General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Clunker for FIT buying experiences

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 02:18 AM
Well, I do think everything will work out, I believe from the getgo the dealers will be paid-unless they screw up the apps and don't send the corrections. A friend was quoted $50 scrap, then credited me 50 - which that dealer was entitled to keep under the law. That's an awfully simple mistake. Maybe dealers needed to follow the rules a bit more closely- maybe that hard for them since, in my experience, it's tough to get them to be honorable. There's no data yet on how many dealers haven't been paid because they did not submit apps correctly. I am glad that the DOT has added the 4000 workers to help get the dealers paid. But I don't have sympathy for this Glen Head dealer when the law/rule/amendments is clear, they are required to release the new vehicle before the application is submitted. They ARE selling more cars as a result of this program, it was voluntary on their part and now I have to go rent a car until they get paid.
Hypothetically, if the dealer screws up the application, who pays to switch registration back? Who pays the insurance on the new fit while it sits in their lot, who pays the rental on my car since they have my clunker-which is now uninsured anyway, and god-forbid what happens if one of their drivers gets in an accident while transporting the fit to there storage lot? I don't think that Congress intended for hundreds of thousands of consumers to be without a vehicle for any period of time. G'nite all!

Old 08-23-2009, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by Fringe gurl
Well, I do think everything will work out, I believe from the getgo the dealers will be paid-unless they screw up the apps and don't send the corrections. A friend was quoted $50 scrap, then credited me 50 - which that dealer was entitled to keep under the law. That's an awfully simple mistake. Maybe dealers needed to follow the rules a bit more closely- maybe that hard for them since, in my experience, it's tough to get them to be honorable. There's no data yet on how many dealers haven't been paid because they did not submit apps correctly. I am glad that the DOT has added the 4000 workers to help get the dealers paid. But I don't have sympathy for this Glen Head dealer when the law/rule/amendments is clear, they are required to release the new vehicle before the application is submitted. They ARE selling more cars as a result of this program, it was voluntary on their part and now I have to go rent a car until they get paid.
Hypothetically, if the dealer screws up the application, who pays to switch registration back? Who pays the insurance on the new fit while it sits in their lot, who pays the rental on my car since they have my clunker-which is now uninsured anyway, and god-forbid what happens if one of their drivers gets in an accident while transporting the fit to there storage lot? I don't think that Congress intended for hundreds of thousands of consumers to be without a vehicle for any period of time. G'nite all!
My local lot lets us keep the clunkers. Until they get paid and then you switch things out.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:32 AM
"My local lot lets us keep the clunkers. Until they get paid and then you switch things out. "

how is that possible? Given the Title has to be marked Cash 4 Clunkers before the processing?

Old 08-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by ORfit4me
"My local lot lets us keep the clunkers. Until they get paid and then you switch things out. "

how is that possible? Given the Title has to be marked Cash 4 Clunkers before the processing?
I don't know, hear in NY you have to insure the new vehicle so usuallly that means out take insurance off the old one, and legally we can't drive without insurance. oh well.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LittleMissE
My local lot lets us keep the clunkers. Until they get paid and then you switch things out.
That is also against the CARS program, and you also need to call the Hotline.

IF THE DEALER HAS THE NEW CAR IN STOCK, THE DEALER MUST ALLOW YOU TO TAKE POSSESSION OF THE NEW CAR BEFORE THE DEALER MAY SUBMIT THE CREDIT APPLICATION TO THE GOVERNMENT. PLEASE REPORT ANY DEALER TO NHTSA THAT DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO TAKE POSSESSION OF A NEW CAR PURCHASED UNDER THE CARS PROGRAM. PLEASE CALL THE CARS HOTLINE AT (866)-CAR-7891.

CARS.gov - Car Allowance Rebate System - Home - Formerly Referred to as “Cash for Clunkers” click on page 3 (the 3 with a circle around it).

Old 08-23-2009, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Yay for the FIT:

Bryan Mason, 40, of San Francisco, founder of an Internet start-up company, said he had planned to buy a new car to replace his red 2000 Jeep Cherokee with 133,000 miles during the next couple of weeks.
Filling Out Paperwork
“When I heard the program was ending on the news last night, I was here this morning when the doors opened,” Mason said yesterday, while filling out paperwork to buy a 2009 Honda Fit from a dealership in Oakland, California. He said it was the only place that had the car in the color he wanted.
“I’ve had my eye on it,” he said. “I am here today because I wanted to make sure all my paperwork is processed in time.”

Car Buyers Make ?Mad Dash? to Dealers as Clunkers Program Ends - Bloomberg.com

Old 08-23-2009, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
News story for those who don't have their Fits yet:

On Thursday, General Motors Co. and Chrysler joined Toyota and Honda in easing dealers' cash crunch caused by delayed government processing of their cash-for-clunkers rebates.

