General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Car Top Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Arrow

Originally Posted by rxb
I installed a Thule roofrack that I ordered from the UK, and put on a luggage basket I already had. Now I just need a fairing, since there's noticeable wind noise. Anyone know what size fairing I need?

Also thanks for all the valuable advice here. We're now ready to drive to Maine with 4 people and a dog and luggage. It only remains to make the drive a little quieter.
I believe you will need Thule Fairing Medium Part #871. I think is about 44-46 inches. Good luck and have a safe trip!

Old 08-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by bschurma
Here is mine: http://www.bogeydog.net/pics/album16/DSC_0008

I got the fit kit, bars, and towers from the UK. The trays and fairing are US. I would highly recommend the fairing. Without it, the wind noise is unbearable.
What size fairing did you order? And will US fairings fit both the traditional and aero bars? All websites in the UK only have fairings that will fit the traditional bars only...thanks for your help.

Last edited by PJ250R; 08-08-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by NCFit
No problems so far with wind noise... I have had it on the highway loaded and unloaded with no noise. I have posted more pictures of the rack at http://hondafittrips.blogspot.com/ Hope this helps!
Cool! Have you noticed any huge drops in MPG using the rack? I mean, if you're using it, I'm guessing you're hauling gear and people so that can't help either

Old 08-08-2006, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Packy
Cool! Have you noticed any huge drops in MPG using the rack? I mean, if you're using it, I'm guessing you're hauling gear and people so that can't help either
Fully loaded, 4 creek boats, 4 paddles (inside), 4 people and gear... still over 30 MPG! No joke.. I am like this about four times a week going to the river.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Any one out there have access to info on the Yakima rack system for the Jazz/fit. I own a good condition rack bars locks that I hope to put back to use. I may have to sell it and convert to thule... I need help bad on this one my life is horrible

Old 08-08-2006, 05:22 PM
I believe you will need Thule Fairing Medium Part #871. I think is about 44-46 inches. Good luck and have a safe trip!
I just checked out Thule's website, and saw that part number 871 is 38".... just in case you are ordering by inches and not part number.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PJ250R
I just checked out Thule's website, and saw that part number 871 is 38".... just in case you are ordering by inches and not part number.
If you will look again the small has the same number as the medium. The large is 58 inches so, I think it is just a glitch. There is no way that the small and medium are the same size... Another way is to ask when ordering, tell them you have 48 inch bars and they will make suggestions.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
since this thread is about Kayaks on the roof of the Fits, I thought I'd throw in somethin too. I haven't bought my Kayak yet, but I eventually will. I like to fish alot and want to get to the hot spots. Never owned a kayak before so this will be my first. But anyway, at Academy Sports or Cabela's, they have foam blocks to lay your kayak on. That foam block sits on top of the roof. Then you strap down the kayak.

I want to get a Rack but I will try this for now. The River I fish at is only a few miles from my house and it's the only place I fish.

But it would be nice to have a clamp on style roof rack. I don't want to drill any holes in my car.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by big Fit
Any one out there have access to info on the Yakima rack system for the Jazz/fit. I own a good condition rack bars locks that I hope to put back to use. I may have to sell it and convert to thule... I need help bad on this one my life is horrible
Check out drknife's blog... he used Yakima!

Old 08-08-2006, 09:21 PM
I got my rack from the UK. I got the Aero style bars. I bought my fairing in the U.S.A. Thule site. You have the get the large. Believe me, don't get anything smaller. If I could figure out how to post pics on this website, I'd show my setup (quite nice, I think). The fairing will fit on the traditional and aero bars (the latest fairing, $75, sold on the Thule website).

