General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Getting to Know Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Getting to Know Fit

I just got my 2007 yesterday. I drove a Suburu Legacy 2.5. The Fit seems like fun and better on the highway than I thought. The ride on a windy, sometimes slightly hilly road seems a little "uneven". You think I'll become accustomed to it?

Old 05-12-2009, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
just put a rear sway bar, drop the car, and put wider wheels.

it helped stabilize my car on the freeway.

make sure you get an alignment as well.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Define uneven. Do you mean bumpy, jouncy or do you mean wandering, skittish? Either way, yes you will get used to it. LOL Or do what CF recommends^^ That will work nicely also....

Old 05-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, i had a 06 legacywagon up until last december. i hated that car so much. problems after problems.

the 09 FitSport replaced it and im soooooo glad i did. the legacy is cramped inside.
where as the FitS is very roomy.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Cool Not bumpy or jouncy

No, definitely not bumpy. It does surprisingly well over bumps. Not jouncy even, although I had to look that word up. I guess overall, it seems so quick and seems like it is impatient. This is not always good for a windy road where you have to take it easy at certain places. And it seems to shift a lot, like if the road conditions only allow you to go 30 (or the speed limit) it seems like it wants to change gears and is not happy. My mechanic who checked it said "when you first step on the gas it goes all over the place". I don't agree with that but when they say it is a fun car, they are not kidding. I'm not having buyer's remorse. I couldn't turn down the deal. It seems that Toyota dealers are told to "get rid" of non-Toyotas as soon as possible so they marked it low. Why they took it in in the first place, I don't know.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:35 AM
5 Year Member
Uneven?

The Fit doesn't have a sophisticated rear suspension (it's just a simple dead beam axle with coil springs and shocks) so ride quality and refinement aren't really up to snuff with more expensive cars.

You do get used to it though. That same beam axle is the reason why the Fit is so spacious at the back.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Well I can tell you that the nervous feeling going down the road is most likely a by-product of your previous car being the Subie. My wife drives an 04 Forester (which she loves and I don't really fit in) and the steering feel relative to my Fit is very lethargic, like a boat almost. I chalk it up to the Foresters tall tires and off-road suspension tune. The Subie also has more slack on center than the Fit. My Fit is lowered with shorter sidewall tires than stock and let me tell you when i move the wheel the car changes direction right damn now! If my last car hadn't been a Mazda it would have put me off a little. You will learn to move the wheel more gently and appreciate it as one of the things that make the car so much fun to drive. Welcome to the site BTW!