General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

GI: Unbody Diffuser to help gain MPG

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Thumbs up very interested..

Originally Posted by Fluid Motorsports
If I were to come up with a rear diffuser, how many people would seriously be interested?

I would be very interested as long as the build quality, price, and how easily it attaches to the rear lip are acceptable. Cosmetics for me would come second, but I don't want a crappy piece of metal or plastic hanging off the back end of my Fit.

Basically if you can make the rear diffuser look as good as my BeatRush front panel and keep the price in the same ball park, you would have a customer here.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:33 AM
5 Year Member
If you can produce a functional, attractive, quality product, I am ready for it. Front and rear. I forgot to mention that it has to be durable or it is useless to me.... A trip to the mailbox and back is 1.2 miles of non existing road and the front lip on my car is beat to hell. The rear end has no clearance problems with the stock ride height.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:05 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Bump for even more interest than I had before. I spent the better part of my day yesterday crawling around under my car (installed T1R header and b-pipe), and while I was under there I spent some time considering what a rear diffuser might look like. I have to tell you, the Fit is RIPE for a diffuser and would quite probably benefit immensely from its addition, both in terms of handling/stability and fuel economy.

I'd build mine like a funnel: start just behind the fuel tank cover, make it wide enought to pass the rear axle area without interfering with anything, then expand it out after passing the rear axle right to the edges of the bumper. Take the jacking point off and do a proper job of it. Maybe do some kind of aero replacement piece as an option.

I'm really stoked about this idea! I might just go get some Coroplast and get to it myself.

Last edited by wdb; 05-28-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Question

Any updates or anything for this rear diffuser?

WDB, I was looking into doing some of the Coroplast stuff myself and creating my own rear diffuser. I don't know if I will need to use the thermal resistant stuff, what do you think?

Old 06-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Question what happened??

Another dead idea? what happened here?

Old 07-08-2009, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, seriously. I've been lurking on this thread since it opened.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
....... Me too.....

Old 07-08-2009, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
i emailed (NOT PM'd) them today in hopes THEY'LL GET THIS GOING AGAIN

Old 07-08-2009, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
If only.......

If only something like this was available.....at a decent price,

ooops

there I went with the deal breaker

Old 07-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Mugen made one for the JDM fit...

Old 07-08-2009, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Happens
Mugen made one for the JDM fit...

anyone have a price and availability on this? i know i'd have to modify it to work on a USDM fit but i'm down !

Old 07-08-2009, 05:20 PM
See that's the thing... I don't think it was produced for sale due to it's use for their Fit Dynamite concept... I really would want something like that for my Fit!!

Old 07-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Unhappy Bummer...

Well, I guess this really is a dead issue. The Mugen undertray looks fabulous but along with the price probably puts it out of the hands of 95% people who just want it for daily driving use.

Come on, there has to be some handy fabricators out there willing to fab one of these up! It doesn't have to fancy, just be of good build quality like the BeatRush/Laile front underpanel!

Old 08-09-2009, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
jeez good find with the mugen undertray! if anyone has higher res photos or perhaps undertray photos of the concept it was used on it would be greatly appreciated if you could post it.

I'll probably put the fit up on the ramps and a few weeks and cut out some templates just to evaluate the feasibility. Its been a while since I've produced something of that size (use to make cf/kevlar boat hulls), but if I can sub divide it properly and get the molds down to managible/storable sizes, I might just make a set.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:03 AM
Talking Go for it!!

I salute you sir if you can actually do this! I would recommend you start a new thread and if it turns out alright, be prepared to make more!

And now the waiting begins...

Old 08-10-2009, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
well I have another project car in the garage right now. Its not even on the radar as a project until this space free's up. I need the fabrication space, but the storage really isn't an issue. I've made some rough templates for my other car but its a tricky one and I have a few things still yet to go in/be replaced before I can finalize things. I've never made an undertray before but I always fab up at least one practice attempt before anything goes on this car so the fit is a likely candidate for this (and its small size is a huge bonus).

I'll definitely start my own thread for that, but do not hold your breath for anything publically available... this will be most certainly cost prohibitive for production (just material costs alone, and rather labor intensive on my part... just not worth it). But I'm a strong believer in freedom of information and will be posting the whole speil, the theoretical, the assesment, ground work templates, more theory, how to make a key, turning that into a mold, filling the mold, fitment, etc.

But this is not my thread and do not intend to hijack it. I'm hoping as much as anyone that the OP returns with news he has something awesome for us and that I can just give someone a credit card number and get that 80% without blowing all that money and 500 hours of my life.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:11 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Hijack away, the original poster appears to be done with the thread anyway. :-/

If and when you get around to the Fit, please start with the rear diffuser! The rest of the underside is relatively flat and the combination of the parachute rear bumper and large vertical rear end is just begging for some aero improvement. Plus the market for a rear diffuser will be larger than any other underside piece due to the aesthetic enhancement.

My own "if I ever get a round tuit" plans for a rear diffuser are a bit less ambitious, involving coroplast and pop rivets. Your piece sounds like it would be more, errr, substantial. I'd be interested in hearing a price, even if it you think it may be prohibitive.

Last edited by wdb; 08-10-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
huh, would've never considered coroplast. thats actually a really good idea (provided you make a handful of them and replace them yearly/bi-yearly). That also addresses my main concern of the paneling getting loose and running over shrapnel. The other is pooling of water and other debry. coroplast definitely seems the way to go to sort these details out before investing time in a mold.

I guess you'd need to start a list of areas needed for access for maintenance. That Mugan would be awesome until you realize you can no longer change your oil. or that there is not enough venting for the exhaust heat and you set the sound proofing on fire (or more likely just make the cabin unbearably hot)