General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Clunker for FIT buying experiences

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by crivfit
My dealer made me pay the $4500.00 to get the car. I'll get a reimbursment when the Gov sends them their money. Is that legal?
No, it's not. It means that you didn't do a CARS (cash for clunkers) transaction with them, as they did NOT reduce the sale prices of the vehicle $4,500...

CARS.gov - Car Allowance Rebate System - Helpful Q&As for Consumers - Formerly Referred to as “Cash for Clunkers”

A dealer has demanded that I leave a signed check or credit card authorization in the amount of the CARS program credit that he will return to me if the credit application is approved, but keep if the credit application is rejected. Is the dealer allowed to do this?

NO. The dealer must reduce the price of the new vehicle by the credit amount. If a dealer has a check or credit card authorization given by you at the time of the sale, the dealer has not actually reduced the price as required by the CARS program. Take your trade-in to another dealer if a dealer makes this demand.

A dealer said he will wait to extend me the CARS program credit amount until after the dealer gets the money from the government. Is the dealer allowed to do this?

NO. The dealer must certify in its application for reimbursement that the dealer has already reduced the price of the new vehicle in the amount of the CARS program credit it requests

------

You need to call the CARS hotline:
(866)-CAR-7891
Hours:
M-F 8A-10P
Sat-Sun 10A-8P

Old 08-28-2009, 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by crivfit
My dealer made me pay the $4500.00 to get the car. I'll get a reimbursment when the Gov sends them their money. Is that legal?
Def not. I had luck with my county better business bureau, also multiple calls and letters faxed to State Rep in DC with all documents. Also your State Attorney General. The BBB here reacted the fastest with an email of the complaint sent to the dealer. The problem with your deal is how do you know the dealer tells you the truth if they say they are not paid? Then they keep your money and the government rebate. I spoke with cars.gov yesterday they said theey are working on a way that consumers can check status with their vin# or something- tho they had no idea when that would be ready, they said hopefully this week. Can you cancel the 4500 payment or was it certified?

Old 08-28-2009, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
Let the fines begin

And this is just for advertising:

BUFFALO, N.Y. (August 27, 2009) - Attorney General Andrew M. Cuomo today announced that his office has obtained a court order and settlement agreement amounting to a combined $70,000 in fines and costs against two Buffalo-area car dealers for deceptive and misleading advertising regarding the federal Car Allowance Rebate System ("CARS" or "Cash for Clunkers").

Media-Newswire.com - Press Release Distribution - PR Agency

Old 08-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Nice find, hopefully next will be the dealers who kept peoples clunkers and didn't give them the new vehicle. Go Cuomo!!

Old 08-29-2009, 12:22 AM
woohoo picked up mine today! Finally - thank you to all those local authorities... tho didnt get the carpet floor mats the salesman said would come with it...

Old 08-29-2009, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fringe gurl
woohoo picked up mine today! Finally - thank you to all those local authorities... tho didnt get the carpet floor mats the salesman said would come with it...
YAY! Congratulations!

I called the CARS Hotline myself today.

It's real nice they have the recording of so many options, the Battle Hymn of the Republic, outdated CARS info, various selections from e.e.cummings, and the secret list of ingredients of the coating for KFC, but it would have been nice to get a person a lot sooner.

After getting a person, even though I had to choose if I was a dealer or a consumer (neither, but chose consumer), I still got asked which I was. After babbling and explaining and coughing, I discovered all they do is take a name and phone number and pass it on to a project manager.

I asked to talk to one of them. I was asked what my "position" was. I responded "regular person of no importance". Needless to say, after being put on hold, I was told that no project manager was available to speak to me.

I wanted to know when fines would be assessed, and when cars would be delivered. I said that people were having to RENT cars because the dealer had their trade AND their new car, others were hornswoggled into paying $4,500 until the dealer got their refund.

It really does bother me that you folks followed the rules, and took in your clunker, and didn't get your car. It's the principle of the thing.

Hopefully everyone else waiting will get their cars soon too. Fingers crossed!

Old 08-29-2009, 09:36 AM
I got lucky, I suppose. I got so much hassle from the banks and the program itself, but my dealership was so accommodating. I wish you all could have gone to my dealership, but they've only got one left anyway

I wish you all luck and hope that those of you who are still in limbo get your cars (or your money) soon.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ShaylaRCakes
I got lucky, I suppose. I got so much hassle from the banks and the program itself, but my dealership was so accommodating. I wish you all could have gone to my dealership, but they've only got one left anyway

I wish you all luck and hope that those of you who are still in limbo get your cars (or your money) soon.
There's no doubt about it, some of the dealers were AWESOME. You should mention the dealer's name too. So that people will have an idea of where to go, where at least ONE person had an excellent experience.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Walser Honda in Burnsville, MN (Burnsville Walser Honda | New & Used Honda Cars)

They were great. You could tell they were trying to enjoy the long hours C4C was causing them to have. Staying open late, providing pizza to patient children that were waiting for their parents to get to leave with their car, tvs, computers, music... it was great.

