General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Trading in a Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Trading in a Fit

I've been thinking about getting another car recently which would involve trading the Fit in. For those of you that might have done or considered doing this, how are the Fit's holding their value? I don't want to lose my ass trading the car in.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:18 PM
I think no matter what, selling any car will net more gains than trade in value. I'd say sell it privately unless a dealership gives you a sweet deal.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:27 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
the honda fit holds its resale value better than any car in its class but dont expect to get what you want for it from a stealership.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
the honda fit holds its resale value better than any car in its class but dont expect to get what you want for it from a stealership.
I hear ya there. I'm not dead set on getting something else so I'm not sweating it!

Old 06-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by davela72
I've been thinking about getting another car recently which would involve trading the Fit in. For those of you that might have done or considered doing this, how are the Fit's holding their value? I don't want to lose my ass trading the car in.
Why? Why would you consider getting another car? Have your needs substantially changed?

Old 06-03-2009, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

One of the reasons I got the Fit was to anticipate my needs of the future.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:18 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by reako
One of the reasons I got the Fit was to anticipate my needs of the future.
Good for you, Reako!!! Very smart!

If you anticipate realistically, you don't have to trade-in later. And the bonus with the FIT is that it fits so many life applications.

In the future, if you absolutely had to get something else because of work, you get it in addition to the FIT, like a truck for hauling or towing something. Or a motorcycle for pleasure or to use it for super gas saving commuting. But you'll always have a good, dependable, reliable, fun, sporty car that's easy on the eyes and easy on the bank account for gas.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:16 AM
I to have been thinking about tradeding in the fit. For many reasons. I got offered before negoations on a 09 base w/5200 for 13.5K.

Not to bad but I think that I could get better, depending on wwhat I would actually buy

Old 06-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Banned
What I usually do..

I know you probably know this but just in case...
New Cars, Used Cars, Blue Book Prices & Car Values - Official Kelley Blue Book Site
New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com

Your best defense is a good offense, meaning go in prepared, armed to the teeth if you will.
I like the idea and have thought of it myself, find out your payoff add down payment for next vehicle and list your car in the trades.
Everyone wants a GOOD used car and consumer reports still gives big kudos to the Fit.
Biggest tip of all always put back to Stock as much as possible before showing car, including removing jewelry and stickers, I'd even take out floor mats unless they are HFP.
I have had good luck with this routine myself.
Wish you good luck, but unless you are getting an 09 or better Fit you are giving up a great car.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:53 PM
ill will be trading in both my fit sports in a few months...if the dealer wont give me kelly blue book on it ill tell him im getting my new cars elsewhere
dealerships are hurting for money....work them for all their worth....basicly have a spine

Old 06-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
davela- oh no~ i didnt see this tread until now. you're selling your Fit?

anyway, before trading in, consider selling it to CarMax if you have one local. they will give you a pretty fair price. they wont rape you like most dealerships do..but consider the tax reduction benefits when you do trade in though. you only get charged for tax for the amount you owe minus your trade in.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by davela72

Check the wholesale value of your Fit in Kelley and NADA on line. Wholesale is the value to the dealer; remembver he has to resell it at a profit, i.e. the retail price or close to it.
Oh, and be honest about the Fit's condition and reduction for mileage.

And the more gas guzzler you look to buy the better your trade-in will be.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:23 PM
No more Fit =

I'm too attached to mine I guess. I just want to get it paid for. But I still want to keep my Fit even if I decide I want something else later. I wouldn't mind having a MiniCooper, but Fit stays. I'm trying to get my BF to get a Mini that way I can drive his and still have my Fit. = ]

Last edited by Firefly; 06-03-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:56 PM
ive thought about just going back to no car payment and getting another crx, but now that the kid is on the way i am just going to do what it takes to keep it!

Old 06-08-2009, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm i traded mine in and got more for it than i bought it new. But i traded it for a $40k car but i did not pay that much. I traded her for a CR. So it depends on what u are trading for some car dealerships will give u more if ur going for a car thats hard to move right now. Like a evo 10 say they are now going for $25k new thats the 08s though. But still that is silly cheap and u can get CRs now for $30k and under sports cars are going for cheaper and cheaper now. But if i were u keep the fit till most of it is payed off than get the real car u want as a weekend fun car. Whished i did that with my fit. Now in a couple of years i hope to pick up a used truck or fit as a DD and leave the CR for fun