General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

New to the Fit, couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 08:52 PM
New to the Fit, couple of questions

Well I'm over from the Dodge Charger forums so this is a biiiig change. I've tried finding this stuff in the stickies but no luck and after a hour of failed searching I've had enough.

First, what are the parameters that the vtec runs under? when does it engage, rpms, load, etc. I had the MDS down on the hemi so I would like to get this down as well.

How do the generation of cars work? I don't even know what specific forum to use since they both have 08 in them.

I have an 08 Fit with the auto tranny and sports package. Whether the car is in d or im shifting with the paddles, the tranny shifts really hard from 1-2 especially and even 2-3. 1-2 is under hard acceleration or light. Is this normal? I'm use to the 5 speed in my charger mated to the hemi and it was smoooth. Just wondering if it's something to check out or just get used to.

That's it for now. Thanks in advance for the help and patience!

Vince Pompey

Old 06-23-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm pretty sure vtec engages at 3400rpm. I have the service manual in the garage, I'll look it up later. Try checking google.

Oh and 2007/2008 = 1st gen (GD3) Fit
2009+ = 2nd gen (GE8) Fit

Old 06-23-2009, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum.

VTEC always engages at 3400RPMs, but if the engine is experiencing a heavy load it'll force it to engage as low as 2300RPMs.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...completed.html
(^ Topic backing forced VTEC comment up)

The hard shifts are normal but can be prevented most of the time if you lift up off the throttle a little then shift with the upshift paddle. I usually am in "S" shifting manually between 2.5-3k when doing this. If you like to downshift with the paddles but don't like the lurch/jerk, you can blip the throttle right after pulling the downshift paddle which will the engine to rev match sooner and minimize the lurch/jerk.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Cool thanks for the quick replies guys! I almost always let the car downshift itself and stay in 'S' to keep the rpms low and to keep the car from uneccesarily downshifting when breaking. So question is with the VTEC, for best gas mileage, am I better off being in say third, pulling a hill at 3500 rpm with very little throttle or in 4th with the throttle open more than half way but under 3200 rpm? Thanks again!

Vince Pompey

Old 06-23-2009, 10:19 PM
welcome to the fit world

Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
You'd be better of in 3rd because your not straining the little 1.5 engine and whenever you add more throttle in fourth. Really all you are doing at that point is forcing the Fit to go into VTEC in a higher gear which is wasting more fuel.

I used to do the same as you by short shifting the Fit and causing it to rev high in the higher gears. (~3k RPMs@55 mph in 5th opposed to ~2.2K rpms@ same speed and gear) When I did that I used to get 24-28 MPG on a mostly flat route, after allowing the engine to rev higher (2.8k rpms 1-3, 2.5k 4 & 5) I've been getting 32+ MPG.

Also, if you haven't noticed so far. If you keep the Fit in "S" and not touch a paddle it will not upshift from 3rd to 4th until you are around 70-70MPH. (Depends on the throttle position)

Last edited by Hootie; 06-23-2009 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Added personal experience
Old 06-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
car drives best in D mode. use the left paddle and blip throttle to downshift smoothly. let the AT shiftup by itself unless you want to hold a gear during a turn. but again, afterwards let the AT shift up on its own.

i have a 09AT and a 08MT.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Good stuff thanks guys!

Also, if you haven't noticed so far. If you keep the Fit in "S" and not touch a paddle it will not upshift from 3rd to 4th until you are around 70-70MPH. (Depends on the throttle position)
Hmm never have had it in S without using the paddles, good thing to know though.

I used to do the same as you by short shifting the Fit and causing it to rev high in the higher gears. (~3k RPMs@55 mph in 5th opposed to ~2.2K rpms@ same speed and gear) When I did that I used to get 24-28 MPG on a mostly flat route, after allowing the engine to rev higher (2.8k rpms 1-3, 2.5k 4 & 5) I've been getting 32+ MPG
That makes sense. The MDS ran a bit differently and with the torque the 8 had the car would pull hills at 1400 rpm hahaha so I guess that's where that habit comes from! I'll definitly have to try that out, allowing the car to rev a bit more. I've been pretty much shifting asap, which I've found under light load is well, starting off in 2nd (and staying there in stop and go traffic), 3rd almost immediatly after rolling, 4th at 20 mph, and 5th at 30. So you're saying this isn't necessarily the best route to go? What about the starting out in 2nd, always seemed a bit wierd to me.

