General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Another KARR alarm nightmare..

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Another KARR alarm nightmare..

Recently, I just purchased a FIT and have been very pleased with it. The design, the cargo room, everything! Even got a great price for it, until the finance gentleman made it seem like there was no theft deterrent system already installed in the vehicle.

Everything from this car purchase was pleasurable, but I felt like I was swindled by that gentleman who offered the karr alarm. The FIT purchased is a sport model and so the immobilizer theft deterrent is already a standard feature.

It wasn't until after I had gotten home that I realized the FIT already came with this feature. From what was described, the karr alarm purchased not only added motion and shock sensors, but also disabled the starter. Don't forget the all important "blinking green light" crap. However, the starter disable gadget was the main thing I was after. After reading the manual (which was not available to me at the time of purchase and would've made me aware of the standard theft deterrent system.. I actually had to come back for the manual the following day!), certain keys with a certain code are required to start the engine. So yeah, a duplicate sale!

When I went back for the manual, they were unwilling to uninstall the system because the code had already been established on my key, rendering the whole karr alarm in my vehicle worthless. In fact, according to the dealership, they wanted to charge me $250 just to uninstall the alarm itself! This infuriated me, but they were not willing to uninstall the alarm system. After pleading my case, they said nothing could be done for me and that I'd have to leave it in, or pay them $250 to take it out. Now, I didn't get into the details of it, but I'm hoping this is not on top of the ludicrous amount they charged for the activation of the system itself. I probably should have, but at this point I was boiling.

I really don't know what else I can do. I am very unsatisfied with this experience. For those reading, I hope this does not happen to you. I paid a whole lot to get nothing, in my opinion. With or without this karr alarm, they're still able to get into my car and grab whatever may be inside. I paid for a duplicate item. With the factory installed immobilizer theft deterrent system, I feel this karr alarm is both unnecessary and useless.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
when i bought my fit, it had a KARR installed on it. i refused to purchase it, so they just removed the black box thingie lol

Old 07-24-2009, 10:36 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I had the KARR system on my car too, but mine is a base model, so the remote lock/unlock is very handy. However, I think the factory installed Honda alarm would have been preferable, and less expensive. I did mention it to the dealer at the time. I did mention it to Honda on one of their surveys or owner feedback. I did find complaints about the KARR alarm being a totally bogus charge on other sites.

And there is no manual or instructions that come with that system. Nothing. It's B.S. It's something to add on their profit. If they're going to add on stuff, make it HONDA stuff.

Same kind of thing happened to other people, like here:
Rip-off Report: Front Range Honda/ Karr Security Front Range Honda/ Karr Security FAKE ALRM install! It was only ALARM accessories. Colorado Springs Colorado

If it's EXTRA stuff that is above and beyond the factory items, that's a bit different. Then you're paying for EXTRA stuff. But they need to go over what is standard and what is extra.

If they put on some other brand of wheels, and charge you, you're paying for the other wheels. But it comes standard with wheels, from Honda. LOL! Are you being ripped off? Or not? Depends on how you view the value of whatever wheels were put on, right?

I'm kind of disgusted at the practice of adding on extra things that people may not want. On the other hand, I can understand why a new car dealership might want certain protections for their cars while parked in a lot.

Because I'm not buying any car from any lot that is missing it's doors or wheels or engine parts due to theft.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by dark_fit
The FIT purchased is a sport model and so the immobilizer theft deterrent is already a standard feature.

It wasn't until after I had gotten home that I realized the FIT already came with this feature. From what was described, the karr alarm purchased not only added motion and shock sensors, but also disabled the starter. Don't forget the all important "blinking green light" crap. However, the starter disable gadget was the main thing I was after. After reading the manual (which was not available to me at the time of purchase and would've made me aware of the standard theft deterrent system.. I actually had to come back for the manual the following day!), certain keys with a certain code are required to start the engine. So yeah, a duplicate sale!

