General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Clunker for FIT buying experiences

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude
New Fit owner here. Tuesday I traded a 1989 Jeep Cherokee for a Fit Sport MT. $16,590 + tax. The dealer gave me $250 scrap value for my jeep. I got $4750 for something I paid $400 for 3 years ago.
The salesman I worked with said he had already done 9 CARS trades by that point and seemed to know what he was doing. It took some time to complete all the paperwork but nothing looked too complicated.
I was very satisfied with the dealer, Fisher Honda in Boulder Colorado. It's the first time I have ever bought a new car and didn't feel like I had to take a shower after.
Nice! I only got $1 scrap value.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:16 PM
i just did a deal yesterday after considerable research.

fit sport AT, 13900 OTD with my 1998 ford explorer (was original owner). i take receipt tomorrow. dealer had only done a few CARS deals, and it was my sales guy's very first one. apparently the people before me did not have their sh*t together so i think i'd like to think that i restored their faith in the program, by having my stuff very much in order after tearing my house apart looking for my title.

was a little bummed that they did not have EITHER of my first two color choices (orange or silver) so settled for black rather than waiting.

looking forward to tomorrow. woo hoo!

Old 07-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dabigchet
i just did a deal yesterday after considerable research.

fit sport AT, 13900 OTD with my 1998 ford explorer (was original owner). i take receipt tomorrow. dealer had only done a few CARS deals, and it was my sales guy's very first one. apparently the people before me did not have their sh*t together so i think i'd like to think that i restored their faith in the program, by having my stuff very much in order after tearing my house apart looking for my title.

was a little bummed that they did not have EITHER of my first two color choices (orange or silver) so settled for black rather than waiting.

looking forward to tomorrow. woo hoo!
Good job! Getting that paperwork in order is CRITICAL to participate in the program. They simply can't do the deal without it. Especially with time being of the essence.

If you haven't seen the Clazzio seat covers, check it here:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gaug...tml#post676884

You could add a hint of orange, by having a custom order with the orange stitching.

As far as black, look at trancedsailor's sig picture here, black is the mirror color:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gaug...tml#post652149

Old 07-30-2009, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
I picked up my Fit Sport today!! yay! The paperwork itself was a breeze. They made me fill out some CARS stuff small form to sign and a survey no big deal.
The only problem was waiting for the car to finish getting detailed. They installed the armrest and had to adjust something and that took some extra time. All told i was there for close to 3 hours.
Sorry to see my Caddy go but I am also happy they didn't look in the trunk. Since its going to the scrapyard loaded up the trunk w/ stuff that the trashman wouldn't pick up..like old microwaves, computers monitors, spare rims, and and old beta max vcr! lol.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Early in this process, I had considered looking at Fords. In a parking lot this afternoon, I saw good example of why I'm glad I didn't. How much would you pay for the following:

Pinstripes
Paint protectant
Upholstery stain guard
Door protectors

How about $1995? That's how much the dealer added, according to the sticker on the rear window, to the selling price of the car. No wonder car dealers have a bad reputation. This afternoon I paid $5.92 for a can of Scotchguard and $2.99 for a pair of door protectors. Pinstripes and paint protectant? Obviously priceless.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gs3boynyc
I picked up my Fit Sport today!! yay! The paperwork itself was a breeze. They made me fill out some CARS stuff small form to sign and a survey no big deal.
The only problem was waiting for the car to finish getting detailed. They installed the armrest and had to adjust something and that took some extra time. All told i was there for close to 3 hours.
Sorry to see my Caddy go but I am also happy they didn't look in the trunk. Since its going to the scrapyard loaded up the trunk w/ stuff that the trashman wouldn't pick up..like old microwaves, computers monitors, spare rims, and and old beta max vcr! lol.
Time to update your signature, you got the Fit! Congratulations!

Good timing too, check out the news article Sandy found:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...tml#post711206

Old 07-31-2009, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gs3boynyc
As long as there aren't any bodies.

Do you feel like you went from being an observer at a track event, to being a participant? Sure, it's comfortable to watch agile runners leap or jump or sprint. But with a lighter-weight car, do you FEEL "Sportier"???

