General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

First Week Review Of My New Fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 12:00 AM
First Week Review Of My New Fit

Thought I might share some observations with those yet undecided on this car. I have an auto trans, air, in Storm Silver. After a week, I'm starting to get used to this after a manual VW diesel with loads of miles ! I'm 6'2" and 56, with a rotten back. The seat back is OK, but the seat is too short for me and not tilted up enough in the front. I find the weight of my leg rests on my heel. Not a big deal, but it would be if I took long trips. Visibility is good, but you sure have to watch there isn't a car lurking behind those thick front pillars (as I found out ). The auto transmission is remarkable...smooth, without surging and doesn't hunt on a hill if you drive smoothly. I actually have to pay attention to even notice it shift. Very impressive ! The suspension is quite firm and the car jumps a wee bit on bumps, but only on a par with my VW. Steering feels very good but strong crosswinds do move the vehicle quite a bit, due, no doubt, to it's tall sides. Fit and finish are without a flaw. The paint is perfect. It's the best finished car I've ever owned. The back seats fold flat to make a smooth cargo floor, but my 2 big dawgs are not happy that the rear windows don't go right down. I wish you could lower the windows without the key in as I'd like to cool it before the dudes get in. The stereo is OK, but not spectacular. A spare key is $56 in Canada, due to the theft deterent thingy in it. It's impossible to see the hood at all, even at my height, so I bet they'll have a few whacking curbs ( maybe me ?). I'm disappointed there seems no way for a hitch bike rack and wonder if there will even be a roof rack ? The standard wheels look too small on the car and have covers that reveal the ugly black rims beneath. But I'm too cheap and practical to spend $ on more wheels when I've got 4 ! The rear roof spoiler looks good, but is about $500 here and not worth it to me, although the back does suck up a lot of dust. The glove compartment door is heavy, and swings low enough to whack a passenger ( ask my wife's bad knee). First tankful averaged 42MP(Imperial)G in mixed driving. It's a peppy car and will surprise you when you first goose the throttle. My wife had the same experience of snapping her neck back...could be years of driving a 52HP diesel ?
My conclusion : a fine little car with lots of safety features, lots of space and a high level of comfort and refinement. The fact few are available lets dealers charge MSRP, which doesn't please me. Too few colour choices, so we got the neutral grayish silver, which looks quite smart. A great auto trans (why shift ?), good fuel economy, which is close to my old diesel's and this reputation Honda has. Now I have 3 Honda's...a car, mower and motorcycle. If they only made diesels !

Steve

Old 04-29-2006, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
About those blind spots, do this:
http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Rearview-...te-Blind-Spots

I took a defensive driving class in college (most awesome college course ever), and one of the first things the instructor taught us was this. It helps soooo much.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:40 AM
Nice link, I'm going to give it a try.

But, I think he meant the thick front pillars hide what's ahead of you in the 2:00 (on driver's right) and 11:00 (on driver's left) position where obviously the side mirrors do not do any good.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:59 AM
Modifying the mirror positions may feel strange at first, but the technique really does help to minimize the blind spots!

Old 04-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Yes...I meant the front pillars. I was waiting to make a left turn onto a highway, checked 3 X ( never had a ticket or accident in 40 years ) and started to pull out when I realized there was a car approaching from the right that managed to be completely concealed in my first checks. Not a big deal, but I think you'll see what I mean when you drive a Fit. I assume the thick columns probably are part of the safety cage and safety ( 6 airbags and ABS standard ) was the prime reason we started to consider a Fit and sell our reliable, but bagless older car.
Steve

Old 04-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Avid FitFreak Poster
I haven't really noticed much problems with blind spots... I do though have my mirrors set up for me to view out very wide...

Old 04-29-2006, 12:01 PM
I've noticed the front pillar thing, too. It doesn't really matter much for street driving, but it does make me a touch wary when I'm driving through my apartment complex. We have a lot of people constantly walking to and fro, and the lot is quite curved and winding. I've found myself looking left and right quite a bit to make sure I avoid having someone pop out of nowhere on me. I suppose that's the sacrifice you make for those airbags.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Scub
Yes...I meant the front pillars.
The front blind spots are twice as bad on the new Civic. I had to really strain to see around the driver side pillar. Maybe because I drove the Civic first, I don't consider the pillars to be that bad on the Fit.

Have you tried pushing the seat back a little further? It may help your view, and take some weight off your heel.

