General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

GI: Unbody Diffuser to help gain MPG

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Question GI: Unbody Diffuser to help gain MPG

Doh There is an obvious typo in this thread title. Quite embarrasin .

Hello Everyone. First off I want to say that this seems like a very helpful community from what I have browsed so far. Hopefully I can aid in being helpful as well.

I am the owner of Fluid Motorsports.com (.net is someone else) (Unfortunately I do not have any Fit parts listed on my site as of yet) and I mostly cater to the MR2/VW/RX8/Subaru community. I am currently in the process of making front underbody diffuser panels for the MR2 Spyder. However in order for me to buy enough plastic sheets to get the cost at a highly desirable pricepoint, I need to make at least 20 panels. I figured I would try out this forum as well since the Fits are already known for good mpg.

To give you an idea of what I am reffering to please see this this link and pic:
Browser Warning

The rear diffuser smooths out the air from underneath and provides a smoother exit. As a bonus it also help to add downforce since the air underneath the car is moving at a much more rapid rate than the air on top. A lower car will get better mpg as its having to fight less air.

I myself have a metal skidplate (which doubles as a diffuser as well) in my 250hp AWD Golf R32 and I can now see 30+mpg on the highway on a daily basis. Keep in mind this car is heavy and shaped like a brick. 33mpg was attained in below 32 degree weather! (cold weather is not good for seeing high mppg figures)

So as you can see an underbody diffuser would help greatly. I do not have a Fit of my own to work on but I do have a friend that has already told me I can make molds with her car. Due to shipping, the panels would come in two halves with a bent joint on each end to make attachment a cake job.

Before possibly becoming a vendor on this forum, I would like to know if there is interest for this. I dont necessarily need 20 people here but on both forums I need a total of 20 people. Price is not set but would be somewhere between 120-140 shipped. All neccesary hardware would be included. I havent decided if 3m tape will do or if screws will be necessary.

If I can get enough interest I will order a batch of sheets and begin making panels to provide pictures. Please let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by Fluid Motorsports; 05-07-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
My feeling is you will probably have enough interest here for 10, and people are going to want this thing screwed in.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:21 PM
i love college
id be down if you made a rear diffuser

Old 05-08-2009, 09:47 AM
What about a front under tray as well? I would be interested in both. The back of the Fit needs a lot of help and the front could use some too.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:56 AM
The next time I get a chance I will take a look underneath my friends Fit and see how things can be smoothed underneath. I will definitely see what I can do about the rear. I just have to get dimensions first to see what I am working with. I just need to see that there is enough interest to be able to make these.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:05 PM
i love college
Originally Posted by Fluid Motorsports
The next time I get a chance I will take a look underneath my friends Fit and see how things can be smoothed underneath. I will definitely see what I can do about the rear. I just have to get dimensions first to see what I am working with. I just need to see that there is enough interest to be able to make these.
i've been waiting for someone to make a rear diffuser. whether its you, ikona, whoever. i want one for racing and mpgs.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
i would be interested for the front and the back...

Old 05-10-2009, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member
I'd be interested in a front and rear as well as long as the price wasn't way out there.
The front on the 09 is actually pretty smooth IMO, mainly needs the center section covered like a Beatrush Front Panel would do.
Id even consider a center panel.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry, post not relevant.

Last edited by Buzzbomb; 05-11-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:19 PM
my underbody looks odd...

Does anyone have pics of the underbody of a 2007 Fit DX (AT)? I know nothing about cars so I find that the underbody of my car looks so weird... there's stuff hanging down all over the place, particularly at the back. I looked under my mom's 2005 Civic and it looks far cleaner/neater. I just want to make sure that mines is normal and not broken... so, if someone has pics, please post! Cheers!

Old 05-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Chrysi
Does anyone have pics of the underbody of a 2007 Fit DX (AT)? I know nothing about cars so I find that the underbody of my car looks so weird... there's stuff hanging down all over the place, particularly at the back. I looked under my mom's 2005 Civic and it looks far cleaner/neater. I just want to make sure that mines is normal and not broken... so, if someone has pics, please post! Cheers!
Funny that you ask actually since today I took some pictures of the underbody of my friends Honda Fit to some testing. Hers is a 2007 AT. I have great news! I will not have to make any new additional holes in the bumper but I am going to use the existing holes in the plastic undertray that already exists. I'll post more on some of my ideas on how this undertray will be designed. It should come out pretty well with how things are already setup on this car.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:23 PM
thank you Fluid Motorsports!

your pics were EXACTLY what i was hoping for! just perfect! thank you SO SO SO much for posting them! it turns out, that my underbody is normal cause it looks pretty similar to the pics... i guess the Fit just threw me off at first cause i'm so used to my mom's Civic... again, thank you for posting the pics!

Old 05-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Talking Very interested..

I already have my BeatRush front panel and that made a world of difference to me in the handling department and a slightly better MPG.

I am very interested in a rear underpanel that would help smooth out the airflow while maybe increasing MPG.

As long as the price is fair and it goes on as easy as my BeatRush panel did, I am ready for one.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blue-civic-hybrid
i already have my beatrush front panel and that made a world of difference to me in the handling department and a slightly better mpg.

I am very interested in a rear underpanel that would help smooth out the airflow while maybe increasing mpg.

As long as the price is fair and it goes on as easy as my beatrush panel did, i am ready for one.
+1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-18-2009, 12:17 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Beatrush underpanel already mentioned is a real boon to the Fit's stability at speed and improves mpgs as well. Here's a link to my post with pics:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post479897

You may want to read more posts in that thread, it's got a lot of good information.

I am VERY interested in a rear diffuser that will smooth out airflow and reduce the 'parachute effect' of the rear bumper.

One problem with Fits may be that the two trim levels have very different rear finishes, the Sport model having a rear lip at the bottom edge of the bumper. If that turns out to be the case, I would like to cast one vote for you starting with the Sport model.

The other thing about the back end is the jacking point bolted onto the bottom of the car. I'm not sure I'd want the whole back end to be as low as that! There is a Noblesse rear diffuser that mates up to the JDM Noblesse rear bumper; I'm 99% certain that the jacking point needs to be removed to install that piece.

Last edited by wdb; 05-18-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:22 AM
Talking Sport Model FTW!

I second that vote for making a rear diffuser for the Sport model first!!

Old 05-18-2009, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
TAGGED .. just one more thing i won't be able to live without, once this thing comes available. i'm in for a rear for sure

Old 05-18-2009, 12:51 PM
If I were to come up with a rear diffuser, how many people would seriously be interested?

Old 05-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
If I were to come up with a rear diffuser, how many people would seriously be interested?
Id be down for front and rear

Old 05-18-2009, 07:22 PM
For me it's gonna depend . . . I have no interest in a big GT style nobless-esque racer boy diffuser that's going to take over the entire rear view of my car . . .

But a simple well fitting undertray that joins flush to the rear sport lip, absolutely. Something to complement the Beatrush front underpanel (which you can't even tell is there without getting on your hands and knees & peering under the car).

Quick Reply: GI: Unbody Diffuser to help gain MPG