General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Does anybody know this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
Even if you changed lanes he probably would have pulled you over for some other reason. Like not signaling long enough prior to changing lanes. I got a ticket in 'light' traffic for following to close. When I went to court to ask for a lowered fine the judge actually said 'tailgating' you actually got a ticket for tailgating, that's rare.

I almost said well I was tailgating in a lowered truck while being a teenager, but I figured that wouldn't help my cause.

Ticket quotas people, they might not be 'official,' but they still have them.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by srene
also from what I recall, since you are an out of state person, you just pay the fine. No points are deducted from you. Hence why he chose to pick on you? Correct me if I am wrong anyone.

Rene
If no points will be deducted then I am glad to pay the fine. I am more concerned about leaving points on my record (currently no points) than financial loss. If I go to Virginia to argue my case, I may end up paying a lot more plus travel fees, overnight motel fees (since it's 7-8 hr away from my home).

If however points will be added and I think it maybe worth the risk to go there and ask for a reduced sentence or something. I heard that one can take a driver's ed course to reduce points or sentences or something. Does anyone know about that? Is it true in Virgina?

Old 05-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Honestly if a cop wants to pull you over, they will find a reason.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
I am seriously thinking about replacing my vanity plate w/ a "normal" plate. it just attracts too much attention.

I just did some research and Georgia will access points for out of state violations. it maybe worth going to Virginia just to see if I can get the charge reduced. Does anyone know if Virginia has some way to allow bargaining the ticket down to a non-moving violation of some sort?

Thanks to all of you who responded. This community is wonderful!

Old 05-01-2009, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
the dropping it to a non moving violation will be dealt with by the prosecutor... honestly its a weak case for them if u meet with him b4 court, and be firm with him or her i would not be surprised if u got it dropped say some thing like you are outraged that the police there target out of state drives and you are seriously considering never going to virginia again, the theory is you wont spend money in that sate so they will loose income (tax revenue). it has been known to work and most state cops are leaner on out of state drivers so they don't scare tourist away, the LAST thing any state wants is a rep. that they target out of state drivers, which VA does have that rep. hope this info helps, and pardon my language but don't be afraid to be a bitch or asshole if you do fight it....

Old 05-01-2009, 04:34 PM
The two words you might be looking for are revenue and generation. VA, like many states is running a little short on money these days and they can, and do, resort to ticketing out-of-staters for niggling offenses because they figure you'll just cough up the dough instead of fighting what is a legally questionable ticket. I would suggest going to court on principle. Tell the judge what you have told us, that you would be more than happy to pay the fine; however, you were unaware of the law and never intended to endanger the officer. I would specifically mention that his lights were not on when you passed him. I would be interested to know what he ws doing on the side of the road. Do you recall whether or not he was in uniform, and if so was he wearing his hat? In VA a state trooper is not in uniform if he isn't wearing his Stetson and the ticket is invalid for that reason. State employees are also not allowed to use their cell phones while driving (personal phone or business) so if he was on the shoulder making a phone call you have him there as well. I'm not suggesting you attack the guy, but these are things that can help you in court should you choose to fight it out. Hope that helps!

Old 05-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Surviver of the Fittest
talking about Fit being unusual - not only do i have an orange Fit, but also a funny prestige license plate (from out of state).

I did some research and the bad news is Georgia also adopted the law in recent years, but New York has no such law yet. It's definitely not yet 50-state law like this cop said, but close. Also, he told me that my license plate didn't exist in the record and asked me for a registration card which didn't exist in GA (All we were given was a sticker on the license plate and a receipt which I gave to my accountant for tax purposes). Finally I had to give him my insurance paper so he could verify that my unusual license plate was real. I have never met a cop who gave me so much trouble for nothing.
What is your vanity plate?

Cat :x

Old 05-01-2009, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
Actually I am not sure if his light was on before I passed him. There's a 50% chance that it's not but I simply don't remember - I didn't pay too much attention to this guy because i wasn't speeding and i was driving very smoothly and steadily and I just couldn't imagine that i would be breaking some kind of law. I am never a reckless driver and never will be(never a speeding ticket). I would be happy to pay the fine, and I am not betting on having the ticket entirely dismissed. I only wish that the charge be reduced enough that my home state wouldn't access many points on it. Actually I think GA's "move-over law" calls for more severe punishments so it's probably not the worst thing in the world that can happen to me.

This is a good lesson for all of us who spend a lot of time on the road - always stay as far away from the cop as possible!!! even if you think you are perfectly legal and perfectly fine. you just never know. maybe a new law will be enacted from now on in somewhere and ignorance of the law is never a defense in the court of law.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by niko3257
here in FL they say change lanes or reduce speed by at least 20 mph
same here in tennessee.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:26 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Seems like common courtesy to move to another lane, while it may seem trivial lots of emergency personnel are injured or killed every year due to car strikes.

With that said if you are in heavy traffic I think just easing off the gas should be fine if you can't change lanes.

I think in your case a warning would have sufficed (providing you didn't graze him on the way by).