General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

How's the Fit on back pain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:43 PM
How's the Fit on back pain?

Greetings,

I have a very bad back and haven't yet test driven a Fit but will soon. Many years ago I bought a Toyota Paseo, drove it for about 2 weeks before I realized that it was killing my back. I ended up returning it to the dealer and settling for an ugly Tercel; my back cannot handle cars that ride very low, which is why I won't consider the Mazda 3. Anyone here have any stories to tell about the Fit and back pain? I wanted to get something that's fun to drive, but will not sacrifice comfort, and may just end up getting another Civic.

I'd appreciate hearing from other back pain sufferers!

---CJ

Old 07-09-2009, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
Back Pain

I have serious arthritis...not specific back pain. I have been driving our Fit for 1.5 yrs......and I would like to tell you not to worry.

However, I believe the Fit has limitations. It is certainly a truly fun car to drive (esp the Sport manual), and it is as reliable as anything, and it holds huge amounts of cargo.

The longest we have driven it is approx 2 hrs away. It is an awesome car for around town and short hauls, but I would not likely take it on a 10-hr trip, as it does lack some comfort. There are many on this forum who do, and enjoy their trips.

As a bonus, we track all of our mileage and gasoline purchases...and after 1.5 yrs we are getting 41.1 mpg. That is a huge bonus.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:29 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
in my opinion the fit's seats are lacking in proper support. i drive the gd3 fit ('07-'08) so i can't speak for the new generation fit. the fit is an economy car and i'm young so it's fine for me. but the seats are completely lacking in lumbar support so i can see that as being a major problem for some people. it's not for everybody so i think it'd be best for you to take it on a test drive, though you could only get a better feel for it if you drive it for a prolonged period.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
in my opinion the fit's seats are lacking in proper support. i drive the gd3 fit ('07-'08) so i can't speak for the new generation fit. the fit is an economy car and i'm young so it's fine for me. but the seats are completely lacking in lumbar support so i can see that as being a major problem for some people. it's not for everybody so i think it'd be best for you to take it on a test drive, though you could only get a better feel for it if you drive it for a prolonged period.
QFT.

Aside from the missing lumbar support, thigh and knee support is quite lacking too especially on the GDs. Basically the seat squab is a little on the short side. If a 5'8" fellow like me gets sore knees on a prolonged drive in varied conditions (alternating between crawling and cruising), I can imagine how much worse it might be for taller people.

It's been two months since I've swapped the stock GD seats for Recaro SRDs. Lower seat height aside, they've solved every single one of my complaints on the stock seats. Permanent lumbar support and a usefully longer seat squab cradle backs and knees sufficiently now.

There's one price though: Ingress and egress is a little tough because of the tall side bolsters.

Last edited by Type 100; 07-10-2009 at 03:44 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:38 AM
I find the GE fine. I got in a car accident a couple months ago and have been having some pretty bad back pain and the GE seats are nice and wide and supportive so I definately say go for it

Old 07-10-2009, 05:26 AM
I have an 08 Fit Sport 5MT...I am also permanently disabled with my L4&L5 vertibrae fused. I will admit, it took me a while to get the ideal seat position, but now that I have, I'm keeping my Fit forever.

I've tried large SUV's with a ton of cabin and leg room to tiny gas savers that have a tight squeeze. I feel your pain trust me...Even with no lumbar adjustment in the seats, you can be comfortable in a Fit.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:51 AM
I'm 6'3" with a bad back and find the seats in my '09 are pretty good, at least for me. In fact, one of the main reasons I chose the Fit was the the overall comfort level for someone my size/back issue. I recently did a 500 mile trip and was pleasantly suprised at how good my back felt. The Fit seats work good for me. Good luck, Back pain sucks...

Old 07-10-2009, 08:05 AM
5 Year Member
I have an 07 and I take 800 mile trips with no real problems except now & then you gotta get out the car & stretch but that's normal when your driving 13 hours. The 09 should be even more comfortable.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Thanks for all the responses! Wow, I've got some thinking to do. I'm 50, and since I know how little it takes to throw out my back, the few negative responses here make me less likely to consider the Fit. I'd definitely need to rent one to drive for a few days, but doubt that I'll find a rental company that would have Fits. Unfortunately, my back really prevents me from considering many sportier models, and I normally have to end up buying sedans. I LOVED my old '81 Corolla hatchback, but they don't make those anymore. I like the styling of the Mazda 3 hatchback but have read some comments online from others with back pain; I have a friend who has one, maybe I'll drive it around some....

Thanks, again...

