General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Car Top Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 07:54 AM
Question Car Top Rack?

Hi, Has anyone found a car top rack that will fit the FIT? Also, this is the first Honda we've had (7) that does not have tie down bolts under the front end. I need to carry a kayak!. Help! Thanks

Old 04-26-2006, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claypaws
this is the first Honda we've had (7) that does not have tie down bolts under the front end. I need to carry a kayak!. Help! Thanks
The Fit's tiedown point can be found under the little circular panel, on the front side of the bumper. There is a screw-eye bolt that goes into the threads that will be exposed, once the panel is removed. I don't have my fit yet, so I can't tell you where to find the screw-eye.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:28 AM
It's in with the tire tools.

Old 04-27-2006, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
I emailed Yakima to find out if they are working on a rack for the Fit and if they had previously designed a rack for the Jazz. Here is the reply:

Hello Chuck, thank you for your inquiry about Yakima Products, Inc!
Our marvelous Yakima Fit Team is currently racking their brains out, assessing a rack fit the 2007 Honda Fit. Generally, this means that we will have a fit for your vehicle sometime in the near future, but not always. Sometimes we find that there is no way to fit your vehicle; in this case, we will upgrade this note to a "No Fit" status. Otherwise, we will list what towers, clips, and bars will work for you. Please be patient, though, there are a lot of new vehicles out there on the road today for our hard working team to check out! I will log that you would like a rack for your car. That will help show that there is a demand for it.
Please check www.yakima.com ィ Choose My Rack periodically to see if the fit information for your vehicle is available. Once we have a fit, the Choose My Rack section will immediately reflect that information.

We can only fit cars released in U.S., Canada and Mexico so were never able to get our hands on the UK's Jazz.
If you have any other questions, please contact Customer Service at 888-925-4621 7am to 5pm Pacific Time, Monday through Friday. If you reply to this email, please include all previous correspondence.
Thank you,
Yakima Support
Maybe if some other people show in interest in a rack for their Fit, Yakima will move it up on the priority list. Here is their email addrress:

support@yakima.com

Old 04-27-2006, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
That's the canned email they send out for all "we don't have it yet" requests.

In fact, I just got another copy of it a week ago, when I inquired about my 2005 Dodge Dakota... they're obviously not in any hurry.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Saris has no timeline either, but maybe if they get enough requests...

custsrv@graberproducts.com

Old 04-27-2006, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
I think the best bet is going to be with Thule, since they already have clips for the UK Jazz...

Old 04-27-2006, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
I called Yakima just this week and they said that since it's a 2007 model it's unlikely they will get to it anytime soon. Maybe by the end of the year (or sooner who knows) but that they are still furiously working on 2006 model cars. Maybe with interest they'll ramp up the sizing.

But I mentioned to them that I had a Yakima rack on my '92 civic hatchback and then used the same bars and towers on my '97 CRV as the fit guide listed (had to use different clips though). So being that I used the same 48" bars on both how likely was it to also fit the Fit? He said there was a good probability but he wouldn't confirm.

Old 04-27-2006, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
You don't have to buy the bar length that Yakima recommends. I measure the width of my car between the outside of the mirrors and base the bar length on that measurement. I usually run wider bars then they recommend so I can carry more bikes or a box and several bikes.

Old 04-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Talking I kayak too, and am awaiting part for my yakima rack

I kayak too, and am awaiting for a yakima rack solution for the fit/jazz. Someone here told me that Thule makes a rack, But I have a yakima set-up that worked great on my Element that I traded in. They also state a honda rack is in the making. In the mean time, I will use my old trusty inflatable kayak.

Old 04-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Roof load limit?

I think I've heard/read somewhere that you can only put 90# load on the roof on a Fit. Anyone confirm this from the manual?

If so, the towers, bars, and maybe bike trays weigh at least 20#, leaving only 70#. Two big mountain bikes, and that's it? I have two 55# kayaks- would be a no go? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

-matt

Old 04-27-2006, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eyedryve
I think I've heard/read somewhere that you can only put 90# load on the roof on a Fit. Anyone confirm this from the manual?