With or without this karr alarm, they're still able to get into my car and grab whatever may be inside. I paid for a duplicate item. With the factory installed immobilizer theft deterrent system, I feel this karr alarm is both unnecessary and useless.
What are you talking about? The factory alarm do not have motion and shock sensors. If I have known about the Karr and that the stock Factory Alarm sucked, I would have gone and purchase the Karr but since I did not know I did not ask the salesman and they didn't offer it to me.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:09 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black01
What are you talking about? The factory alarm do not have motion and shock sensors. If I have known about the Karr and that the stock Factory Alarm sucked, I would have gone and purchase the Karr but since I did not know I did not ask the salesman and they didn't offer it to me.
It depends on what version you have. All KARR alarms are not set up with shock and motion sensors. Mine isn't.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
from what I understand most dealers install the KARR alarm as soon as the car arrives at the dealer... and then they take it out if you choose not purchase it... yes its counter productive but more times than not the dealer makes the sale...

Old 07-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Right, the karr alarm adds those, but I was after the ignition disabler the finance person mentioned.
From what was described, the karr alarm purchased not only added motion and shock sensors, but also disabled the starter.
The factory anti theft system already came with the immobilizer system where only your keys would be able to start the engine.

2009 Honda Fit Specifications and Features
ENGINEERING Fit Fit Sport Engine Type In-Line 4-Cylinder In-Line 4-Cylinder Engine Block/Cylinder Head Aluminum-Alloy Aluminum-Alloy Displacement (L/cc) 1.5 / 1497 1.5 / 1497 Horsepower @ rpm (SAE net) 117 @ 6600 117 @ 6600 Torque (lb-ft @ rpm) 106 @ 4800 106 @ 4800 Redline (rpm) 6800 6800 Bore and Stroke (mm) 73 x 89.4 73 x 89.4 Compression Ratio 10.4 : 1 10.4 : 1 Valve Train 16-Valve SOHC i-VTEC® 16-Valve SOHC i-VTEC® Multi-Point Fuel Injection • • Drive-by-Wire™ Throttle System • • Front-Wheel Drive • • CARB Emissions Rating ULEV-2 ULEV-2 Direct Ignition System with Immobilizer • • 100K +/- Miles No Scheduled Tune-Ups* • • * Does not apply to fluid and filter changes. May vary with driving conditions. See your owner's manual for more details.
Taken from: 2009 Honda Fit - Specifications - Official Honda Web site

Old 08-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Been following along here, sorry if I sound like a little confused, except that I am? I bought mine last week, no add on alarm system. Is the stock system an actual security system that triggers an alarm if glass is broken or a door opened? Or is it just the immobilizer and a pretty red light blinking on the dash?

Old 08-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by nerual13
Been following along here, sorry if I sound like a little confused, except that I am? I bought mine last week, no add on alarm system. Is the stock system an actual security system that triggers an alarm if glass is broken or a door opened? Or is it just the immobilizer and a pretty red light blinking on the dash?
Read your private message.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Read your private message.
Message read and thanks!

Old 04-04-2010, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Firebat666
from what I understand most dealers install the KARR alarm as soon as the car arrives at the dealer... and then they take it out if you choose not purchase it... yes its counter productive but more times than not the dealer makes the sale...
The dealer I purchased mine from does the same thing. Karr imobilizers are installed on every car and as far as I can tell they just remove a simple part to disable it. On my Fit, there is still a visible part of the karr system on the plastic panel by my left knee, and they simply put a piece of plastic over where something had plugged in. The thing I don't like is that there is now aftermarket wiring under the dash and if one of the connections fail you could get stranded and honda may not warranty it.

On my previous accord purchase, I removed the entire karr wiring (relays,etc) and it was fairly complicated. I also had to put in a patch cord to repair a heavy gauge ignition wire (Karr cuts it and re-routes it) under there. I'll eventually do the same on my Fit for my peace of mind.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
ignore all dealer offered security system and go get one from a private shop. get a Viper or something

Old 04-04-2010, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
I peaked under my dash today and looked to see how involved it would be to bypass the karr system, and it looks like I just have to re-jumper the pink wire going to the ign switch (they clean cut it and divert it). The rest appear to be simply wire taps. It's a mess under there.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting insights. My car (dealer) also preinstalled the KARR aftermarket alarm. I told them I didn't want it (I think they wanted to charge me $700). They actually caved pretty quickly and said they would "remove it". They removed nothing physical, they just disabled it some how. I also still have the device visible on the lower dash by my left leg.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
Thankfully this did not come up in my area. None of the cars I ever inquired about came with it installed and no dealer even tried to sell it to me. I wonder if it's a state-by-state thing?