General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Cash for Clunkers means Possible New Fit Owner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
I've been looking for an answer to this question but haven't been able to find it on any of the government websites. The clunker I have is under my father's name and this insurance is also under his name. Does he have to come in with me at the time of sale for them to accept the car?

Old 07-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AintNoStoppinMeNow
I've been looking for an answer to this question but haven't been able to find it on any of the government websites. The clunker I have is under my father's name and this insurance is also under his name. Does he have to come in with me at the time of sale for them to accept the car?
uh, this means he owns the car and is the only one who can trade it in on the new car, which would also be in his name.

You can't trade anything in you don't own. LOL! You can't trade in a car under his name anymore than you can trade in a car under my name.

If you switch legal ownership now, then the car doesn't qualify as being YOURS for at least a year. And you would not be able to show proof of insurance for a year. He is the one who qualifies for the deal, not you.

The entire deal will be done by him. Not you. You might be able to get you name added as a co-owner or something on the new car. That is something you'd have to take up with the dealership and your father.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member

Question came up here too. Our company lawyer, who is also counting on using the bill gave this 'opinion':

Under the way it reads your father will have to do the trade/purchase and sell it on to you later., The way he read it both titles have to read the same names, etc. REF pg 18 line 23, sec 8A.
Surely that is not forever as the bill implies so I think you'll have an 'out'.
Either a time will be established, I suspect a year, or limited reassignment to immediate family only.
In any case, just because he owned it doesn't mean you couldn't drive it and have the car left to you in his will, just in case.

Hey, good luck.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
Just great!!!

I was hoping since it's immediate family it wouldn't be a problem but I guess not.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Just great!!!

I was hoping since it's immediate family it wouldn't be a problem but I guess not.

Don't give up hope too soon. we believe that issue will be corrected. Almost has too as most of the clunkers are owned by old clunkers like me and we would only trade to help a younger member of the immediate family. And thats the way it should be. cheer up.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah good point, it's just the whole idea of buying a new car for the very first time and yet I still need my father's signature/approval! Kind of kills the moment a bit lol. It's one thing when I first bought my clunker and he suggested doing everything in his name since I was so young at the time but I was really looking forward to buying a new car by myself and having the car in my name. Oh well, cant complain.

I test drove the Fit and the Yaris again yesterday one last time and the once close competition is not even a contest anymore, I'm going with the Fit. Now it's just down to visiting about 10 or so Honda dealers and getting the best price I can.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:37 PM
Sai
Originally Posted by mahout
You should have an actual ibnsurance policy with the VIN number in it showing coverage dates. I have no idea what a letter would be worth. but it doesn't sound good.
Oh, alright. Thanks!

Old 07-18-2009, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah good point, it's just the whole idea of buying a new car for the very first time and yet I still need my father's signature/approval! Kind of kills the moment a bit lol. It's one thing when I first bought my clunker and he suggested doing everything in his name since I was so young at the time but I was really looking forward to buying a new car by myself and having the car in my name. Oh well, cant complain.
It's on the site in the FAQ, which seems pretty clear to me:

------
You should bring documentation establishing the identity of the person who currently owns the vehicle, preferably the title of the vehicle, and documentary proof that the vehicle “has been continuously insured consistent with the applicable State law and registered to the same owner for a period of not less than 1 year immediately prior to the trade-in.” The final rule will specify what types of documentation would be acceptable.
------

It seems pretty much common sense in that it would be fraudulent to have one person trading in their old clunker so another person could get a new car.

It also mentions that for LEASING, there is a minimum of five years. I don't know what would happen if someone wanted to get out of their lease early, like if they would have to pay back the CARS allowance for breaking that deal too.

In the download (which I finally did, LOL), it mentions a couple of things.

One is the definition of Ultimate Purchaser:
(13) the term `ultimate purchaser' means, with respect to any
new automobile, the first person who in good faith purchases
such automobile for purposes other than resale;
(although I don't know where it's used)

And, this is how much that is going to make the program work...
(j) Appropriation- There is hereby appropriated to the Secretary of
Transportation $1,000,000,000, of which up to $50,000,000 is
available for administration, to remain available until expended to
carry out this section.

Fifty million for administration. Sheesh.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
So I've gotten two good offers so far of about $18,200-18,500 OTD for a Honda Fit Sport Automatic. Keep in mind I still get to take $4500 off for my clunker. Is this a good deal as it stands? How much lower could I get these offers if I get them competing against each other? Seems like a good deal as it stands but of course we all want to pay as least as possible. I'm willing to go with one dealer over the other because of the Honda Excellence awards they have but I think I could talk the "lesser" dealer down more.

p.s. Would it be a good idea to tell them I'm considering a Chrysler/Jeep since they are offering double for my clunker in hopes of dropping the price?

