General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

A CIVIC would take me out!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:47 AM
A CIVIC would take me out!

I just washed the report on Foxnews. I know the Fit is small. I know the Fit would not do well up against a huge SUV, but they tested it against a CIVIC at 40mpg head on and I would be toast! A CIVIC!?!?!?!

I should have not watched that. I regret getting my Fit now and that in itself disappoints me.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
If you keep worrying about it, it will drive you crazy. Just be as safe as possible on the road. If your worried about that much then trade it in or sell the car for something else.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm a very safe driver, but it's the other yahoos I am concerned about.

I love my fit because it's a super little car - looks, mileage, etc... This report just caused me concern, that's all.

Even if i wanted to trade it in for something with a better safety reputation, I could not - can't afford to do that now and my husband would pull his hair out at my even mentioning it. LOL!

I just like hearing what others think about this issue.

Again, I expected more out of the Fit with regards to a crash test against a car like the Civic. I tote around two kids, you know.

I did take this all into consideration when I bought the car. I traded in a 4Runner (mpg was terrible, gas prices through the roof). I read that for its class, the Fit had a great safety rating.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
4 star EURO NCAP if Im not mistaken

Old 04-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
buy a hummer.

feel safe.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm not that wealthy.
I'll just make due, thanks.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by gynosis
4 star EURO NCAP if Im not mistaken
That's good if you live in Europe where all cars are about the size of the Fit, correct?

None the less, I keep going back to how awful the Fit did up against a Civic. Totally surprised by that one.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by FitMom
I'm not that wealthy.
I'll just make due, thanks.
then steal a hummer.
FREE!

Old 04-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Kyle is raaddd
then steal a hummer.
FREE!
Then I'm in prison.
STUPID!

Old 04-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
break out of prison
then you're FREE

and i'd still be... JOKING!

Old 04-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Why is everyone over reacting about some shit the main stream media put out? All this means is not enough troops are dying to fill air space on the big news outlets so they need some other sensationalist bull shit to fill the void.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
No such thing as 100% safe. You can buy an armored car and it won't make a difference if you are crossing the street and some guy in a bus mows you down because they were picking their nose.

Lesson here is go with the flow and don't worry too much. That just turns your hair gray and raises your blood pressure.

2 cents.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by airborne200208
Why is everyone over reacting about some shit the main stream media put out? All this means is not enough troops are dying to fill air space on the big news outlets so they need some other sensationalist bull shit to fill the void.
QFT.
i've seen like 4 threads about this already

Old 04-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Oh, it was an Accord, not a Civic. Whatever.

Also, the car they used in the test crash again the Smart car was Mercedes Benz. Those are tanks anyway. I don't think much else would do very well against that vehicle.

Hey, Kyle, I know you're joking. I am too.

Thanks, FITrunner I have no other choice but to do just that.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
alright, good.
just making sure

Old 04-14-2009, 12:31 PM
i love college
haha there are too many threads about this.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:55 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Yeah way too many threads - I posted it first thing this morning around 7:10 AM before going out the door. Several of my friends have told me today they heard on the news that my car is not safe. I just laugh and say do the math and you know that the Fit is not going to win a head on crash with a large car or SVU. It will not make me sell my Fit nor will it make me drive it any differently - I am a safe driver anyway. If it is your time nothing is going to save you so why sweat it. It isn't rocket science we bought a micro - it is small. My car guys always tell me Cat your car is so freakin small but then I have more money in my purse because I gas it up for under $20.00 every two weeks!

Cat :x

Old 04-14-2009, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitMom
That's good if you live in Europe where all cars are about the size of the Fit, correct?
Not necessarily. True there are a lot of superminis in the UK at least, but there are more Civic-sized and Accord-sized cars there than you would think. VW and Ford make a killing there with their Golfs and Focuses.

EuroNCAP is actually a pretty good indicator of how crashworthy a car is, because most if not all European countries don't require cars to fit longer bumpers like the US does. It's also a much more multi-faceted test: child occupant protection and pedestrian protection are part of the judging criteria.

That said, don't worry too much about it...my GD1 Jazz got rear-ended by a bus last June. Impact was pretty heavy. Last I checked, I'm still breathing, and I walked away with nothing but whiplash and a tongue-lashing to the stupid driver who literally had his vehicle hump my car.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:32 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
ok let me clear something up.... Its not that the car is not safe... Cars these days, Hondas in particular have whats called a ACE bosy structure which will allow certain points of the frame to crumple easier in order to absorb the impact from the collision. This is why cars these days look so bad in even small collisions.... The Civic and the Fit have, for the most part, the same crash test ratings.

The car is as safe as a civic. The media has a way of controlling the people to think what they want them to think.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Fit crash test

In my opinion the fact that the Fit has a shit ton of airbags and the ACE body structure is enough to make me feel safe. Right now, my 87 Civic has seatbelts...no airbags. The 2000 Civic has driver and passenger airbags...makes me feel safer. So when I finally buy my Fit, I will be thrilled to have all the safety features it offers. Remember that every accident is different...there are circumstances that you can't control no matter what you do/drive. I've heard people talk about not wearing seat belts cuz they knew someone that walked away from a horrible accident purely because they weren't wearing their seat belt. Sounds pretty stupid to me. Just my thoughts on it....

Quick Reply: A CIVIC would take me out!