Old 08-08-2006, 10:02 PM
the manager at my local EMS said he thought maybe the fairing wouldn't work well cause its supposed to be right up against the windshield and it would be on the fit.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
Arrow

Originally Posted by John Barbuto
I got my rack from the UK. I got the Aero style bars. I bought my fairing in the U.S.A. Thule site. You have the get the large. Believe me, don't get anything smaller. If I could figure out how to post pics on this website, I'd show my setup (quite nice, I think). The fairing will fit on the traditional and aero bars (the latest fairing, $75, sold on the Thule website).
Figure out how to post pix... there is a sticky on each of the forum boards giving instructions. I would personally like to see some other Fits with racks and toys on top! Hook it up!

Old 08-09-2006, 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by John Barbuto
"I believe you will need Thule Fairing Medium Part #871. I think is about 44-46 inches." by NCFIT

Thanks guys for the info. I just needed clarification on the fairing size. This Thule link shows the fairing sizes:

870 = 32" S
871 = 38" M
872 = 44" L
873 = 52" XL

I've heard two different sizes to order, the 871 which is a Medium, and the 872 which is a Large. What inch fairing did you order, just to make sure we are talking about the same one. Thanks again!

http://thule.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/th...cGFnZT0x&p_li=

Last edited by PJ250R; 08-09-2006 at 03:18 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
Arrow

Would definatley go with the large. Sorry for the mis-information... I did not and am not going to put fairing on my Fit.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah John figure it out so we can see more Fits with racks and stuff. What do you carry on yours?

Old 08-09-2006, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by valdesebent
Yeah John figure it out so we can see more Fits with racks and stuff. What do you carry on yours?
I am not John, but here are some bikes for you valdesebent...

Two bike on one side and room for two boats on the other. All that it required is for the seats to be removed. No problem. Both the bike trays are from the US.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:12 PM
rxb
I was hoping to make my momentous fairing-size decision this evening so I can go buy the damned thing. The only thing that holds me back from following the obviously sensible advice to get the large (872) based on the personal experience of a fellow-poster is the contradictory advice on the Thule website to get the medium (871). That latter advice, however, is a result of a roundabout process of finding equivalencies between the UK and US products, and rests on the premise that when Thule finally has a Fit fit kit for the US market it will use LB50 load bars - for which Thule recommends the medium (871) fairing. I realize there is something a little comically pathetic about devoting so much mental energy to this problem as the world slowly crumbles around us, but if you're going to place your hope and trust in something, even something called a "fairing", to make your trips a little quieter, you want to get the right one. I've put this vexing question directly to the sages at Thule today, and will share any response I get.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
rxb - if a disgruntled englishman read your post aloud, I would probably have lost my drink. Something about the wording. . .

I wish I could help out, as I have been up and down and back again on the roof rack road, unfortunately I chose the Yakima route.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rxb
I was hoping to make my momentous fairing-size decision this evening so I can go buy the damned thing. The only thing that holds me back from following the obviously sensible advice to get the large (872) based on the personal experience of a fellow-poster is the contradictory advice on the Thule website to get the medium (871). That latter advice, however, is a result of a roundabout process of finding equivalencies between the UK and US products, and rests on the premise that when Thule finally has a Fit fit kit for the US market it will use LB50 load bars - for which Thule recommends the medium (871) fairing. I realize there is something a little comically pathetic about devoting so much mental energy to this problem as the world slowly crumbles around us, but if you're going to place your hope and trust in something, even something called a "fairing", to make your trips a little quieter, you want to get the right one. I've put this vexing question directly to the sages at Thule today, and will share any response I get.

Usually if you go to a store and have more human contact they will let you see if it Fits... way way to complicated!

Old 08-09-2006, 10:35 PM
rxb
Usually if you go to a store and have more human contact they will let you see if it Fits... way way to complicated!
I think you've got something there.
But I've been reading Dickens' "Bleak House", and this experience seems to encourage a tendency to infuse a pensive verbose fog into the most straightforward and practical questions, such as this Search for the right Fairing.

Four Fairings doth Thule make to stem
the noisy rush of air atop of cars
But which will best deflect that rushing stream
of air from Honda Fit's load bars?

Quick Reply: Car Top Rack?