General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Clunker for FIT buying experiences

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by vbwball
Traded in a 1993 Ford Ranger. Count me as one of the luckier ones. For 10 days or so I had negotiated via the internet with multiple dealers and received several OTD quotes of 18,200 for a Sport Automatic. On July 23rd I accepted an offer via the internet from one of the few dealers willing to hold an existing car for me until I could get home and use the C4C program the following week. They charged 16,775 for the car and destination transportation. Added $250 document fees and subtracted $100 scrap credit (they used a standard $150 scrap value of which the dealer keeps $50). I had to pay the 7% Ohio sales tax on the resulting $16,925 (Ohio is one of the states that makes you pay sales tax prior to deducting the C4C rebate). Then they added a $25.50 title fee for an OTD price of $18,135. After applying the $4500 C4C rebate I wrote a check for $13,635. I believed when I made the deal I could have gotten a lower price but I went with a dealer I was comfortable with and who would hold a specific car till the program started and I got back in town. On July 29th I walked in, processed the paperwork, paid, and drove away in my new Fit. No arguments to get some scrap value and no contract conditions regarding C4C working. No pressure for add-on options or extended warranty. Most pleasant buying experience ever. I count myself as lucky given some of the posts I have been seeing lately.
I completed the paperwork for a new Fit Sport and left my clunker with the dealer last Saturday. I still haven't taken delivery of it. I called the dealer yesterday and they told me that they chose "option B" of the cash for clunkers program, whereas customers have to leave their clunkers with the dealer, but aren't allowed to take the new car home until the gov't approves the deal.

I hate that I have to wait so long, especially when I'm hearing that everyone else has been able to take the new cars home with them on the spot. Waiting for the govt to approve it can take weeks.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by brianl
I completed the paperwork for a new Fit Sport and left my clunker with the dealer last Saturday. I still haven't taken delivery of it. I called the dealer yesterday and they told me that they chose "option B" of the cash for clunkers program, whereas customers have to leave their clunkers with the dealer, but aren't allowed to take the new car home until the gov't approves the deal.

I hate that I have to wait so long, especially when I'm hearing that everyone else has been able to take the new cars home with them on the spot. Waiting for the govt to approve it can take weeks.
I finished my deal with CARS and my dealership July 30th, but I didn't have to leave my clunker with them..I'm still driving it. Just finished a final last minute paper that they said they had to still get this Tuesday the 4th. They said I can take delivery when they get approval from the government, not when they actually receive the $4500. I'm hoping it is sometime this upcoming week....They told me it should take around 5 business days for the gov't to review/process/give approval for a CLUNKER.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member

Do you have any other dealers in the area? There is no "option B". They're covering their butt, but have left you without a car...the old one and the new one.

They can hold onto the old car on their lot and not euthanize it until the deal is approved by the government. But there's nothing that says anything about holding the new car.

Is the rest of the car financed and everything else?

There is a rock and hard place area, in that it states the title of the vehicle must be marked for the program before submitting the paperwork. After which the clunker is not driven, it's stored.

Obama should be signing the bill today.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jamesco411
I finished my deal with CARS and my dealership July 30th, but I didn't have to leave my clunker with them..I'm still driving it. Just finished a final last minute paper that they said they had to still get this Tuesday the 4th. They said I can take delivery when they get approval from the government, not when they actually receive the $4500. I'm hoping it is sometime this upcoming week....They told me it should take around 5 business days for the gov't to review/process/give approval for a CLUNKER.
This is interesting. I did not realize that dealerships were going to hold on to the new car.

That can really cause a problem for people if they only have ONE car.

I don't like this at all. Especially since not all dealers are doing it. Apparently some dealers are competent and confident enough that they have filled out all the paperwork correctly and have no problem releasing the vehicle.

Do the dealers provide a free rental car?

Old 08-07-2009, 11:11 AM
I don't know if they're just trying to cover their butts or not. I think maybe they were concerned that the program would run out of money before they got paid for all of them. I'm kind of hoping that since the extra $2 billion was passed, they may call me and just let me take the car. It's obvious now that it will be approved and they will get paid.

My salesman told me that they had a stack of about 20 deals worth of paperwork sitting there and only one of them has been approved so far. Very frustrating! I don't need the clunker so it's not a big deal. I'm just excited to get my new car!

Old 08-07-2009, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know if they're just trying to cover their butts or not. I think maybe they were concerned that the program would run out of money before they got paid for all of them. I'm kind of hoping that since the extra $2 billion was passed, they may call me and just let me take the car. It's obvious now that it will be approved and they will get paid.

My salesman told me that they had a stack of about 20 deals worth of paperwork sitting there and only one of them has been approved so far. Very frustrating! I don't need the clunker so it's not a big deal. I'm just excited to get my new car!
Maybe they don't know what the heck they're doing!