Old 07-10-2009, 01:30 PM
the 09 is completely redesigned from the gd that the one guy found a bit uncomfortable. My recomendation would be go to a dealership and just straight out ask if you can try it for a day. just say you have back pain and say you want to see how it is and hopefully they'll let you

Old 07-10-2009, 01:35 PM
I need to swap my stock seats out. Drove from Florida to NJ in 13 hours and I kinda drive off to the side of the seat where my lower back can rest on the side. Hard to explain, but it is getting annoying, but a racing seat will solve your problems.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
I'm 5'8" witha herniated disc. I drive a minimum of two hours a day in my Fit. Seats feel fine to me. The only issue I have is they are fairly grippy (which is generally a good thing). But if I get in and don't situate myself properly, I will find myself realizing I've sat in an awkward position that has caused a bit of pain. But as soon as I adjust, I'm fine.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
its alright but ehh when its hot

Old 07-14-2009, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
I don't have any back problems but my wife and I did 3 separate 3,000 mile trips in her car (I did all of the driving) and felt the car was adequately supportive/comfortable. One thing I can say for sure is that getting into/out of the Fit is much easier than with a Civic. I actually get spoiled driving her car because it makes getting into my car seem like a chore!

Old 07-14-2009, 12:57 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
It's taken some time to get the seats fairly comfortable. It's the bloody headrest that is the most annoying aspect. And I feel in the 09 there is TOO MUCH going on in the lower back area.

They either used a contortionist or a rag-doll for seating tests. But if you try moving the seat forward and backward and a little more or less upright, you may find a pretty nice spot for your own back pain to be less painful.

I'm looking into getting some kind of cushion to go above the lumbar support and up to just below the head rest to make it more straight/flat. That is what would be easier on MY back.

Each person's back pain is different. So what feels great to one person is absolute misery to the next.

On the good side, the seats are situated fairly high, so that it is so much easier to get in and out of the vehicle. The seat fabric isn't so great, but there are seat covers that are made of vinyl or vinyl/leather that will help with the "swiveling" into the seat properly. The material in the cars is not very slippery or smooth. It's like a lint brush.

I do love the car. I'm real glad I have it. I just have a few small nits to pick with the seats because of the lint and the back pain.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member
my advice, get lumbar support pillow of some sort....

The car lacks the support... my back is used to it now, but I don'thave back probs, and I sometimes have an achy back after driving for a while, something i don't feel in an ACura TL or MDX

Old 07-14-2009, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
my advice, get lumbar support pillow of some sort....

The car lacks the support... my back is used to it now, but I don'thave back probs, and I sometimes have an achy back after driving for a while, something i don't feel in an ACura TL or MDX
Additional lumbar support? In the 09? It's already sticking out like the seat is 8 months pregnant! 2009 interior
2009 Honda Fit - Photos Interior - Official Honda Web site

2008 interior:
2008 Honda Fit Front Seats Photo - Motor Trend Magazine

Do you have 09 or 08?

If you do have 09, do you really use additional lumbar support? I guess my back pain is very different. I don't want any pressure on it at all. I want that area hollowed out.

And if I can't have that, I want heat and massage. LOL!

Old 07-14-2009, 04:23 AM
5 Year Member
My wife has chronic back pain and two recent hip replacements so... she finds the seats ok but it is the jarring ride that she cannot handle. So the FIT will be mine pretty much.

We have a Dodge Caravan with running boards so it is easy to get in and out of. I do find the FIT pretty good that way as well. I am old geezer. I do notice the lack of thigh support on right leg combined with the light touch GO pedal tiring.

A tip for sliding in and out on bad days. Place plastic garbage bag on the seat. Your bum will move easily. Got this from hospital staff after wife's hip surgery.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:36 AM
If you have back problems I would suggest to get the Civic.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
My wife has chronic back pain and two recent hip replacements so... she finds the seats ok but it is the jarring ride that she cannot handle. So the FIT will be mine pretty much.

We have a Dodge Caravan with running boards so it is easy to get in and out of. I do find the FIT pretty good that way as well. I am old geezer. I do notice the lack of thigh support on right leg combined with the light touch GO pedal tiring.

A tip for sliding in and out on bad days. Place plastic garbage bag on the seat. Your bum will move easily. Got this from hospital staff after wife's hip surgery.
Thanks for the tip.

Some people have said that the base model has a softer ride. I have the U.S. base model. It seems ok as far as ride. Except for corners. The excessive body roll. And I don't mean the car's body roll. I mean MY body roll...

The way the back of the seat pushes into my spine, and the way my body rolls across that ridge when cornering, leads to some really loud popping noises coming from my back.

It's like a built-in chiropractor. But I don't really want that to occur.