GM will offer dealers a 30-day interest-free loan equal to the total of cash-for-clunker rebates each dealer has pending. Chrysler also will provide 30-day financing, but it was not clear late Thursday whether it would be interest-free.

"We're just finalizing the details right now," Chrysler spokeswoman Kathy Graham said.

Ford Motor Credit Co. spokeswoman Meredith Libbey said her company has expanded used-car inventory financing for dealers rather than making payments or loans in lieu of cash-for-clunkers rebates. Toyota Financial Services is offering loans to dealers for up to 60 days to cover the lag between a dealership's payment and its reimbursement.

American Honda Financial is allowing dealers to deduct the amounts of their rebates when they pay off inventory loans on vehicles.

Car companies ease dealers' cash crises | Detroit Free Press | Freep.com
------

Chris Martin, a representative from American Honda Motor Co., said, "Realizing the government is not necessarily paying the CARS allowance money instantaneously, we've allowed the dealers to have an additional 20 days to pay the amount of the rebate in each transaction to give them some time to get the money back from the government."

Toyota and Honda step in during "Clunkers" delay - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |
------

Old 08-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Still haven't gotten my new FIT. a north shore honda dealer on long island (NY) refuses to follow the law. I've followed all the steps and the dealer was able to send the CARS app in this past weekend. Just no car and now I'm in limbo paying for a rental. I thoink the government should hold pack payments to anydealer who has not released the new cars to consumers.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Still haven't gotten my new FIT. a north shore honda dealer on long island (NY) refuses to follow the law. I've followed all the steps and the dealer was able to send the CARS app in this past weekend. Just no car and now I'm in limbo paying for a rental. I thoink the government should hold pack payments to anydealer who has not released the new cars to consumers.
Keep calling the Hotline. Ask them for a status update on your situation.

The government will probably pay the dealer so you can have you car. But the government may also assess fines for the dealer breaking the laws associated with the CARS program.

You want to get YOUR car, and get the heck away from that specific dealer. Take your service needs elsewhere, I'm sure there must be other dealerships in the area that are good ones.

The only people who can get you your car is the dealer and the government, right now. For additional costs you would probably have to go to small claims court, like for the rental car.

If it's something the dealer was doing to many people, you all might be able to organize a group to chip in on a lawyer.

But start by trying to get your car, and keep contacting the government, since they are the ones that enforce the CARS laws.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Hey there, Well I've called the hotline, quite honestly that has not been helpful tho the operators are sweet. Each time they take the same info, and say they will send it along (to whom they do not know) and I should receive a callback in 24-48 hours. I did get a record # one-time, but next time I called, they said they wouldn't be able to pull it up, so I'm not really sure how to get them to check on the situation if they can never check on anything. They ask name, phone number in case we get disconnected, and the reason I'm calling, then except for 2x where the operator asked for the dealer name, they say they understand my problem and will pass it along.
Call to gov't officials has been helpful but not fruitful, still working on that - I do have to work too! Really though, Congress needs to do something fast to help consumers who are suffering because of dealers with no regard for the law. I am following up with an attorney and I will not let it go. American Honda has been helpful and I hope to hear back from them tomorrow. I do have an attorney who faxed the dealership a letter asking them to realease the car, to no avail, and AUTOCAP also spoke to the owner of the dealership who insisted he would not release the car. So at the least there is a trail of the guy telling lots of people he is not following the law and probably committed fraud by telling the CARS program that he complied with all CARS regulations (as required to sign off on on their application)

Old 08-24-2009, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Yay for the FIT:

Bryan Mason, 40, of San Francisco, founder of an Internet start-up company, said he had planned to buy a new car to replace his red 2000 Jeep Cherokee with 133,000 miles during the next couple of weeks. ... to buy a 2009 Honda Fit from a dealership in Oakland, California.
Car Buyers Make ?Mad Dash? to Dealers as Clunkers Program Ends - Bloomberg.com
Yah, I saw this too and thought "I wonder if he's on fitfreak".. and "maybe we should invite him here, if not.."

Old 08-25-2009, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by interestingstuff
Yah, I saw this too and thought "I wonder if he's on fitfreak".. and "maybe we should invite him here, if not.."
I'm guessing that many people will find this place the same way I did, via a Google search for something related to the Honda Fit. I think I was searching for accessories. All the dealer stuff and aftermarket stuff. Also for white vinyl seat covers. I still haven't found those.

There are many new people in the check in if you bought a Fit thread. From the CARS program. They're getting here somehow!

Old 08-25-2009, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
fu<k cash for clunkers

Old 08-25-2009, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member
For those who have shared their stories, or feel like sharing, CNN Money is looking for your experiences too.

