General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Warranty????

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
Warranty????

Just got my MT Sport Silver Fit!!

I was offered an extended warranty at $1500. I declined, but my sales guy said i could change my mind in 3 days and still get it. Its 6 yrs/100k. Roadside assistance. If you dont ever use it, you get $750 back at the end of the warranty period. I told him i wasnt interested and mentioned that hondawarrantyinfo.com is much cheaper. He told me i would "likely" run into prblems with it because it is out of state. Any thoughts?

Old 04-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
From past experiences with Hondas/Acuras, I won't bother getting an extended warranty.

The only items I've hand to replace on ours before 160,000 kms were tires, brakes, muffler, battery, and axles on my GS-R.

Old 04-29-2006, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
While I was hesitant at first about the extended warranty, since I've owned many a Honda with no problems, after I thought about it being a first year model w/CA emissions and whatnot (and having a hell of a time w/my CRV PWs) I partially agreed on the condition they throw in the alarm and mats for $1400, 7yrs./100k/$0 deductible. I say partially because I could still opt out w/in 3 days of my credit union paying.

Then I did an ebay search for other accessories and saw
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1

I confirmed that it was legit, doesn't matter that it's out of state. Honda Care is for Hondas in the US, anywhere US. So I called my finance person and told her to forget our old contract and just do the sale, unless she was willing to meet the online price. Reluctantly she did. I'm not complaining.

Honestly though, I went in w/every intention of refusing the extended warranty but it's not so bad for extra security just in case. If that cash back at end of warranty is right though, why not? I'm picking up the amended contract tomorrow, so I'll ask then. Wouldn't be a bad deal it it's true. Will let you know, maybe it was just a line to get you to sign considering the price I found was half of what the finance gal started at.

BTW I couldn't log into hondawarrantyinfo.com. Is that the right address?

Last edited by hatchgeek; 04-29-2006 at 03:50 AM.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:58 AM
Avid FitFreak Poster
I have already modified the Fit... So I declined it... We modded it during the PDI LOL

Old 04-29-2006, 12:17 PM
I went with a 6 year warranty; it didn't cost me much more than what they offer online. My reasoning was that it was a first year model with some modifications from the models they sell elsewhere.

I'm also a little leery of purchasing such a thing from an online retailer; does the warranty still hold up if the online dealer goes under?

Old 04-29-2006, 05:04 PM
First year model? Are you kidding me? The Fit/Jazz is a mature vehicle, not a 1st year model!!! I wouldn't have worried about it!

Old 04-29-2006, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Hondyboy
First year model? Are you kidding me? The Fit/Jazz is a mature vehicle, not a 1st year model!!! I wouldn't have worried about it!

For sure!!! What year is the Fit in now? 5? It's a Honda Fit, not a Chevy Cobalt!!! lol gg denied. (spell?)

Old 04-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Isn't 07 Honda limited warranties are 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5/60 for powertrain?

Old 04-29-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by GoFit
Isn't 07 Honda limited warranties are 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5/60 for powertrain?

Yuppers. Damn, need 10 charcters to post.

Old 04-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Originally Posted by Dañiel
Yuppers. Damn, need 10 charcters to post.
HAHAHAHAHA

Old 04-29-2006, 08:07 PM
If one is purchasing a vehicle for which they feel the need for an extended warranty one might perhaps consider why they are purchasing the vehicle in question in the first place.

"He who fights with monsters should take care that he himself does not become a monster, aye and if we stare long enough into the abyss, the abyss stares back" - Nietzsche

Old 04-30-2006, 03:29 AM
5 Year Member
Ya know, I've owned 4 Hondas and was not compelled to purchased the extended warranty whatsoever but then I thought about it...o.k. it's not technically a first year model, but 1. NA has so many different regulations from the rest of the world that there has been a lot of work done to the established model. 2. I had a hell of a time w/the electrical system on my CRV. PW kept dropping, bulb on the dash burnt out, etc. Those things added up. W/the 7yr/100k coverage at least all the kinks will get worked out and I got an incredibly inexpensive deal. Just about half the tax. I know others have paid more for just the price of the car so it's o.k. with me. If I never use it then oh well. I'll never really notice since it's now part of the financing only adding about $13.50 a month. So that's like a movie ticket and popcorn, big deal for extended coverage on my car.

So basically, you guys can laugh and think those of us who went for the extended warranty are dumb, but I'm o.k with it. There are worse things I can throw my money away on.

Old 04-30-2006, 12:10 PM
As hatchgeek stated, this is the first year North American model. It has several differences from the European and Asian models.

In five years of owning a Mazda, which I also consider a reliable brand, I had the A/C compressor go out on it, which threw shrapnel into the car and destroyed several belts in the process. It was a very expensive repair. It would have paid for the warranty itself.

My parents owned an Accord that had continual problems with the brakes.

I am having second thoughts about the extended warranty purchase. I will reevaluate, since I believe that portion of the purchase can be refunded within 30 days?

Old 04-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Cents x 2

Originally Posted by ex_MGB
If one is purchasing a vehicle for which they feel the need for an extended warranty one might perhaps consider why they are purchasing the vehicle in question in the first place.

"He who fights with monsters should take care that he himself does not become a monster, aye and if we stare long enough into the abyss, the abyss stares back" - Nietzsche
I agree with ex_MGB. Years ago, Consumer Reports stated that if you think you need an extended warranty, don't buy the item. Find a more reliable brand. Can't get much better than Honda. I've had three Civics, and only one needed anything more than regular maintenance, when the starter died. But that was after it was ten-years old!

Old 04-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by verily

I am having second thoughts about the extended warranty purchase. I will reevaluate, since I believe that portion of the purchase can be refunded within 30 days?
provided you don't modify your fit and negate the honda factory warranty, you can buy an extended service plan right up until you get the 3yr/36K mark. maybe give your fit a bit of time and decide when you get closer to the end of the initial comprehensive coverage? you know...if you have a bunch of trouble with it then down the road take extra steps to protect your wallet. and if your fit's running like a champ in 2 years...maybe save the cash. good luck!