General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit vs. Cube ....decisions decisions

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 12:12 PM
I just had to make this same decision. I chose the fit for a number of reasons. First, the Fit felt nicer on the inside to me...a bit more luxurious. Also, the Fit was more fun to drive. In addition, I was surprised that it actually had more room than the Cube, cargo capacity being a huge factor in my decision. In addition, like someone else said, I think the classic lines of the Fit will hold up better over time.

I was slightly disappointed in the Cube in person, too. It didn't look as iconic as I'd hoped. Sort of plain, actually. I didn't like the feel of the seats, and as I stated earlier, it seemed a bit cheaper on the inside.

So, I bought a fit...nearly two weeks ago now! And I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:48 PM
I haven't seen the Cube in person yet, but based on the pix I've seen, its very Scion-like. Since you seemingly like the style & appeal of both, it would basically come down to your needs, what are you going to use it for and the one that better fits that need? no pun intended.

I can't dislike Nissan. I have owned a Nissan 240sx in the past and really loved it, never had any issues with it mechanically. It was a dream to drive. However, it did appear to be cursed with getting rear-ended and died a painful death. I so miss that car.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:26 PM
And the winner is..........Honda Fit!

We made the deal for an orange Honda Fit Sport last night and drove it off the lot. I really wrestled with this one, but the handling and functionality of the Fit won me over. Another feature that made a surprising difference for me was the paddle shifters. Since my commute makes a manual impractical, having at least a little control over the transmission added value.

So count me among the new Honda faithful!

Now on to looking at ram air intakes.............

Old 06-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Filithell

We made the deal for an orange Honda Fit Sport last night and drove it off the lot. I really wrestled with this one, but the handling and functionality of the Fit won me over. Another feature that made a surprising difference for me was the paddle shifters. Since my commute makes a manual impractical, having at least a little control over the transmission added value.

That's really an interesting coincidence. I was trying to decide between a Cube and a Fit (as stated earlier) and I was won over by the Orange Fit with Paddle Shifters, as well. Welcome to the club!

Old 06-14-2009, 06:16 PM
no lie, if the cube had come out before the fit, i wouldve bought one instead.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I saw one today... my wife said "Wow, that is the only car I have ever seen that has a waistline"... lol, the more I looked the more I noticed it is shaped like an hour glass!!

Old 06-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member

WELCOME ABOARD!!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Driven about 150 miles in the first 36 hours of ownership....and getting 35.3 mpg so far! Or so says the little computerized display. I'll find out the real mpg at my first fill-up.

Also, I filled it with four good-sized adults last night and went out to dinner. I was generally surprised that it seemed to handle a full passenger load very nicely.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:36 AM
I really like boxy cars (Element, old xB, Clubman, etc). While it is some consolation that the Cube has been around for 10 years, the fact that it just came to North America still seems dicey to me. I like the look of it, though I am not sold on some of the gimmicks like mood lighting and that toilet toupee on the dashboard.

But because of the newness I didn't even bother test driving one. This car was intended to be a 10-year purchase for me...I wanted tech that has been proven in this market. Sorry, Cube. Maybe the wifey will want to try one if you are still around a few years from now.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:06 PM
I really liked the exterior of the Cube. I didn't like the MPG and I didn't get to see the interior except from the outside.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome! You made a wise, informed choice.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
I really liked the exterior of the Cube. I didn't like the MPG and I didn't get to see the interior except from the outside.
Ironically, I bought my Fit from a Nissan dealer (I guess the previous owner traded the Fit). While I was at the dealer, I saw the Cube Krom. I also didnt get to sit inside. It had chrome wheels Anyhow, I noticed the seats were probably good for long drives of all straight lines b/c it lacked any type of lateral support. And the seats are placed very high in the car. The interior (especially the passenger side) reminded me of American trucks.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:26 PM
ckc
Welcome aboard and congrats on the purchase!

I just saw a Cube on the road for the first time on Monday. Managed to get a picture with my cell while at a red light.

Not sure what to think of it, but it's certainly different seeing it in person.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:27 PM
I think I've been down that road...

I think the Cube looks cool, especially the Cube Krom. I doubt I'd feel comfortable owning one though. I have heard it shares the same platform, engine, transmission and more with the Versa--a Versa like the one I traded in for the Fit?! No thanks...I will happily stick with my Fit.

Cube=eye candy only, seriously.

Make the Versa nightmares stoppp!!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by somdamon
Make the Versa nightmares stoppp!!
Is the Versa really that bad? My neighbor has a Versa and when she saw my Fit she started telling me how much she hates the Versa and wishes she had gotten a Fit instead.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
It's hard to go wrong with Honda reliability but the Cube is very cool and hip, I love the ripple head liner, it's got a lot of little cool touches here and there. The Fit gets better gas mileage and probably handles better but the cube got more power and utility.

If you want utility and cool factor get the cube
If you want fun to drive and better gas mileage get the Fit.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by jzerocsk
Is the Versa really that bad? My neighbor has a Versa and when she saw my Fit she started telling me how much she hates the Versa and wishes she had gotten a Fit instead.
My experience with the Versa was very disappointing.

At 500 miles the brakes were continuing (began when driven off the lot and was first told that a break in period was needed) to shutter/vibrate when breaking moderately hard. And no, it wasn't the ABS kickin' in--car did not have ABS. Turns out the rotors needed to be turned. AT 500 MILES!

At 700 miles the defrost mode vent setting stopped working. Verdict=vent ductwork became disconected?!

At 1000 miles brake rotor issue RETURNS!

My Versa also had a strong chemical/plastic kind of smell permeating the cabin. Stayed with the car from day 1.

Highway drama included no feeling in the steering. No center point of any kind. A constant correction was needed to keep the car in a lane. God help you if a gust of wind arrives.

These are the main reasons that led to a Fit upgrade. I have owned many Nissans in the past, and was quite surprised by the lack of build quality the Versa had to offer.

So if the under-pinnings of the Cube is a Versa masqerading as a Cube, then enough said. Go Fit!!

Old 06-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Drove home late from a concert last night with my wife in the passengers seat. Showed her how the back seat can flip up which lets the front seat lay back almost flat. She flipped out......then fell asleep..........

500 miles in the first 5 days. Enjoying it increasingly. I have seen a few Cubes on the road and I still think they are cool. They are comfortable inside, distinctive, allow a high view of the road (which is a positive in my book), and have good cargo space. But..........they aren't as versatile and drive like a computer game. It finally dawned on me that the steering feel was very near the feel I get on the wheel I have attached to my PC! And for me, that's not a good thing.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
i think the cube is REALLY cool looking, a great piece of functional art on wheels.

but dynamically, there is no car in the class that matches the fit. (the mazda 2/ford fiesta probably will exceed it, but at the expense of lots of space.)

good choice.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
and getting 35.3 mpg so far! Or so says the little computerized display.
it lies... usually 10%optimistic. most likely 31mpg

glaad you like your fit!

Quick Reply: Fit vs. Cube ....decisions decisions