General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each color?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member

So I was driving yesterday on my way to work in downtown Cleveland, completely content that a Storm Silver sport would be arriving next Thursday for me to own.

The sun is shining (rare in Cleveland), the spring smell is in the air, The White Stripes are blasting in my system, and IT HITS ME- I really want Milano Red instead.

I call the Dealer who checks and says that they do have one Milano Red sport that will be arriving the same week. I tell him I have to think about it as they can only hold one for me. I called him today and thus far decided on the Milano Red.

subjective answers are okay -everyone knows everyone will have different prefrences. I've narrowed my choices down based on pure preference:

Night Hawk Black
-Hot during summer
-Scrathces and dings show easily
-Shines brighter and bolder

Storm Silver
-Scrathces and dings won't show as easily
-Looks somewhat boring

Milano Red
-Scrathces and dings show mildly
-Shines bright and bold
-Too flashy?

I have had many cars in the past and different colors too. However, I have never owned a red car. What are the basics?

Old 04-14-2006, 09:49 AM
I have had a red car, and yeah, it's kinda flashy. However, I've never received increased amounts of law enforcement attention because of the red, if that's what you're concerned about.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:54 AM
Color Choice

The reason I decided on Storm Silver Metallic was my '90 Honda Civic was Gold Metallic and it held up extremely well. It showed very few scratches and never really looked dirty. I'm hoping Storm Silver will be the same. My 2002 Civic is Ruby Red Pearl, and it really shows the dirt. I wanted Lunar Mist at first, but I think I will be happier with Silver in the long run.

Old 04-14-2006, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
That is what I am afraid of. Not only the day to day dirt on a red car, but also the dullness after so long. I feel like being impulsive and getting the red, I can enjoy the luster until its gone. Nonetheless I feel like Storm Silver will be a better more conservative choice in the long run. I might not be as cool looking but then again niether is a five year old red? Am I correct in my reasoning. Do Reds tend to dull out. How long will it hold its shine? Keep in mind I'm in Cleveland with Cleveland snow.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:00 AM
IME, the paint fade is more affected by summer sun than winter snow. My red car faded a lot in the hot Mississippi summer sun, you may do better with yours. For my part, mine's coming in Blaze Orange.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
I've always thought that the darker silver and grey cars look used, even when they're new. They do "look" cleaner though, even when they're not. So, if you don't want to "have" to wash it as often, I'd say, go with the Storm Silver.

While red is attractive, it also requires more attention, to keep it from fading. Some reds fade towards pink, while others fade towards orange. If you're a person who thinks of cars as more of a utility-type people mover, then I'd say "no" to it. If you're a hands-on kinda guy, then go for it.

Man, I really wish they had brought the Alabaster Silver down here!

Old 04-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by DewaltDakota

Man, I really wish they had brought the Alabaster Silver down here!
I'll second that!!!!

Old 04-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
Taffeta White... = Baller!!!!

Old 04-14-2006, 12:20 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
I have a San Marino Red Civic. Red will make a stock car look good.

Old 04-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Nuthin' much a vinyl shop can't cure! But I'm leaning towards the boring silver myself. Hopefully, personalized subtle stuff like a tire/rim package and a distinct lowering package to set your car off than the rest.

Old 04-14-2006, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
I'll agree that the silver and gold colors show the least dirt. They really tend to not look as dirty as darker or lighter cars. The disadvantages I see with the silver, gold, and white tones are that they become very hard to see under low-light or reduced visibility conditions. The next time you are driving on a foggy or rainy day, notice how much easier it is to see cars which have darker paint jobs. The (sharp looking) Milano Red, should be much easier to pick out of the background than the Storm Silver. You're going to have to keep it clean though. You were planning on washing it every week anyway, right?

Old 04-14-2006, 02:06 PM
I think I am leaning towards the white. It is similar to silver in hiding dirt/dust, but I think it contrasts better with the black on the car. Unfortunately you have to get the tan interior with the white if you want a base.

I suppose the only way to really know is to see everything in person - not long now.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:27 PM
I have a friend who is a painting contractor in Maui, HI. He has been painting wood homes with auto paints for several years. These are owners that want a clear or semi transparent finish to show and protect the grain of the wood. Strenght of ultra rays are very strong in thee tropics and most clear finishes fail quite fast. My friend assures me that the new generation of auto paints do not fail and fade like they did only a few years ago. He tells me the Red will not fade like they did in the past. Milano Red for me.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
That settles it ... I'm painting my house Alabaster Silver!

Old 04-14-2006, 03:13 PM
What about the Blue Pearl? Can anyone chime in about the pros and cons of having a blue car? Thanks.

Old 04-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Red is safer because it is more visible -especially during northern winters when the world is grey or white.

Old 04-14-2006, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
blue pearl is the way to go...kinda stands out but not too much...cool factor maxed out...

Old 04-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by hen88
What about the Blue Pearl? Can anyone chime in about the pros and cons of having a blue car? Thanks.
I have a Civic wagon that was probably close to the Blue Pearl at some point in its life, but after 22 years it looks like primer!!!!

(Of course, they used different paints then, didn't they?!?!?)

Old 04-14-2006, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
I wish they would let us get Helios Yellow here in USA like most of the rest of the world has. I really like yellow cars (have owned 3 over the years...and a custom painted yellow motorcycle and 2 yellow bicycles)

Last edited by tubaman; 04-17-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by wandafreely
I have a Civic wagon that was probably close to the Blue Pearl at some point in its life
I think you'll find the original '84 Blue Wagon closer to Lunar Mist than Vivid Blue in the Fit.

Quick Reply: What are the advantages and disadvantages of each color?