General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Carbon Fiber Hood - Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Edison Carasio
Just have Ikona wrap your hood in carbon fiber. You get the CF look, dad gets the "safety", and Ikona gets money. win/win/win situation.
+1 (10char)

Old 05-27-2009, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
You can have a hood just wrapped in c/f wont it change the size?

This is a possibility except it wouldn't be Ikona it'd have to be local as I don't want to drive around with no hood. I was thinking today of having the hood wrapped in gloss black vinyl and having the roof done another time. Would this be a nice look as apposed to c/f? I want to stick with a red/black theme.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:19 PM
They are giving you a hard time my friend. You and your Dad with the modding of the Fit, Oy Vey! I am so glad the only person I have to answer to is my wife! Oh no wait a minute maybe GLAD isn't the word I was looking for there....LOL JFWY man. The carbon hood should not affect the safety of your car in a crash for reasons stated well by others in this thread. That being said, there are no absolutes in life, take from that what you will. I wouldn't vinyl wrap the hood and roof, that would be a little too ghetto ( and for me to say that means a lot) Save your pennies and get the roof painted black to match a carbon hood instead. And if Pops won't let you, start slipping a little arsenic into his morning coffee (no not really)

Old 05-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by trancedsailor
dude...why are you worried about crash tests? Did your dad or somebody tell you not to get a CF hood? lol a hood isn't going to stop you from getting hurt. It's all your front bumper support really. The Fit has plenty of airbags to protect you.

how old r you? mami n daddy tellin u whats right n wrong still?
thats why cars come with bumper support n airbags..

Old 05-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Ciggy
Well it's not the vendor but that is a genuine SEIBON hood and I have seen them used on many many cars. I just need prove that they are safe and googling has done nothing!

Please help!
just tell them what they wanna hear and call it a day
lol.. if you thinkk about it.. NOTHING IS SAFE ON A CAR
cuz whichever way your in a car accident it depends where they hit u
and how hard.. you could easily be driving and someone come at you from the side (or anywhere) without u seeing them and could completely hurt you or kill you or do absolutely nothing.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
They are giving you a hard time my friend. You and your Dad with the modding of the Fit, Oy Vey! I am so glad the only person I have to answer to is my wife! Oh no wait a minute maybe GLAD isn't the word I was looking for there....LOL JFWY man. The carbon hood should not affect the safety of your car in a crash for reasons stated well by others in this thread. That being said, there are no absolutes in life, take from that what you will. I wouldn't vinyl wrap the hood and roof, that would be a little too ghetto ( and for me to say that means a lot) Save your pennies and get the roof painted black to match a carbon hood instead. And if Pops won't let you, start slipping a little arsenic into his morning coffee (no not really)
I have seen many fits on here wrap there roof in black vinyl.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by itFITz
how old r you? mami n daddy tellin u whats right n wrong still?
thats why cars come with bumper support n airbags..
I'm 17 and the reason they have a say in what I can and can't do is because the car is there's until I graduate school (3 years)

Old 05-27-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm 17 and the reason they have a say in what I can and can't do is because the car is there's until I graduate school (3 years)
damn that sucks.. i wish my parents would get me a car.
but yeah tell them what they wanna hear.. just sound convincing.
seibon is good trust me i know a lot of people that has had
cf entire fronts... literally from front bumper to doors.. (yes bumper, fenders, mirrors, doors) and they haven't been disappointed unlike alot of other knoxx off brands.. safety isn't the issue to be honest cuz being in a car anything can happen ..CF is really just for the weight. there still strong tho..

Old 05-27-2009, 04:38 PM
I think the vinyl looks cheap when you get up close, from a distance it looks just as good as paint, but when you get closer... Vinyl also can't be polished to a shine the way paint can. This is only my opinion of course. The other problem with wrapping the hood is that when the wrap gets nicks in it (and it will) the red paint underneath will show through like a bad Earl Schieb paint job G H E T T O. It is (mostly) your car though, do what makes you happy.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
I plan to save up for a c/f hood but as for getting my roof painted I wont be doing that I will be getting it wrapped. The hood will be put off for a few weeks though as I have a spoiler sitting in my room that needs to be painted and mounted.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:43 PM
I plan to save up for a c/f hood but as for getting my roof painted I wont be doing that I will be getting it wrapped. The hood will be put off for a few weeks though as I have a spoiler sitting in my room that needs to be painted and mounted.
what kinda spoiler?

Old 05-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Do yourself a favor and ask around at the body shops in your area how much they would charge you to paint the roof and the spoiler. You may be surprised by what you find out. It won't be as cheap as vinyl to be sure, but still surprising. And failing that, drive on down 81 to WV and I'll paint your roof for ya! I haven't used my HVLP set-up in a few months and I need the practice for painting my Caddy this summer.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by itFITz
what kinda spoiler?
Mugen replica

But I have to buy the mugen tailgate cover first before I get it painted because I will need to paint that as well. Ordering one next friday.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
genuine SEIBON hood
I dont' know why I didn't catch that earlier.

I just want to say that I find it interesting that you use GENUINE to describe SEIBON, when most of their stuff is replica (i think it all is?). Granted they make some cool stuff, but genuine shouldn't be the correct term. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like some of the stuff they have... Just trying to educate that's all.

As far as Seibon quality goes, I've seen clear coat/resin issues, fitment problems etc. At the same time I've seen some of their stuff fit pretty good. Guess it's hit or miss?

Old 05-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Your stock hood will absorb more energy as it helps to slow the impact (even if its a small amount). A carbon fiber hood will shatter into a bunch of pieces and most likely wont crumble/bend/break in the same places as the stock one unless it was designed for the crash worthiness purpose.

My opinion if you are using the car as a daily driver stay with the stock hood. If you are racing the car and gonna build it up (i hate to tell you this but you started off with the wrong car in the first place) to the point you are worried about an impact then you should invest the money in a good helmet/HANS device, good seat with 5 point harness before you get concerned with the few pounds you are gonna save with a BF hood. Other than that you are wasting your money.

Last edited by FitPilot; 05-30-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Post pics, I want to see it. I have an MR Fit also.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
cf ftw...its all on you man...

Old 06-05-2009, 02:59 PM
ive never had saftey issuse with mine. but ive never been in a collision either! its not that big of a deal to worrie about

Old 06-06-2009, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
Hey Dude,
No matter how old you get, your parents' advice will always be valuable. They are the only people who, every single time, will advise you with your own best interest at heart.
I wish I had my Dad's advice sometimes even now, 25 years after he died.