General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

When Will Supply Catch Up With Demand

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Blazer Deli
I think the Fit will be under MSRP in less than that. Why would an average joe pay MSRP on a Fit when they can deal on a Civic for little more.
Not just the Civic. The Accord VP is going for right about $17,000. That is not too much more expensive than the fit, and near a Civic LX. The Accord is 34 highway which is not as good as 38, but not too far behind. Remember the Aveo is 35 hwy - only 1 more than Accord.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DRum
Not just the Civic. The Accord VP is going for right about $17,000. That is not too much more expensive than the fit, and near a Civic LX. The Accord is 34 highway which is not as good as 38, but not too far behind. Remember the Aveo is 35 hwy - only 1 more than Accord.
I think people who can't get the Fit are switching to buying the Civic LX, mostly because you can get a Civic LX for just a little more than you pay for a Fit now. Which is not a bad thing because I've test-driven a Civic LX and it is an excellent car.

The Fit could get competition from Toyota's Scion division if they decide to import this car as the Scion xA successor:

Old 04-26-2006, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
I don't understand why the Fits supply is so low right now. I even had a saleman tell me they were going to have low production numbers. WTF?! It's a daily commuter, not a rare sports car.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Well, it is less than a week after launch. The supply chain needs to fill up for steady supply, which might take a bit. Also, as noted elsewhere, Honda may be tooling for a model change at the Suzuka factory.

I wouldn't be making judgments about "limited supply" until June or so, when manufacturing and supply chain have had an opportunity to really ramp up.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
I think it didn't help things that they backed up the cars at the ports, trying to keep them from hitting dealers until as close to the 20th as they could. My car has been sitting at the Port of Baltimore for almost three weeks, and it's killing me!

Old 04-26-2006, 11:43 AM
mav
Originally Posted by aywwsd
civic = mass produced, more supply then demand. fit = not enough supply to meet the demand.
Thats the funniest thing I've read this morning. Whats the Fit? Not mass produced? The only limit is how many Honda can sell.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Anybody ever hear any production numbers for the NA Fit?

Old 04-26-2006, 12:08 PM
That Ractis looks pretty good.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Despite costing MORE after a Civic LX after negotiation, the Fit Sport was the only one I considered. Like I said on another thread, I'd rather bus than drive a sedan. The Fit is selling well enough here in Vancouver than it doesn't seem like the price differential between the Civic and the Fit matters all that much

Old 04-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter
I don't understand why the Fits supply is so low right now. I even had a saleman tell me they were going to have low production numbers. WTF?! It's a daily commuter, not a rare sports car.
I've heard honda cut production approx 25% lowering production for the fit to approx 40,000 for this year. They did this so they could free up more space to meet demand for their Civic hybrid.

Old 04-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by mav
Thats the funniest thing I've read this morning. Whats the Fit? Not mass produced? The only limit is how many Honda can sell.
and you came to this conclusion how??

every single honda produced vehicle is based strictly on allocation. there is a limit to how many are produced and each dealership get. honda isnt gm or ford where you can order as many vehicle as you want.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:00 PM
mav
Originally Posted by aywwsd
and you came to this conclusion how??

every single honda produced vehicle is based strictly on allocation. there is a limit to how many are produced and each dealership get. honda isnt gm or ford where you can order as many vehicle as you want.
Because we're talking about 40K to 50K cars. Its not limited whatsoever. The limited, low production car that Honda is currently selling is the S2000.

Plus Honda can and will increase production if the demand is there.

Old 04-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Isn't the Civic the Motor Trend Car of the Year? My dealership had one Civic left on its lot. Just one.

My friend got a Civic from them a week earlier and they had to go into the back lot where the cars fresh off the truck are kept to find one.

It seems like Honda is making more Civics to keep up with demand and limiting production on what is their cheapest model. If they aren't having any problems selling the more expensive car, then they'll probably want to push the supply on that one moreso to keep up with demand.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by mav
Because we're talking about 40K to 50K cars. Its not limited whatsoever. The limited, low production car that Honda is currently selling is the S2000.

Plus Honda can and will increase production if the demand is there.
the value of the car have nothing to do with the availability.

and s2000 is far from limited, in fact they are dime a dozen. the reason why they are low production is because not many people even wants them. produce 20,000 units and sell them out, or produce 30,000 units and have 10,000 of them sit on the lots.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by ex_MGB
Well, I have not heard anything from a dealer. Three weeks ago I sent an e-mail to the same dealer I bought a '05 Ody from in Dec '05. No response. Then as soon as I could, last Sunday I built a Blue Fit Sport on Honda's website. No response.

It looks like the perfect storm I feared is materializing. Gas prices shooting up, people looking for econo cars and the Fit being ranked the highest by all the comparos.

I'll be back in the States soon, so I guess I'll be visiting a dealer. I was hoping just to stroll in, sign some papers, hand over a check and be a proud owner. Not looking forward to negotiating with a salesman who knows he's holding a winning hand.
Where do you live? I sell Hondas here in Maryland. We have a few Fits that arent spoken for and we are not marking them up over MSRP.
Neal

Old 04-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by verily
Isn't the Civic the Motor Trend Car of the Year? My dealership had one Civic left on its lot. Just one.

My friend got a Civic from them a week earlier and they had to go into the back lot where the cars fresh off the truck are kept to find one.

It seems like Honda is making more Civics to keep up with demand and limiting production on what is their cheapest model. If they aren't having any problems selling the more expensive car, then they'll probably want to push the supply on that one moreso to keep up with demand.
I was told by our District Manager that Honda is testing the waters to see how the Fit is accepted. If it takes off they can increase production almost immediatly.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by verily
Same situation here - no Civics on the lot at all and all three dealerships in my area sold their allocations of Fits (4-5 each) in three days.

Also note that Civics and Fits are not included in the current Honda low rate finance offers...

Old 04-26-2006, 10:40 PM
No Fits that I could see at my dealership today. I had to stop by to take care of some unfinished business. I was afraid that they'd start showing my car off to people.