Old 07-24-2009, 11:16 AM
So I've gotten two good offers so far of about $18,200-18,500 OTD for a Honda Fit Sport Automatic. Keep in mind I still get to take $4500 off for my clunker. Is this a good deal as it stands? How much lower could I get these offers if I get them competing against each other? Seems like a good deal as it stands but of course we all want to pay as least as possible. I'm willing to go with one dealer over the other because of the Honda Excellence awards they have but I think I could talk the "lesser" dealer down more.

p.s. Would it be a good idea to tell them I'm considering a Chrysler/Jeep since they are offering double for my clunker in hopes of dropping the price?
What is your definition of "out the door"? Including sales tax, plates, destination charges, etc? Here's what I'm planning on getting my Fit Sport auto (no NAV) for:

$16,479 2009 Honda Fit Sport automatic - incl. destination charges
$ 1,195 Sales tax
$ 151 Doc fee
$ 80 Plate transfer from van

Total Cost - $17,905

Minus $4,500 for van on C.A.R.S. program

Finance $13,405 for 60 months

Warner

PS - I'm getting $500 better than what the dealer is generally offering because of some "confusion" that I ran into there a month ago...will explain in great detail after I sign papers and know for sure what is what.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, my offers are out the door including everything. I think if either dealership is desperate enough I may be able to get a couple hundred knocked off. Congrats on the new car! I hope to join the club soon.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Yes, my offers are out the door including everything. I think if either dealership is desperate enough I may be able to get a couple hundred knocked off. Congrats on the new car! I hope to join the club soon.
Thanks...but if you're talking to me, I don't have it yet! Haha. I'm waiting for the program to get ironed out totally. Then we'll see if the dealer comes through for me like they promised. I'm not pessimistic, but let's just say I'll believe it after I sign the paperwork.

Warner

Old 07-24-2009, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
I just got back from the dealer. They are still going through the manuals/rules for the CARS program. They needed a deposit from me because i'm having a moonroof installed.
so this is what i paid/signed for today:

$18847 09 Fit sport/auto/nav in tidewater blue
$487 for center console armrest/body side moldings
$1000 moonroof (that slides into the roof not over)
$178.95 tag transfer/doc fees
$950.64 sales tax
-4500 cars voucher
-2000 down payment
financing $14973 @ 4.74%
not sure if that is the best rate out there but its not final yet. if anyone knows of better financing let me know.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by gs3boynyc
I just got back from the dealer. They are still going through the manuals/rules for the CARS program. They needed a deposit from me because i'm having a moonroof installed.
so this is what i paid/signed for today:

$18847 09 Fit sport/auto/nav in tidewater blue
$487 for center console armrest/body side moldings
$1000 moonroof (that slides into the roof not over)
$178.95 tag transfer/doc fees
$950.64 sales tax
-4500 cars voucher
-2000 down payment
financing $14973 @ 4.74%
not sure if that is the best rate out there but its not final yet. if anyone knows of better financing let me know.
4.74% is a real good rate. I got about the same (4.68%) and that's about the best there is to be had....

Warner

Old 07-25-2009, 12:27 AM
looks like i might not be getting a fit after all...didnt know they required two registration papers and a title....lost my title applied for a new one gonna take 2 to 4 weeks....now i gotta go back to the dmv to get a record of registration if they even have this kind of thing....ughh...

Old 07-25-2009, 12:41 AM
I just Got my new fit sport m/t in milano red for 14,300 otd and i love it but i traded my 1999 ford explorer sport for the cash for clunkers deal and got 4,500 for it. but i hate to see it go. i loved that truck and i would cry if i had to watch it get crushed. the fit is awsome though and i dont regret my decison.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GOskateFL
I just Got my new fit sport m/t in milano red for 14,300 otd and i love it but i traded my 1999 ford explorer sport for the cash for clunkers deal and got 4,500 for it. but i hate to see it go. i loved that truck and i would cry if i had to watch it get crushed. the fit is awsome though and i dont regret my decison.
Yay! You go, baby! You're going to love your new car and will rapidly forget about your former vehicle.

While other people are sitting on the fence, you got your deal!

Remember it's not the truck's fault it was not fuel-efficient. It was the fault of the manufacturer. If your truck had been at least remotely fuel efficient, it wouldn't have even qualified for the program!

So, think of Ford causing the crushing of your former vehicle. They COULD have made it more efficient, but they didn't. Ford, they are the ones that basically sucked the life out of your wallet/pocketbook for gas.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eykeykeyk
looks like i might not be getting a fit after all...didnt know they required two registration papers and a title....lost my title applied for a new one gonna take 2 to 4 weeks....now i gotta go back to the dmv to get a record of registration if they even have this kind of thing....ughh...
Not the fault of the program. If you were going to sell your vehicle to ME, you'd need the title.

If you're expecting someone to give you money for things you cannot prove are yours, boy oh boy, do I have some business opportunities for you.

Like the "Toll-booth franchise". You, yes, YOU can own your own toll booth on the bridge of your choice. Imagine setting your own hours. Imagine raking in at least $3 per minute. You, yes, YOU could be making 240 or more per hour.

Contact me immediately for further details, as well as sending $1,000 to my PayPal account.

P.S. We need a face-palm animated emoticon to go with my post. I don't even HAVE a PayPal account.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Not the fault of the program. If you were going to sell your vehicle to ME, you'd need the title.

If you're expecting someone to give you money for things you cannot prove are yours, boy oh boy, do I have some business opportunities for you.

Like the "Toll-booth franchise". You, yes, YOU can own your own toll booth on the bridge of your choice. Imagine setting your own hours. Imagine raking in at least $3 per minute. You, yes, YOU could be making 240 or more per hour.

Contact me immediately for further details, as well as sending $1,000 to my PayPal account.

P.S. We need a face-palm animated emoticon to go with my post. I don't even HAVE a PayPal account.
sarcasm you haz it!

Old 07-25-2009, 01:50 AM
Sai
Got my BBP A/T Fit today. My dad decided not to be an ass to me for once! (Although he was fighting with me to get the civic..in front of everyone. How embarrassing!) I was sad to see my jeep go, too. So many memories with it, but the moment I got my Fit...that jeep was the last thing in my mind.

Fit = Awesome.

Quick Reply: Cash for Clunkers means Possible New Fit Owner?