Old 04-29-2006, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
The pillars are prob. a result of the NA frontal crash modification.
There is a link to send your input back to Honda on the CA site.

I sent one about the daytime visibility of the rear turn signals, 21 Watts and no prism like the front. Also the hazard lights are not visible from the side.

I have some LED lights I am going to try and attach to the mirrors.

The lumbar support threw my back out for the first time in 14 years.

Last edited by willmax11; 04-29-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:44 PM
First accessory I bought/by, on all my rides: 2-2" convex Blind spot mirrors. It adds surgical precision to morning rush hour. Point and shoot for that gap with malice! I barely have to turn my head and no one goes unnoticed.
Cool link Sheepnutz

Old 04-29-2006, 04:18 PM
Would You Consider a VW Golf/Rabbit?

I'm starting to get used to this after a manual VW diesel with loads of miles.
Thanks for the review. I'm also considering a Fit or a VW Golf/Rabbit - currently still in love w/ my '96 Golf GL/Auto, though. How does the overall "driving experience" compare with your VW?

Old 04-29-2006, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
Yes...I meant the front pillars. I was waiting to make a left turn onto a highway, checked 3 X ( never had a ticket or accident in 40 years ) and started to pull out when I realized there was a car approaching from the right that managed to be completely concealed in my first checks. Not a big deal, but I think you'll see what I mean when you drive a Fit. I assume the thick columns probably are part of the safety cage and safety ( 6 airbags and ABS standard ) was the prime reason we started to consider a Fit and sell our reliable, but bagless older car.Steve
I have the same problem with my '05 Dodge Dakota. I probably look weird to people when I'm making a left into traffic, as I constantly have to goose-neck between looking through the far-right edge of the windshield and the passenger front window, trying to get a view of anything that may be coming up around the huge A-pillar and mirror combo.

Old 04-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by jpmccormac
Thanks for the review. I'm also considering a Fit or a VW Golf/Rabbit - currently still in love w/ my '96 Golf GL/Auto, though. How does the overall "driving experience" compare with your VW?
Hi. My 92 Golf manual with 439,000 kms just arrived in it's new home in central Canada after a 5000 km drive from the West Coast ( I gave it to my brother in law). He says it ran like a charm and still doesn't burn a drop of oil. I like the Fit, but must admit to serious Post Partum to the diesel. As I've had major back problems, I miss the VW seat, which was perfect for me . The Fit is not as comfortable, due to the lower seat and lack of padding in the seat cushion front. But the Fit is whisper quiet, has a fantastic auto trans that is SO smooth and is comforting with the airbaags and ABS that the VW lacked. To go to a diesel from a Fit would be like mounting a farm tractor, but the other way is easier. I think the ultimate test will be fuel mileage. So far it looks pretty close. The Fit is certainly a joy to drive and feels very refined and solid. The ride is firm, as was the VW's. I was impressed the second I took off in a Fit for a test drive. My prime reasons for buying were the safety features, the interior room for our two big dogs, fuel mileage ( I hope) and the legendary Honda reliability. I considered a new, or newer VW diesel, but the TDI engine is now more complex and less easy for the home mechanic to repair and has a timing belt that costs $770 Cdn to replace. But the older ones are rock solid and you have to think hard before spending $20,000 + on a Fit.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:29 AM
Hearing that crosswinds toss the Fit around gives me pause. I live in the Oklahoma City metro, the Weather Channel just ranked Oklahoma City the 2nd most windy city in the USA. :-(
The combo of high profile and light weight may not due well here. My PT Cruiser is a bit taller but weighs 800 pounds more than a Fit.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
I also have the Storm Silver Sport AT (and a Honda lawn mower). Just sold my 11 year old Honda Accord wagon. The pillars do create a blind spot, but my wagon had a bigger one -- always had to turn my head, even after using the mirror reset trick, to make sure no one was clinging to the rear fender. The Fit is quick on the highway, and quiet. I'm told that the road noise is from alloy wheels. I polished it up this weekend and it glows. The only thing I don't like about appearance is that everything shows up on the dark upholstery -- especially pet hair. I was disappointed at how far up the front seats have to go to accommodate folding the back seats down with headrests intact. I'd like a slightly larger gas tank so I don't have to stop for fillups so often. Bottom line -- it's a joy to drive, good on gas, and I'm getting a lot of car for the money. I expect to keep it at least 10 years.