They're non-commission which is why I leaned towards them to begin with, and I believe the Walser group was given a local award for being a women-friendly car dealership. They didn't treat me as a less-than because I was doing C4C, or because I had never bought a car before. They took the time to explain things to me that I didn't know and they never, ever pressured me into anything I didn't want or need.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:06 AM
Nice to see the good stories!! Congrats ShaylaRCakes! hmmm Minnesota soooo - 23 hours via google maps - so 46hrs round trip ...I would have made out better!!! and a road trip to boot- dang! Thanks TaffetaWhite - you're comments and guidance were encouraging and helpful!
BTW your comments was funny!! I was wondering if you had ever contacted the CARS hotline - fun wasn't it?? I went thee same route asking to speak to a nmanger- was told one would call me back, that was Thursday. a tad frustrating to put it mildly!!

Old 08-30-2009, 12:49 AM
apologies for the terrible typos in that last post, my mouse died and my pad is on the fritz.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Fringe gurl: Congrats on getting your Fit!

Old 09-09-2009, 04:51 AM
5 Year Member
It's still not over...

Some dealers asking consumers for the $4,500 if the application is rejected

A good portion of CARS applications are being rejected – and sent back to dealers. That should mean the dealer eats that $4,500 rebate the car buyer received. Instead, some dealers are telling people they need to pay up. According to the government, asking for repayment if the rebate is rejected is not allowed. If this happens to you – report the dealer via the CARS hotline at (866) CAR-7891.

More at the source:
http://www.examiner.com/x-14932-Cincinnati-Business-Insight-Examiner~y2009m9d8-Cash-for-Clunkers--Car-Buyers-Asked-to-Give-Back-Rebates
------
Missouri consumers could be fined, thanks to dealers holding on to the paperwork.

Missouri consumers who participated in the federal "Cash for Clunkers" program this summer could face state fines.The state Department of Revenue said some customers left dealers' parking lots without the paperwork needed to register and title their new vehicles. If they don't register the vehicles within 30 days, they could be fined $25 per month, or up to $200.

More at the source:
Cash for Clunkers car buyers could be fined in Mo. - Forbes.com
------
Call the New York Attorney General, if you don't have your car (and you're in New York).

We're still hearing from folks who haven't received their new cars. Understandably, dealers want confirmation that they're going to get paid before they release the new cars, but technically that's against the rules of the program.
If you made a Cash for Clunker deal and you still don't have your new vehicle, call the Attorney General's office at 448-4848 and file a complaint. They're contacting dealers who aren't playing by the rules and letting them know there will be penalties if they don't release the cars.

A little more at the source:
http://http://www.9wsyr.com/content/news/real_deal/story/Cash-for-Clunkers-headaches-continue-The-Real-Deal/2BGxkVbHjUScjWlXz5tefA.cspx
------

Old 09-14-2009, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
Another Good Dealer Story

Part of my clunker deal was that the dealer agreed I would receive the actual scrap value for my '88 Astro once they actually scrapped it. I haven't pushed the dealer on this at all, but today I received a check for $204 in the mail. I made the original clunker deal by phone on July 9, and picked up the car on July 28 after the program officially started and the rules were finalized. My price was around $17,100 (including destination, but before tax and $250 doc fee) for an AT Sport with two spare keys cut and programmed - no other extras like mats, etc. I didn't push the dealer real hard on price or other freebees figuring I would share a little of my clunker windfall with them but it was still a decent price for this area.

Overall, I think this dealer deserves a lot of credit for handling the cash for clunker program efficiently and treating my very well in the process. This was Park Honda, Akron, OH.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ultrawolf
Part of my clunker deal was that the dealer agreed I would receive the actual scrap value for my '88 Astro once they actually scrapped it. I haven't pushed the dealer on this at all, but today I received a check for $204 in the mail. I made the original clunker deal by phone on July 9, and picked up the car on July 28 after the program officially started and the rules were finalized. My price was around $17,100 (including destination, but before tax and $250 doc fee) for an AT Sport with two spare keys cut and programmed - no other extras like mats, etc. I didn't push the dealer real hard on price or other freebees figuring I would share a little of my clunker windfall with them but it was still a decent price for this area.

Overall, I think this dealer deserves a lot of credit for handling the cash for clunker program efficiently and treating my very well in the process. This was Park Honda, Akron, OH.
AWESOME!

Way to go, Park Honda in Akron!

That's a great way to do it too, sending out the amount later on, when they do have an ACTUAL figure on the scrap value. Estimates would vary anyway.

That is great news to hear!

Old 01-09-2011, 06:07 PM
glad i did a "clunker" deal

traded: 00 Nissan Pathfinder 190,000 miles
got: 09 Fit Sport black AT

best move i ever made, Aug 18, 2009.
the "Clunker" program was winding down; govt $ was runnin out fast.
i went to the Honda dealer in Hazelwood MO; they hooked me up.

my Pathfinder had:
- sunroof that stuck 3 INCHES OPEN! and had been for 10 months!! i would cover it with plastic & duct tape.
- half the dashboard lights were out
- needed 4 new tires (at $180/tire)
- rusted side step bar & rocker panel
- cracked windshield, needed new one before state inspection
- severe hail damage
- needed tune up
- needed transmission flush & fill

value had to be $1500 tops; more like $800.

yes i have payments now, but i've cut my gas costs in half.
and many many many $ in repair costs which would have been several car payments worth anyway.