General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Once you go hatch, you can't go back.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Jonniedee
Your Jazz moped might "fit"

Moped? It's a scooter!!!!!!

Old 04-19-2006, 03:41 PM
1- ĢI don't consider SUVs to be hatchbacks. Yes, they do have a hatch...but to me a hatchback is a CAR. SUVs are TRUCKS. A panel van has a hatch (door) and a lot of cargo space. Doesn't make it a hatchback.ģ

2- ĢWe've been told by the auto makers for years that Americans don't buy hatchbacks. How are we supposed to, when for years the flippin' manufacturers didn't OFFER enough of them? Circular logic.ģ

3- ĢWhat I'm trying to say about Americans is that many of them in the major metropolitan area I live in have a "bigger is better" mentality, and it shows with the size of average car you see on the road compared to what I've seen in other countries.ģ

All valid points. SUV's are truck-based hatchbacks. The RSX is a hatchback as well, but others might see the lines of a coupé instead.
To them, 5 doors in and of themselves do not constitute a hatchback. If the vehicle is based on a truck chassis and has relatively upright lines, then it's a truck.

Americans love their trucks. And this has been ever since the pioneers took off West in their oxen-driven wagons. These could easily haul everything you owned but the kitchen sink (ha ha!) over uneven terrain. You can draw parallels to modern-day SUV's, should you be so inclined.

Remember the Carpetbaggers? Trucks as well. The land of milk & honey is all about Big Sky Country. A long strait causes one to lose the sensation of speed. Therefore, most people are content to slow down. Your nearest neighbour could also be quite a way's off. No rush there either. Furthermore, the heartland's topography is quite different from that found in (often) mountainous and densly-populated Europe and Japan.

Why would anyone, given these circumstances, want to constrain themselves within the confines of a Cinquecento, an Austin-whatever or any other small (re: rest-of-the-world-with-a-different-reality) vehicle?

Don't forget that almost everything in the U.S. has always been plentiful (including gas) and ripe for the takin'. This can breed complaicency as well as selfishness. Wrap this up in a guilt-free (safe as houses) and empowering (it's your choice!) packaging (courtesy the Media/Marketing monsters of today) and you have yourself the perfect product: an SUV.

It's still a hatch. I choose to drive something more efficient.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:45 PM
North American's in-general have turned their nose up at a term called station wagons. Remember those domestic land yatchs with the woody sides that peeled off. The Big Three had their own versions.

So when the Japanese decided to refreshen the look of a new era and gave N.A. the Matrix, Protege 5 and make it cool and mainstream, attitudes slowly changed.

Oh yeah! SUV's are just the desire for a pick-up truck with box incorporated into the design for those that wanted ruggedness in look, higher seating postion with hatchback utility....Just some ramblings so don't get worked up anyone.

We are now entering the cross-over era.

I've had Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon
Nissan Micra '83
Protege 5 2002
HOnda Accord Hatch in the 80's

Old 04-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
The CR-V is based on the Civic platform, far from having truck DNA.

Old 04-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by b17gsr
The CR-V is based on the Civic platform, far from having truck DNA.
You must dot all your i's.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
My cars so far:
1980 Subaru Station Wagon - Hatch
1988 Mazda 323 - Hatch
1995 Toyota Corolla sedan - No Hatch - ARRRGH!

2007 Honda Fit - HATCH! - Soon

After having the utility and versatility of a hatch and then not, I will really appreciate getting one back. Just the ability to haul stuff again without running home for the minivan will be great. I've been waiting for a quality hatch to come along (Fit!) to sell the Corolla.

IMHO, the US hasn't been offered a truly practical/fun/quality hatchbacks since the early 90s, until the arrival of the FIT.

I agree that with the downfall of the wagon in the US, many people went to SUVs to be able to haul stuff around, especially those that didn't want to be seen in the ubiquitous minivan (says the minivan owner).

Last edited by HaulSmall; 04-19-2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:31 PM
I like hatches, but love station wagons. All the benefits of the hatch but in greater abundance.

Bring on the Airwave.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dougiepants
Well back in 2000 I have my 1994 White Civic VX and I was the 28 person to purchase these for my 1996 JDM Spec ITR Motor....

Just wait till I get my hands on the Fit...
Nice! More pics please...

Old 04-19-2006, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dougiepants
Well back in 2000 I have my 1994 White Civic VX and I was the 28 person to purchase these for my 1996 JDM Spec ITR Motor....

Just wait till I get my hands on the Fit...
That is sweet. I always wanted to do a K20 EH2.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
yeah I was going to do our K24 build in a EH2, but decided I would go for the Fit and see if the R18 or K20 fits in it