Old 07-31-2009, 04:12 AM
Just got my new Fit sport in silver from the dealer tonight. I found out that they were not going to honor any CFCs after midnight. It was kind of a madhouse do to all the last minute deals going down, but the whole process still only took 3 hours. Traded in my old Jeep Grand Cherokee. My only regret is that I won't be there to watch them shred it for scrap metal!

Old 07-31-2009, 09:38 AM
just got a call from the dealer that i cannot pick up today due to CARS being FUBARed. deposit is down, financing is in hand, insurance has been switched over. this SUCKS.

the thing that REALLY stinks is that i could have picked up yesterday, but i had a work commitment that made me delay until friday.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Old 07-31-2009, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member
just got a call from the dealer that i cannot pick up today due to CARS being FUBARed. deposit is down, financing is in hand, insurance has been switched over. this SUCKS.

the thing that REALLY stinks is that i could have picked up yesterday, but i had a work commitment that made me delay until friday.

Deep breath!

This is another thing that may slip into the system in favor of you. It depends on the wording and the dealer and whatever you've already filled out.

For instance, they might say "No NEW deals after midnight on Thursday"...but yours is not a NEW deal. Right?

What kinds of paperwork had you already filled out? If the insurance was switched over, that should mean you had a VIN, right? And the deposit was on a specific car. And papers were signed (some) prior to the cut-off.

My opinion, you get the deal. You get the voucher/rebate.

I've been waiting to hear what happens to rabbitdev, see this post:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...tml#post711176

Some of the paperwork wasn't finished. It's supposed to be signed today.

Will rabbitdev have the car taken back?

Will the rules allow people to have their cars if they have them in possession and not get the deal if they haven't taken delivery yet?

That's kind of dangerous, because there were undoubtedly many people in the middle of the process.

AND, remember the requirement for continual insurance? As pointed out by Sandy, if the old car's insurance has been discontinued, it might not QUALIFY if there is an extension. And that is NOT your fault.

The deal was done. You had a VIN. You signed stuff.

-------

Take another deep breath.

Then call your local news station. Their "hot tip" or "hotline" number.

We want this covered in the news. We want Congress to know about it.

The government has said they would honor all deals completed so far, right? What about those that were in progress, pretty much completed? We need to know.

You'll have proof from the financing people and the insurance people of the dates you provided them with the info, the VIN.

So the same way that customers were required to provide the information on their insurance and registration to start the deal, perhaps the government will allow people to COMPLETE the deal that can be PROVEN was started prior to the cut-off time/date.

-------

There could be all kinds of variations of this problem. For instance, dealerships that have MANY stores. You go to your local one, fill out the forms on Thursday, and they'll have the car you want to buy driven over from one of their other stores, and you can pick it up the next day.

Will those people be able to pick up their car? We don't know. Probably can't sign something legal/official until the car is delivered, and that might be due to NO fault of your own.

-------

Hold on to everything you have. Write down everything you remember. All the circumstances. While it's fresh in your mind.

My thought is that the partial deals will be accepted. All it will take is for one person to have their car delivered today, or something else similar to your situation and they DO get their car.

Then there's a legal problem. And there could be a bunch of those problems.

You may still be getting your car from the same place, but it might take a few days for them to get the go-ahead from the government. Don't trash any paperwork you have. Ask the dealership not to trash anything either.

------

And take another deep breath.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member

You might want to switch your insurance BACK and let your Ins. Co. know that the deal hasn't been consummated yet - if your deal doesn't happen and you get a chance to participate in CARS II, you don't want to have a lapse in your insurance that could make your clunker ineligible.

Sandy

Old 07-31-2009, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for everything, TW. We were able to drive off with a new Fit Sport one day before CARS officially started, trading in a 92 GMC Safari for $4,500. But I need to go back to the dealer - they charged us sales tax on the $16,800, not the reduced $12,300. I figure they owe us about $400.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
CHET!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got da big news!