While it's not exactly rocket surgery, there's been more than enough confusion with the program to throw everyone off.

Obama signed the bill today, $2B is on it's way to the program. So that shouldn't be an issue.

The only problem a dealership should have with not letting you have the car now, is if their own people are totally messing up on the paperwork, causing the deals to be declined.

If the forms aren't completed properly, they (the feds) will turn down the deal. No brainer there. For the same reason we can't cash someone's check who forgot to sign it. All the parts have to be completed.

Do you know if other local dealers are doing the same thing? Is there a way to change dealers so you can get your car?

Old 08-07-2009, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HondabRiTT
how'd you like alaska?
Alaska 2006: The Lone Librarian Rides Again

Old 08-07-2009, 05:21 PM
The least exciting experience i've had with a dealer. They took the keys to my van, verified the VIN#, and I haven't heard a word about it since...didn't give a rat's ass that I had gutted the interior. Easy $4500.

It helped to do a little homework, and know what they needed....proof of insurance for a year, reg papers for this year and last, and of course the title.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Watsoff
The least exciting experience i've had with a dealer. They took the keys to my van, verified the VIN#, and I haven't heard a word about it since...didn't give a rat's ass that I had gutted the interior. Easy $4500.

It helped to do a little homework, and know what they needed....proof of insurance for a year, reg papers for this year and last, and of course the title.
I was tempted to do the same thing with my SUV. Planned on stopping at the junkyard the day before and get whatever I could for anything I wouldn't need for the car to still drive (roof rack, leather interior in great condition, radio/cd changer, arm rest/bin, etc). I figured they are going to junk it anyway so why not? I decided against it just in case because then I'd be left with no rebate and a stripped down clunker.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Hi Everyone,

We started our deal for a base Storm Silver M/T Fit on July 26th. The salesman told us that the dealership was swamped by all of the clunker applications that were being submitted. There were 30 applications that weekend alone. We finally took delivery this morning after dropping off our 99 Ford Ranger. The process was fairly painless except for running to the dealer with insurance cards for the Ford from the past year. The dealer had 16 Fits when we first went on July 26th. After picking ours up this morning, he had 8 left. I was sad to leave my trusty Ford behind but am looking forward to the experience that the Fit offers. I've already told my twin 5 year old sons that they'll most likely learn to drive in this car.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by CT2009Fitter
.....I've already told my twin 5 year old sons that they'll most likely learn to drive in this car.
...and there's one of the reasons I bought a car like this at my age. My 12 yr old son will be on the roads soon enough. He went with me to narrow down my selection, and to test drive some other options...even though I knew it was gonna end-up being a Fit.

If all goes well, he'll be learning in this car when the time comes....but for now, I'm gonna enjoy it!

Old 08-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Watsoff
...and there's one of the reasons I bought a car like this at my age. My 12 yr old son will be on the roads soon enough. He went with me to narrow down my selection, and to test drive some other options...even though I knew it was gonna end-up being a Fit.

If all goes well, he'll be learning in this car when the time comes....but for now, I'm gonna enjoy it!
I figure by the time my eldest son is on the road I'd be better of having had given him lessons on how to survive the post-gas war wastelands of Mad Max than a car.

Now what does one give a future road warrior? Dog food, leg brace, last of the V8 interceptors...

Old 08-08-2009, 03:52 AM
I traded in my 1991 Acura Legend for a Tafetta White Sport Auto. They made me pay sticker price because i was trading in through cash for clunkers. Anyone else have the same experience? or did i get gipped -_-

Old 08-08-2009, 05:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow
I traded in my 1991 Acura Legend for a Tafetta White Sport Auto. They made me pay sticker price because i was trading in through cash for clunkers. Anyone else have the same experience? or did i get gipped -_-
I wouldn't say getting $3,500-$4,500 off MSRP on a Fit is gypped. Consumer Reports suggests starting like you are doing a regular deal, talking down the price if you can, and then doing the Clunker deal on top of the negotiated final price.

But I did say way back when that on the Fit, paying MSRP and then getting $4,500 off is probably what most deals will be. They don't make TONS of profit on MSRP. And the Fit is one of the BEST cars out there.

I got a couple hundred off MSRP (I think), and my old clunker was towed away and I got $75.00 scrap for it. Back in December. I thought that was a good enough deal. That was before Cash for Clunkers/CARS. I was fine with that. I still am. I have a great car. At a reasonable price.

NO ONE HERE got $4,500 off their Fit who wasn't in the CARS program. No one.

I don't know what it is about buying cars, but for some reason, many of us come away wondering if we paid too much. But the whole process is full of variables.

