General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Hybrid at the end of the year?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 03:24 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Hybrid at the end of the year?

So says this article:
2010 Honda Fit Hybrid - Honda Hybrids, 2010 Fit - NewsOXY

The hybrid version of the Honda Fit will jump about 9 horsepower and torque will increase as much as 21 lbs-ft. The car will come standard with larger 15 inch wheels while the Sport model will offer 16 inch alloys. There are rumors that a facelift version could include a new front fascia and bumpers, new rear bumper, new side skirts, side mirror mounted indicators/turn signals, rear LED brake light, rear LED third brake lights, body colored housing headlamps and minor interior changes.

2010 Honda Fit Mileage
The Fit Hybrid is going to provide far better mileage than all other hybrids. The car will be a great buy for the low cost and fuel economy driving. This would make the car the most affordable car with advanced hybrid technologies for the first time.

------

Rumors, rumors? Or for real?

This report also says this fall:
REPORT: Honda Fit Hybrid coming in fall 2010

Would you trade in your current model?

Old 07-05-2009, 07:43 AM
I'll just believe it when I see one on the road or on the dealers lot.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:55 PM
its supposed to be coming yeah. 2010 fit hybrid.

They say that the mpg is better than the honda insight, for cheaper. LOL

Old 07-05-2009, 07:02 PM
HID Addict
ewwwwwwww hybrid =[ the fit has crossed over to the other side... the pussi side -.- BLEH althought the facelift does sound nice. but hybrid? come on, does that have to happen?

Old 07-05-2009, 10:16 PM
they aren't all hybrid. Its an option.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rubba Burna
ewwwwwwww hybrid =[ the fit has crossed over to the other side... the pussi side -.- BLEH althought the facelift does sound nice. but hybrid? come on, does that have to happen?
That's what I wanted, was a hybrid. But I couldn't justify the price of a Prius and felt the Prius was too big. Then the Insight, which is almost a duplicate of the Prius, for a lower price, with lower mpg than the Prius. Still not what I wanted.

Honda HAS to make a small 4-seater that is a hybrid. No doubt. The upcoming iQ from Toyota/Scion will be a serious contender against both the FIT and the Smart...in that it seats 3 1/2 (LOL) and gets supposedly around 50 mpg.

That was a car I couldn't wait for any more than I could wait around for the Hybrid Fit. I needed a car, right then and there back in December.
------

Reports suggest the iQ may be the first model in a series,[13] and that Toyota may export the iQ to the North American market as a Scion.[14] Reports from Toyota engineers suggest the iQ platform will serve as the basis of the next generation Toyota Yaris as well as a possible subcompact hybrid car, to challenge the CY 2009 Honda Insight[15] Competitors include the Fiat 500, Subaru R1 and Smart Fortwo.

Toyota iQ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-------

If they plan on making that little car into a hybrid, and Smart already has a hybrid in Europe (stop/start system), Honda is BEHIND. Way behind.

Honda will not only have to come up with a competitor to the iQ, but add in some other goodies to really draw people...the green market that is.

My opinion is that EVERYTHING should have a hybrid option. Honda blew it with the first Insight. They stopped making it. That was blowing it. They made a new Insight, a behemoth, the only thing it has in common with the first Insight is the name and it being a hybrid. The new Insight certainly gets nowhere close to 70 mpg.

Honda does not have a city car. They need to have that in the line up, and it needs to be a hybrid. It NEEDS to get mind boggling mpg. I'd prefer it to have a higher seating position than the old Insight, as that was much like the CRX and it was too hard to get in and out of. Too low. Long doors with a hinge around the knees mean tight angles at the front of the door, leading to problem in tight parking spaces.

Volkswagon is already working on city cars too:
Volkswagen up! - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Technology like this needs to be out there now, including using it for a hybrid (the roof panel) as not all people have access to plug in a car:
Volkswagen Introduces space up! blue at Los Angeles

Old 07-06-2009, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
Insight took a nose dive, isn't making the grade via Consumer Reports:
Consumer Reports knocks Honda's new hybrid - Jun. 29, 2009

I'll post it as a new topic too

Old 07-06-2009, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rubba Burna

hondas have always been big on hyrids. why are they a bad thing?

Old 07-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Wonder what the MPGs on this would be? I can push 42-45 highway on my conventional Fit. How high could they go? At least with the Fit, we are used to 100 hp. We wouldn't need the prius-sized ICE. It also is determined by the battery type, plug-in or not, etc. Could hit 60 mpg if done right, maybe more. I'm also curious about how much it will cost. An insight is 19,800 starting. If a Fit hybrid that gets 50-60 mpg came out under that, they'd probably fly off the lot. I'd buy one.

What about diesel hybrid fit?

That would be some serious mpgs there.

-P

Old 07-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
not sure if honda's that much "behind" considering the hybrid civics and even accords, right? im not very familiar with hybrid cars but thought i saw regular sedans using hybrid technology.

im not much of a fan of cars using large batteries as alternative source cause it's just a bigger piece of trash we need to worry about later on down the road. i think clean diesel is more realistic for me.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
not sure if honda's that much "behind" considering the hybrid civics and even accords, right? im not very familiar with hybrid cars but thought i saw regular sedans using hybrid technology.

im not much of a fan of cars using large batteries as alternative source cause it's just a bigger piece of trash we need to worry about later on down the road. i think clean diesel is more realistic for me.
Indeed. I'd probably choose a TDI over a hybrid, especially if they got comparable mileage.

The diagram of how a prius battery is made (and where it has to be shipped--in part or in whole) makes me quite sad, which would most-likely motivate me to get a TDI. Wish there were more of them in the US and they didn't cost >$23,000 starting.

Keeping my eye on that Golf TDI in the works (and reportedly coming here).

Still, if there were a clean diesel hybrid that got 80-100mpgs, I'm not sure I could resist it, battery or no. Guess I'd have to see how it was made.

-P

Old 07-09-2009, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
personally i am not a fan of the whole hybrid concept. it is hard enough just to keep a simple internal combustion engine running with all its associated systems. adding a huge battery and electric motor and related drivetrain components is just going to increase the complexity and make it even more difficult to keep running. there are many, many more things that can go wrong on a hybrid. i am a believer in the "keep it simple" maxim.

the vw diesel stuff is more appealing to me, but unfortunately vw is not yet selling a diesel hatch in the usa. the golf tdi is supposed to be available in the usa for model year 2010, but when it gets here it will have a waiting list and a premium price.