Did buy a new car under the Cash for Clunkers program? Please share the details. What did you buy? What did you trade in? How much did you pay? We want to find out if people have gotten deals out of this program or not. E-mail your story to realstories@cnnmoney.com or send in an iReport and you could be part of an upcoming article.
------

For those still looking to buy, now may NOT be the best time, Edmunds suggests waiting. "The main question now is 'How fast can everybody restock their inventories?'" he said.
Once that happens, Anwyl of Edmunds.com said he expects car prices to fall quickly. Automakers will need to start adding incentives again to get people to buy all those newly minted cars. Anwyl expects incentives of about $3,000 on average.
"I would wait until probably November," Anwyl said.

Both from:
Clunkers: What happens now - Aug. 24, 2009
------

I figure it's a good idea to check out what lots have whenever you have time, if you are looking for a car. Scope out the dealerships, see how well you are treated. Meet some sales people or check out the Parts department.

Then you have contacts. You have someone to call to check on new inventory. You have someone to call you, if you've made up your mind about a specific car.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Exclamation Please help me get my FIT

All you need to do is go to this link.
There is a congress "soap box" there - I need all the help I can get and I know I'm not the only one out there! Basically it automatically emails your US Senator and Representative (based on the zipcode u put in) then you fill out some info and wallah! an email is sentto the powers that be to have them do something about all the people out there not getting their new cars!
Feel free to add my email (shanson421@yahoo.com) in the section and then I'll know you sent something in and can thank you here on fitfreak! Much love and appreciation to all who can help! It won't cost you anything more than 2 minutes! Congress.org - NEW YORK CAR DEALER KEEPS HONDA HOSTAGE in Cash for Clunkers transactions!

If any of you feel like passing this onto more appropriate threads that would be great!

Old 08-26-2009, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
All you need to do is go to this link.
There is a congress "soap box" there - I need all the help I can get and I know I'm not the only one out there! Basically it automatically emails your US Senator and Representative (based on the zipcode u put in) then you fill out some info and wallah! an email is sentto the powers that be to have them do something about all the people out there not getting their new cars!
Feel free to add my email (shanson421@yahoo.com) in the section and then I'll know you sent something in and can thank you here on fitfreak! Much love and appreciation to all who can help! It won't cost you anything more than 2 minutes! Congress.org - NEW YORK CAR DEALER KEEPS HONDA HOSTAGE in Cash for Clunkers transactions!

If any of you feel like passing this onto more appropriate threads that would be great!
This will do as much good as an internet petition (i.e. just about useless).

Slacktivism (minimal effort activism) does not have any real-world effect other than make you feel better that you are making a "difference". See "gas station boycotts" on wednesday, wearing a particular color item, not eating french fries.

You need to actually take some real action (call, send in written mail) to have an effect.

see: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/internet.asp

Old 08-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Honda still held hostage by dealer

Originally Posted by raytseng
This will do as much good as an internet petition (i.e. just about useless).

Slacktivism (minimal effort activism) does not have any real-world effect other than make you feel better that you are making a "difference". See "gas station boycotts" on wednesday, wearing a particular color item, not eating french fries.

You need to actually take some real action (call, send in written mail) to have an effect.

see: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/internet.asp
Yes, but it can't hurt if there are others asking for action as well, this is a congress link not an on line petition, so I remain hopeful and thankful to anyone who can send in a concern. I def wouldn't say I'm slackin', I've called CAR.gov 8 times, each time they can not tell me progress, they can not tell me where the info they take "goes" now they are telling me to email the details to help@cars.gov and stateag@cars.gov. The GOOD news is that they are working on a system whereby the buyer can inquire about the progress of the application using their vin#. No definitive answer on when that was happening. Having done so about 24 hrs ago I still have not in received an automated response. Letters and spoke with 2 Senators and 1 Representative, Complaints filed with American Honda, BBB, NY Attorney General, Nassau County Consumer Fraud Division, spoke with the NC Police Dept,

Old 08-27-2009, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
My Cash for Clunkers purchase

Clunker: 2001 Isuzu Rodeo (183,000 miles, needs several stuff done to pass safety and emissions inspections in december, some body damage)

New: 2009 Honda Fit Sport, AT, Storm Silver Metallic

At first, we weren't going to do it, because I knew from my Rodeo's sticker that it got 17 city, 21 highway, for an average above the 17mpg limit. But around August 10th I checked the CARS website and realized they adjusted the avg MPG to the new EPA standards, and it showed my Rodeo being approved for clunker status. So my wife and I decided to get rid of the money pit and we decided on August 15th we'd look at several cars and see what we liked. First stop was Ford, for a Focus. Salesperson informed me during test drive that they were not participating in cash for clunkers, but were doing really well matching the 3500/4500 CARS rebate. Or getting pretty close. I was like, if you can't give me the exact 4500, then I'm not even looking. Ford was not really crowded.