If you have a trade-in, how much will it be valued at? Depends on the vehicle and how well it's been taken care of and the miles and sometimes even the color or transmission or interior or engine.

If you're buying a new car, what car, and where are you? Some locations can command a premium for their vehicles (including dealer markup), or charge more because it's a newly designed model. So you PAY for the opportunity to be the first kid on the block to have the new model.

Other areas might try incentives or markdowns, because the same model is just not selling. Why? Maybe everybody needs trucks! You need to have a truck for farming and ranching and construction and landscaping. Or maybe most of the roads in the area are less than smooth, lots of dirt or gravel. It doesn't have to be everyone's road, it only has to be the road of the person looking to buy a car. They need to be able to get home. LOL!

Next, the real price that is paid for the vehicle includes financing. And down payment. Some folks have a bigger down payment. Some folks have established credit. Some might belong to credit unions that have special rates. People new to credit often have to pay higher interest rates.

Insurance is also a factor in most states. Add that to the price of the car. And that's a variable. Not just from your driving record, but you might get a multi-car discount, or a discount from having homeowner's insurance with the same company.

Gas prices, might be more or less. The labor hourly wage on service work might vary. Some people do a lot of their work. That's a savings I will never get.

That's a lot to consider, but it all has to do with the cost of ownership.

Congratulations on your new car!!!

Old 08-08-2009, 05:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Janizary

Now what does one give a future road warrior? Dog food, leg brace, last of the V8 interceptors...
...Little Debbie's Snack cakes and Diet Cola.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CT2009Fitter
Hi Everyone,

We started our deal for a base Storm Silver M/T Fit on July 26th. The salesman told us that the dealership was swamped by all of the clunker applications that were being submitted. There were 30 applications that weekend alone. We finally took delivery this morning after dropping off our 99 Ford Ranger. The process was fairly painless except for running to the dealer with insurance cards for the Ford from the past year. The dealer had 16 Fits when we first went on July 26th. After picking ours up this morning, he had 8 left. I was sad to leave my trusty Ford behind but am looking forward to the experience that the Fit offers. I've already told my twin 5 year old sons that they'll most likely learn to drive in this car.
Luckily, the Fit has that "You must step on the brake pedal to put the car in gear" safety feature. You don't want the youngsters trying to start driving early. LOL!

Are you in a busy area? Thirty deals that first weekend? It still amazes me that the government originally thought 12 deals per dealership on average would last over 3 months.

And anyone who is still waiting to do their deal should probably still hurry in.

"The early bird gets the worm"

Old 08-08-2009, 05:26 AM
TY! nice post. i feel alot better about my car now haha.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AintNoStoppinMeNow
I was tempted to do the same thing with my SUV. Planned on stopping at the junkyard the day before and get whatever I could for anything I wouldn't need for the car to still drive (roof rack, leather interior in great condition, radio/cd changer, arm rest/bin, etc). I figured they are going to junk it anyway so why not? I decided against it just in case because then I'd be left with no rebate and a stripped down clunker.
Ha! well prior to trading in my C4C 91 Caddy Coupe , I stripped off the spoke rims, upgraded grill and whatever else and dropped the parts off at some ebay consignment store and they sold it for me. Then the day of trade in...i loaded up the trunk w/ alot of garbage that the trashmen wouldn't take (2 old microwaves, an old betamax, old computers and misc junk). Luckily all the dealer was concerned with was writing the mileage down for the title transfer!
I'm still happy with the deal i got with this whole C4C thing. The Fit is awesome!

Old 08-08-2009, 08:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
It still amazes me that the government originally thought 12 deals per dealership on average would last over 3 months.
It wasn't just the government; this was the prevailing wisdom as recently as 2 months ago. Here's a quote from a piece by Aaron Turpan, dated June 17, that was typical of the predictive capabilities of many political columnists this spring and summer (italics mine):

Overall, no one who was not in the market to purchase a car inside the next 12 months seemed to be enticed into doing so because of the bill. At least not in any numbers of note.
The title of Turpan's article? The Pending Cash for Clunkers Program: Failure From the Get-Go?

Old 08-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by aidosin
I'm in the middle of the process. Good experience thus far. Some pangs of sadness to see my RR off after a troublesome 12 years and 140k.

Getting more excited about my choice in a 09 Fit Sport, especially having found this forum. First time posting too. I'm planning a roadtrip from Houston to San Francisco as soon as I get it. BTW, anyone driven a Fit across the country?
I drove from cleveland ohio to denver colorado then to mobile alabama and back to cleveland over Christmas of last year with my wife and 1 year old son, the fit did amazing! Great mileage, just added a lil more air in the tires and for the most part 30-32 mpg with the heater on blast and doing 75-80 when it wasnt snowing....

Quick Reply: Clunker for FIT buying experiences