Levin: 'Cash for Clunkers' good through Friday
By KEN THOMAS (AP) – 23 minutes ago
WASHINGTON — The Obama administration promised on Friday that the financially strapped "cash for clunkers" program will be good at least through the day.
Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., said he got the word from Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood as members of the Ohio and Michigan congressional delegations huddled on Capitol Hill to discuss ways to keep the popular program going.
"Beyond Friday," Levin said, "depends on whether the administration can find some money."
One participant in the meeting said they were examining possible funding sources and whether there were any glitches in the computer system. The participant, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the talk, said they were also studying how many dealers had enrolled in the system.
Through Wednesday afternoon, more than 23,000 dealer franchises were participating, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
The administration dispatched Brian Deese, a top adviser to the Treasury's auto task force, to the Hill meeting.
John McEleney, chairman of the National Automobile Dealers Association, said many dealers have been confused about whether the program will be extended and for how long. Many had stopped offering the deals Thursday after word came out that the funds available for the refunds had been exhausted.
"We are hoping for some clarity from the White House and Congress before the day is over," McEleney said Friday.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
WASHINGTON (AP) — A lawmaker says he's been assured by Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood that the financially strapped "cash for clunkers" program will be good at least through Friday.
Michigan Sen. Carl Levin said he got the word from the Obama administration as members of the Ohio and Michigan congressional delegations huddled on Capitol Hill to discuss ways to keep the popular program going.
Levin, a Democrat, said he received assurances that cars could be purchased under the program on Friday. He also said that beyond Friday, "depends on whether the administration can find some money."

The Associated Press: Levin: 'Cash for Clunkers' good through Friday

GOOOOOO NOOOOWWWWWW!

Old 07-31-2009, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
It ain't over 'till it's over. DABIGCHET. GO! (also posted on visitor message and sent a private message for you)

I'd try yelling out my window, but I'm in California and I don't think I can yell quite that loud.

Edit add-on: If there's anyone in Buffalo, N.Y., could they yell out the window and tell Dabigchet to go to the dealership? This is too stressful. I think I'm going to throw up. ha...

Last edited by TaffetaWhite; 07-31-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: It's like twittering/tweeting about nausea...
Old 07-31-2009, 12:15 PM
thanks everyone.

i think i gave the wrong impression. this is not a dead deal, and the dealer expects it to go through (as do i), but they will not release the car to me today, and apparently won't until they have confidence they are going to get their $4500. they are attempting to submit my clunker on the web site today.

it does seem that i am 100% at their mercy, though which completely sucks. i have zero faith that i would be able to initiate a new CARS transaction with another dealer today, so i don't see another option except to hope for the best.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
thanks everyone.

i think i gave the wrong impression. this is not a dead deal, and the dealer expects it to go through (as do i), but they will not release the car to me today, and apparently won't until they have confidence they are going to get their $4500. they are attempting to submit my clunker on the web site today.

it does seem that i am 100% at their mercy, though which completely sucks. i have zero faith that i would be able to initiate a new CARS transaction with another dealer today, so i don't see another option except to hope for the best.
Ah, there's even more news...I posted it in the news section...you can have your car, probably today:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...tml#post711866

------

White House officials scrambled to correct some news accounts that said the program was suspended because of lack of funds.

"If you were planning on going to buy a car this weekend, using this program, this program continues to run," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said at a morning White House briefing. "If you meet the requirements of the program, the certificates will be honored."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/was...ram-2009-07-31

Last edited by TaffetaWhite; 07-31-2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: added in a news link
Old 07-31-2009, 01:15 PM
dealer just called. pick up at 3:30 EST. woo hoo! what a rollercoaster.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
dealer just called. pick up at 3:30 EST. woo hoo! what a rollercoaster.
Whew! Maybe you should leave now, just in case.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:30 PM
On Friday, the Obama administration said it was working with Congress to try to get more money and that Clunkers deal certificates would be honored through the weekend.
"The program will be in place" for anyone who had been planning to make a car purchase this weekend, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs told CNN. "This program appears to be a success for car buyers, car dealers, car companies and taxpayers."
One of the program's main champions in Congress, Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., told CNN that the Michigan, Ohio and Indiana congressional delegations are working on a $2 billion extension of Clunkers program.

Boy did this money go fast! Never would have expected it... glad i picked mine up yesterday

Old 07-31-2009, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tunaman4u2
Boy did this money go fast! Never would have expected it... glad i picked mine up yesterday
I said that it might not make it through the end of the week and it didn't.

I'm going to bed now. I'm tired.

Y'all try not to blow through another billion or two while I'm sleeping.

Quick Reply: Clunker for FIT buying experiences