Next stop, Toyota. This place was packed! I tested a Corolla (it was alright) and tested a Scion xB (it was nice). My wife and I didn't like the color however.

So off to Honda. First Honda we went too, wasn't too crowded. We looked at Fits and I test drove it (loved it). Wife tested it in parking lot (loved it). But at this dealer they were known for adding extras to the car (pinstripes) that we didn't really need. Went in to deal. We were looking to take 900 off the price (700 + 200 pinstripe). They could only take off 400. I said you will lose a customer over 500 bucks? They dropped another 150. I said no deal and left. Then on our way home we hit a newly relocated honda dealer closer to our house. They were moderately crowded. We found the Fit we liked, already 200 off from the previous dealer for no pinstripes. I told the salesman we already test drove it and wanted to see what we could do. Went inside. Offered 17000 even. He came back with 17100. We took it. Got all the CARS paperwork done except for my insurance proof. They said no problem, just email/fax us the proof of insurance on monday. So they took my clunker and we got to leave in our new Fit! Emailed the proof of insurance monday 17th. Had to go back in on the 19th to fill out a CARS form that was misplaced. Received my MCO on Aug. 25th. Pretty simple.

Went through all the paperwork, no problems. Showed me the scrape value on the CARS form as $50. During financing, business manager tried to sell the extras. He explained them, I declined, and he wasn't pushy.

I also get free car washes for as long as I own the car. I know it's not much, but it's a nice perk.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by STL_FIT
Clunker: 2001 Isuzu Rodeo (183,000 miles, needs several stuff done to pass safety and emissions inspections in december, some body damage)

New: 2009 Honda Fit Sport, AT, Storm Silver Metallic

At first, we weren't going to do it, because I knew from my Rodeo's sticker that it got 17 city, 21 highway, for an average above the 17mpg limit. But around August 10th I checked the CARS website and realized they adjusted the avg MPG to the new EPA standards, and it showed my Rodeo being approved for clunker status. So my wife and I decided to get rid of the money pit and we decided on August 15th we'd look at several cars and see what we liked. First stop was Ford, for a Focus. Salesperson informed me during test drive that they were not participating in cash for clunkers, but were doing really well matching the 3500/4500 CARS rebate. Or getting pretty close. I was like, if you can't give me the exact 4500, then I'm not even looking. Ford was not really crowded.

Next stop, Toyota. This place was packed! I tested a Corolla (it was alright) and tested a Scion xB (it was nice). My wife and I didn't like the color however.

So off to Honda. First Honda we went too, wasn't too crowded. We looked at Fits and I test drove it (loved it). Wife tested it in parking lot (loved it). But at this dealer they were known for adding extras to the car (pinstripes) that we didn't really need. Went in to deal. We were looking to take 900 off the price (700 + 200 pinstripe). They could only take off 400. I said you will lose a customer over 500 bucks? They dropped another 150. I said no deal and left. Then on our way home we hit a newly relocated honda dealer closer to our house. They were moderately crowded. We found the Fit we liked, already 200 off from the previous dealer for no pinstripes. I told the salesman we already test drove it and wanted to see what we could do. Went inside. Offered 17000 even. He came back with 17100. We took it. Got all the CARS paperwork done except for my insurance proof. They said no problem, just email/fax us the proof of insurance on monday. So they took my clunker and we got to leave in our new Fit! Emailed the proof of insurance monday 17th. Had to go back in on the 19th to fill out a CARS form that was misplaced. Received my MCO on Aug. 25th. Pretty simple.

Went through all the paperwork, no problems. Showed me the scrape value on the CARS form as $50. During financing, business manager tried to sell the extras. He explained them, I declined, and he wasn't pushy.

I also get free car washes for as long as I own the car. I know it's not much, but it's a nice perk.
Nice deal! love the free car washes!
I got (well not yet) the same car at 17780 then they tacked on a 135 filing fee - but in metro NY there is was no negotiating with the price. They just tell you flat out go somewhere else. Another dealer wouldn't make the deal on the price of the car until AFTER they sent over the finance manager to sell you the add-ons. After I declined their $1495 Hondacare which they said was $400 off the regular price, Honda City told me "We're lucky to live in a capitalist society, and I can choose to do a deal or not, the price is $1000 over sticker or you can go somewhere else!" What an a$$! It tough in Nassau County!

Old 08-27-2009, 11:23 PM
My dealer made me pay the $4500.00 to get the car. I'll get a reimbursment when the Gov sends them their money. Is that legal?

Quick Reply: Clunker for FIT buying experiences