General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit Trailer Hitch ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 09:24 PM
You can also use this to carry the bike at the back

Old 06-02-2006, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 李克勤
You can also use this to carry the bike at the back

Takes to much time to install and remove every time to use. Plus, you can not lock it to the car.

Old 06-03-2006, 04:10 AM
These things are pretty handy but they don't fit over the spoiler. I used to use one of these racks on my xA and due to the weight of my bikes, it ended up slowly denting my car.

FITforKRUG,
That's a sweet set up however, I have a 20mm axle through for the front wheel so it's quite a pain to put the front wheel on and off but I really like that set up. Do the bikes sway at all?

Old 06-03-2006, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Paulo107
what would i tow i ask myself???
I have an '89 CRX with a trailer hitch. I have towed the following:

- U-Haul trailers (4 x 8, usually; and 5 x 8 once.)
- a couple of aluminum bass boats
- trailer carrying a couple Honda Elite 50cc scooters
- trailers carrying riding lawn mower

I got my (Reese made it) to pull the bass boat with. I NEVER had any issues towing with the CRX (92 hp) just had to take my time and allow plenty of braking room.

Back in my younger days, I moved with the CRX and 4 x 8 U-Haul on three different occasions. One move was over 200 miles and took 5 trips! THAT was interesting!!!

Old 06-12-2006, 03:51 PM
etrailer.com has hitch.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tradeguru123
etrailer.com has hitch.
You da man! Thank you SO MUCH for posting that link!!!

Old 06-12-2006, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Berto
i've heard horror stories of honda dealerships voiding transmission warranties when cars came in with trailer hitches.

the particular story i'mthinking about is a guy that never towed anything, used it only as a bike rack but honda didn't care.
It is in the manual I read it

Old 06-12-2006, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
Just placed the order. If I have to take the car in for warranty I'll pull off the hitch.

I will not be towing, just a bike rack.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
Inside Rack

Originally Posted by FITforKRUG
Here is how I transport my bike for now. I also would like to put a hitch on. I do not like the idea of a roof bike rack for looks and the increase in fuel usage.

I would not have bought the FIT if I couldn't fit a bike inside.

Nice setup! I like the way it keeps it secure and off the interior.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HaulSmall
Nice setup! I like the way it keeps it secure and off the interior.
Thanks,

I ride my mt. bikes all year long. It's keeps the salt off the bikes in the winter while transporting them inside.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:11 PM
That hitch from etrailer.com looks like just the ticket... I just want to use my bike carrier. FITForKRUG -- please post a write-up when you get your hitch... if it looks as easy as the install instructions say, they'll get my order too!

Old 06-13-2006, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by htewam
That hitch from etrailer.com looks like just the ticket... I just want to use my bike carrier. FITForKRUG -- please post a write-up when you get your hitch... if it looks as easy as the install instructions say, they'll get my order too!
I'll post photos of the installation. Before ordering the hitch I looked at the under side and it looks very simple to install. I looked at the online instructions provided by etrailer.com and there was only about 3 steps to on the sheet. This should be very easy installation. I have put on about 5 hitches over the years and this should be one of the faster installs. I will not be installing a wiring harness and I think that will save a lot of time.

I think it's going to about 10+ days for the hitch to be delivered.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
After two weeks I finaly got notice from etrailer.com that my hitch is being shipped. It should be here in about 5 days. As soon as it gets here I'll get it installed and post up on how it goes.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
Smile Trailer Hitch

Try this link: http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp...&model=Fit&h=e
boatfloyd

Old 07-04-2006, 11:31 AM
base hitch

Originally Posted by boatfloyd
Thanks for this link- they have $.99 shipping today only. I have no idea how to do this- the difficulty level is a 6 out of 10. Could an inexperienced person install this? Also, I was surprised there was a different hitch for the Fit base. I'm thinking of ordering-its $80.

Old 07-04-2006, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
I finally got my hitch installed and it was so easy. It took 13 min. to install including putting the tools away. I will post photos as soon as I have time. I installed the one with p/n 11058

Old 07-04-2006, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
I have the Curt hitch on hand, and the Draw-Tite one on the way. While the Curt one looks "cleaner", the Draw-Tite hitch allows for the skid shield to be reinstalled, but by doing so, it looks like it might reduce the ground clearance too much.

I haven't decided which one I want to install on my Fit, yet. The other hitch will end up on my other half's Fit, once it comes in.

Last edited by DewaltDakota; 07-04-2006 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITforKRUG
Just placed the order. If I have to take the car in for warranty I'll pull off the hitch.

I will not be towing, just a bike rack.
Once you install it you will not be taking it off. Besides, as long as you do not install a wire harness this shows Honda you do not tow and thus no argument for voiding the warranty.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
"Thanks for this link- they have $.99 shipping today only. I have no idea how to do this- the difficulty level is a 6 out of 10. Could an inexperienced person install this? Also, I was surprised there was a different hitch for the Fit base. I'm thinking of ordering-its $80".

Glad I could help.
boatfloyd

Old 07-05-2006, 01:41 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DewaltDakota
I have the Curt hitch on hand, and the Draw-Tite one on the way. While the Curt one looks "cleaner", the Draw-Tite hitch allows for the skid shield to be reinstalled, but by doing so, it looks like it might reduce the ground clearance too much.

I haven't decided which one I want to install on my Fit, yet. The other hitch will end up on my other half's Fit, once it comes in.

I have the Curt hitch on the way but was wondering if I should exchange it for the Draw-Tite one. What is the skid shield? Would you mind taking pics of this? Thanks for your input!

Quick Reply: Fit Trailer Hitch ?