 4.56

The manual has much tighter gearing than the automatic. Automatics may not be "slushboxes", but they're definitely NOT geared the same and "the only difference" is NOT the way you're shifting. And as the owner of a car with a 2.73 rear and a 3.23 rear, they are a BIG difference in small numbers with the same engine.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
Go test drive one if u don't like it don't get it. But u might like a speed3 still a hatch but more power than the fit.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:35 AM

handymus
You can take your balls to the local raceway and time them. Mine clocked at 91 mph!

Old 08-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Use the "S" mode and those nifty paddle shifters. You will be surprised at how responsive your little Fit has become.

Of course, if you like slow testicles, just use "D".

handymus
S Mode? Are you talking about the sperm or sport?

What's the 1/4 mile of balls?

Fit acceleration is just enough for me, to the OP I would suggest that you test drive the Fit and find out. From there you can decide what you want.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:32 PM
tuff decision between the auto and stick. I haven't bought a fit yet but test driven both. they are both fun to drive. my current car is a 1996 civic ex sedan and it is a manual. I think honda makes the best manuals they are pure joy to drive. my civic still drives like the day we bought it new from the dealer. I just like honda manuals they are fun to drive and very easy to shift for that reason I would probably buy a stick fit. I test drove a manual fit and it was a pure joy to drive.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:03 PM
" I think honda makes the best manuals they are pure joy to drive"

if you like easy and requiring no talent , they're great

Old 08-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kyle is raaddd

What I want to know is how Kyle got a picture of me in the cucumber mud mask and seaweed body wrap at the spa, reaching for a healthy wheat grass shake.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
LOL at the pic.

Just for numbers, Consumer Reports tested a Sport M/T and a base A/T.

For the Sport M/T:
0-60: 9.2 s
1/4 mile: 17.0 s

For the Base A/T:
0-60: 10.7 s
1/4 mile: 18.2 s

I'd guesstimate a Sport A/T would be slightly faster than base, but there are the numbers since somebody was asking.

Quick Reply: Not sure about getting a fit now