General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Car Top Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
just so everyone knows, the thule system sold in the rest of the world for the fit/jazz is not compatible with US thule systems. The clips only fit the foreign market towers, and you have to use aero bars with the groove in them.

Honda uses thule accesories for their accesory roof racks here in the US, so maybe if you can get your hands on the rack from new zealand/japan, you can use normal thule attachments.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 743power
just so everyone knows, the thule system sold in the rest of the world for the fit/jazz is not compatible with US thule systems. The clips only fit the foreign market towers, and you have to use aero bars with the groove in them.

Honda uses thule accesories for their accesory roof racks here in the US, so maybe if you can get your hands on the rack from new zealand/japan, you can use normal thule attachments.
Completly untrue. I have the UK Jazz racks on my US fit and they fit fine. The US market faring fits fine and the US market V2 bike trays fits fine. They do NOT need the aero bars, you can get them with the standard square bars from the UK. Also, the aero bars are sold in the US too so there are accessories avaliable for them.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:50 PM
????

Why would you speculate something like this, and then have your information discounted IMMEDIATELY by someone who has actually done it?

Did you just guess this, or can you provide more information to substantiate this??

If you are sure, I will go to great lengths to find out if you are right. If you are simply guessing, don't, and thanks.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eyedryve
Why would you speculate something like this, and then have your information discounted IMMEDIATELY by someone who has actually done it?

Did you just guess this, or can you provide more information to substantiate this??

If you are sure, I will go to great lengths to find out if you are right. If you are simply guessing, don't, and thanks.

Just going by what I was told from a fellow at roofrackshop, from the UK. No need to get edgy.

I know you can get the aero bars in the US, but from what I was told, that is the only part available in our market that you can buy here to form the base rack system. The fit kit and towers have to be sourced from the UK or somewhere else. The guy I spoke with also said the traditional square Thule bars are not compatible with the system they sell for the fit.

So basically, to my current knowledge, nothing I wrote in my post is wrong, unless someone can show that the 1312 fit kit works with a US market tower.

I'm sorry to get involved in this post though. I don't own a fit yet, but when I get mine I will be using my yakima rack most likely. I have a thule with square bares, but all my bike trays are for the round bars only.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by trialsbug
I emailed Yakima to find out if they are working on a rack for the Fit and if they had previously designed a rack for the Jazz. Here is the reply:

Maybe if some other people show in interest in a rack for their Fit, Yakima will move it up on the priority list. Here is their email addrress:

support@yakima.com
I started a thread about this very thing. Email yakima or thule to let them know you have an intrest in the product....

Old 06-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Thanks

Just going by what I was told from a fellow at roofrackshop, from the UK. No need to get edgy.

I know you can get the aero bars in the US, but from what I was told, that is the only part available in our market that you can buy here to form the base rack system. The fit kit and towers have to be sourced from the UK or somewhere else. The guy I spoke with also said the traditional square Thule bars are not compatible with the system they sell for the fit.

So basically, to my current knowledge, nothing I wrote in my post is wrong, unless someone can show that the 1312 fit kit works with a US market tower.

I'm sorry to get involved in this post though. I don't own a fit yet, but when I get mine I will be using my yakima rack most likely. I have a thule with square bares, but all my bike trays are for the round bars only.
Now I have more to work with. I appreciate the reply.

Oh, and sorry for the edginess. I love this forum because generally it's always full of good information, instead of the mindless, brainless posts and speculation on other sites. Bickering and clueless.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by eyedryve; 06-06-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member

What is wrong with this:

https://www.roofrackshop.com/vehicle...asp?vehID=2207

On this page you can get the Thule 761 load bars which are square just like the ones in the US, and they fit the 750 towers that will work with the 1312 fit kit. There is no reason not to get the entire setup here and then throw on a US faring, US bike rack, US kayak rack etc... US market stuff will fit the square bars. Once I get my camera back today I'll take a picture of my fit with the roof rack on it. I bought all the pieces from the roofrackshop except the bike trays and the fairing. Went on the car fine, no problems and the US market stuff fit exactly like it was supposed to.

But you said that your bike trays will only fit round bars which means that you will have to get a Yakima rack. Nothing Thule can do about that. They don't make round bars but their bike trays will fit both round and square bars.

Last edited by bschurma; 06-06-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:13 PM
We bought the roof rack from overseas for the Jazz and have been transporting two 50 lbs kayaks on it with absolutely no probelm. email me if anyone wants photos

Old 06-10-2006, 10:02 AM
What was the total cost (shipping and all)? Did you get the aero bars? I've looked into one U.K. site, but the added shipping and us dollar valule made the whole thing seem far more than it would be for a U.S. based order.

Old 06-10-2006, 10:12 AM
I paid $300 total and that included $55 shipping. I figured it out to be $350 here IF they had the rack system for the Fit which they do not!
I got the regular bars.

Old 06-10-2006, 10:59 AM
What website did you get it from?

Old 06-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Old 06-10-2006, 12:23 PM
would love to see pics

Old 06-10-2006, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Here is mine: http://www.bogeydog.net/pics/album16/DSC_0008

I got the fit kit, bars, and towers from the UK. The trays and fairing are US. I would highly recommend the fairing. Without it, the wind noise is unbearable.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:30 AM
I just placed an order with them, and they replied saying that they do not ship outside the U.K.

I guess I'll be waiting for U.S. availability. All the other U.K. sites want $100 for shipping, which makes the whole package just too much.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:38 AM
http://www.car-roofracks.co.uk/

you went to this site? you have to go thru the whole order process and then they email you back with a shipping quote and then you can proceed with the order. Maybe I posted the wrong site. I live in NY and shipping was $55 here.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
I called Yakima on the phone and they said that a number of people have asked about the Fit. They said they would definitely make a rack for it but don't know when. The more people that email or call, the better.

There are some "drill holes in the roof" options but I have not heard of anyone who has done this yet.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:05 PM
I went through the complete ordering process, and got this email today:

Hi, My apologies but we do not currently ship outside of the U.K. hence the problem with the shipping and the total.
Regards
Sales
Car Roofracks Ltd
01752 600771
sales@car-roofracks.co.uk
http://www.car-roofracks.co.uk

Old 06-14-2006, 06:29 AM
what is the spread (front to back" between your crossbars? this is my only concern about the Fit racks.

The fit has a fairly long flat roof which would be great to utilize giving a nice wide spread...requiring a permanent rack track install.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:46 AM
I did exactly the 24" that Thule had in the directions.

Quick Reply: Car Top Rack?