While I have your attention, is there anything I should keep an eye on with these cars as far as servicing or little gems of info? I was reading in a post while searching that one should depend on the oil life indicator pretty heavily and not just mileage? I usually just do every 5k.

Sorry for all the typing and questions, just want to get this all straightened out haha

Oh and has anyone else found the location of the pedals, ecpecially the gas, to be strange? The gas pedal seems like its floating in mid air instead of closer to the floor, I only drive the car without shoes otherwise I have to hold my foot up and my leg cramps. My only pet peeve so I guess that's a plus.

Ok that's waay to much thanks again I'm gooone

Old 06-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Hey just wanted to say welcome to fit freak! This is probably the best (imo) fit community you'll ever find

Old 06-23-2009, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whitert
That makes sense. The MDS ran a bit differently and with the torque the 8 had the car would pull hills at 1400 rpm hahaha so I guess that's where that habit comes from!
I know the feeling, I drove an '06 300C and the torque from the 5.7 Hemis is addicting.

I'll definitly have to try that out, allowing the car to rev a bit more. I've been pretty much shifting asap, which I've found under light load is well, starting off in 2nd (and staying there in stop and go traffic), 3rd almost immediatly after rolling, 4th at 20 mph, and 5th at 30. So you're saying this isn't necessarily the best route to go? What about the starting out in 2nd, always seemed a bit wierd to me.
Shifting at those points is something I'd recommend for being in a traffic jam or around low speed areas but not for stop light to stop light traffic or on elevations. For those cases I'd shift from 1-2 to at 15 MPH, 2-3 at 25, 3-4 at 35-40, and 4-5 at 50-60. Shifting at those points doesn't allow the engine to rev up and go into forced VTEC.

While I have your attention, is there anything I should keep an eye on with these cars as far as servicing or little gems of info? I was reading in a post while searching that one should depend on the oil life indicator pretty heavily and not just mileage? I usually just do every 5k.
Thats everyone's own personal belief and practice. Some change their oils every 3k, others when the indicator tells them. However if you do your own oil changes just be sure you learn how to reset the oil life indicator and memorize or bookmark the service codes just in case they pop up.

Oh and has anyone else found the location of the pedals, ecpecially the gas, to be strange? The gas pedal seems like its floating in mid air instead of closer to the floor, I only drive the car without shoes otherwise I have to hold my foot up and my leg cramps. My only pet peeve so I guess that's a plus.

Ok that's waay to much thanks again I'm gooone
The peddle positioning itself doesn't bug me, its just the weightless feel of the gas peddle that does. However someone made a DIY to fix that.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...gas-pedal.html

Old 06-24-2009, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
You'd be better of in 3rd because your not straining the little 1.5 engine and whenever you add more throttle in fourth. Really all you are doing at that point is forcing the Fit to go into VTEC in a higher gear which is wasting more fuel.

I used to do the same as you by short shifting the Fit and causing it to rev high in the higher gears. (~3k RPMs@55 mph in 5th opposed to ~2.2K rpms@ same speed and gear) When I did that I used to get 24-28 MPG on a mostly flat route, after allowing the engine to rev higher (2.8k rpms 1-3, 2.5k 4 & 5) I've been getting 32+ MPG.

This basically gets back to the same old debate about where the Fit's engine operates most efficiently. If only Honda would publish a BSFC map for the Fit engine.

Usually one would think that the lower RPM/higher load is actually the more efficient way to go since a more open throttle reduces pumping losses and allows the engine to make the same amount of brake HP using less fuel. However, with the valve timing shift, who knows where that optimum spot really is?

I don't know if anyone with a scangauge has ever gone out and rigorously tested the instant fuel consumption on an incline at a steady speed in different gears to see what the difference is. If I had one, I'd be all over it, because I've battled myself on how to think about this problem many times.