If so, the towers, bars, and maybe bike trays weigh at least 20#, leaving only 70#. Two big mountain bikes, and that's it? I have two 55# kayaks- would be a no go? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

-matt
How can that be? The car is designed to be upside down and not crush the people inside. I don't think that a fit weighs 70lbs.

I have a link at work for the UK Thule parts that are needed for the FiT. Honda also has bars in Japan and I'm not sure why they are not here yet. A Japanese guy at work helped me out and translated the Honda and Thule sites. Aparently there is a NAV on the Asian FiT and there is also a sunroof. How come were're not getting the good stuff?

Old 04-27-2006, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
It's not that the framework of the car can't support more than 90 pounds, it's the soft sheetmetal that envelopes it all. Load it up too much, and you can "oilcan" your roof!

Old 04-28-2006, 07:57 AM
car top weight, rack in Japan

I've hauled 3 kayaks(500 miles) on top of a temp rack on Civics with no problem. Maybe just be sure the base support is close to the edge.

I also received a reply from a dealer in Aus as they have an accessory rack there. He said....."The roof rack we sell in New Zealand is a rack which is developed here and in Australia.
A roof rack is listed as an accessory from Japan which i recommend that you purchase from your nearest Honda Dealer. If they dont have this on the shelf, they can order it in for you from Japan. There are three components to the roof rack as follows.
1. 08L02-TA1-A00 x1 Cross Bar Holding Set
2. 08L02-SAA-B00x1 Cross Bars
3. 08L15-SAA-000x1 Clip Attachment Set
This rack will now give you the two bars, and you will then need to purchase fitting attachments for whatever you may want to carry.(Ski's, Bike's,Luggage, etc)"

Maybe if Honda US gets tired of ordering from Japan, maybe they'll develop their own. I've bugged Honda central customer service (1-800-999-1009). They are supposedly getting me an answer. Haven't heard yet. Will post if I do.

I also got a reply from a Thule dealer. I think if you go to a dealer, they might be able to find a fit. May try that.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
Thule parts from the UK

I found these on a UK site for the Jazz. Looks like Thule has something, now all we need is it here in the states.

http://www.car-roofracks.co.uk/cgi-b...racks_bars.cgi

At the bottom of the page click on Honda and then search for Jazz

Old 04-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Originally Posted by claypaws
Hi, Has anyone found a car top rack that will fit the FIT? Also, this is the first Honda we've had (7) that does not have tie down bolts under the front end. I need to carry a kayak!. Help! Thanks
You just need the Honda roof racks with dedicated Kayak attachment.

You can view all the other attachments here
http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/conn...go+and+Touring

Old 06-05-2006, 08:20 AM
I got the Thule rack for the Jazz from:

http://www.car-roofracks.co.uk/cgi-b...racks_bars.cgi

it fits fine-so far we have the Hull-A-Ports (J Racks) up and driving at high speeds creates a lot of wind resistance and we haven't even tried the 2 kayaks yet. So I'm not sure driving at high speeds long distance will be good. I have no idea on weight but Honda Japan makes a roof rack adn kayak attachment for the Japan Fit so I am assuming the US Fit can accomodate the weight of these.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nam1026
driving at high speeds creates a lot of wind resistance and we haven't even tried the 2 kayaks yet. So I'm not sure driving at high speeds long distance will be good.
Have you tried to put a fairing up there? I was getting a ton of wind noise with the Thule racks and it quieted right down after I installed the Thule fairing at the front.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:00 PM
those are the flat black things with Thule written on them? I always wondered what they were for. This is my first time with a Thule system. You think that would even help with the J Racks standing up too?

Old 06-05-2006, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, that is what those things are. I'm not sure about the wind noise on the J racks but most of the wind noise is from the bars being close to the roof. That is where most of the whistling comes from and the faring stops that.

Quick Reply: Car Top Rack?