General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Why did you buy Sport over Base?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Why did you buy Sport over Base?

The only difference I see in the two are the rims, spoiler & paddle shifters (im not sure if they are on the base or not)

So what was it that attracted you to spend more $$?

Old 04-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
there's more to the sport trim than just that. im sure there's a thread on this already.

that was the reason.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:20 PM
cruise control, alloy wheels, usb drive, keyless entry, fog lights, paddle shifter, body kit, spoiler.

all that for just $1560 more over the base so it's a no brainer for me. You couldn't add all that by yourself for less than $1500.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:22 PM
I have a Base. Mud Guards FTW!

Old 04-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Appearance for sure, preferred the looks of the Sport, however I also felt a difference in handling provided by the sports inclusion of rear roll bar, and that ultimately helped sway me as well. The paddle shifters also played a role in my decision, as I didn't care for the driving experience offered by the stick shift, and wanted the paddles for the full manual control they offer.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:28 PM
It seems to me that the sport is actually the standard that most go by. After all, most dealers have 20-30 sports and less than 10 base models, if that many.

I think the better question to ask is why did I get a base over the sport?

-Cheaper obviously.
-I did not want the sport wheels. They are desirable by theives and they are more expensive to replace the tires. Also, if I damage them on a curb, they are like that forever. I can replace a hubcap for cheap.
-Better gas milage. I know this is debatable. The EPA sticker said the base is better. Many with sports say it is the same. Well I went with the EPA at the time. Maybe it is, maybe not. Whatever.
-Cheaper car insurance - This is a big one because it is a constant expense. The word "sport" to car insurance companies means "faster" so they charge you more money. It doesn't matter if performance wise they are mostly the same.
-Looks different - A matter of opinion of which one looks better. But I like the fact that my base does not look the same as most of the other Fits out there. I actually prefer the front bumper design better and I never really thought much of the side skirts. I do like the spoiler but I can do without. Cusomizations can of course make your car look different from the rest, but that usually costs a good bit of money.

Things like map lights, cruise control and USB interface are things I would like to have. But when I compared the pros and cons, those were things I could do without. I don't drive much at night, I don't drive much where I could use cruise control and the controls on my MP3 player are easier than the USB/radio anyway. They just were not "must have" for me. And I doubt I would have ever used the paddle shifters.

Last edited by FireFox91; 04-01-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Ipod hookup.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:10 PM
VSC, and everything else everyone has mentioned so far.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
Availability of VSA and Navi, better everything pretty much, and I couldn't live without cruise control anymore!

Old 04-01-2009, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
Kroze hit it on the head for a little more the sport offers alot more in my book.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:49 PM
I would thing this question answers itself.... obviously the people with the sport models thought the extra stuff was worth the price difference, if they didn't think it was worth it they wouldn't have bought it.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
i bought the sport its cruise control. i do alot of traveling, i really needed that cruise control. everything else just came extra. i like the wing, the body skirts, pretty stuff, etc, but cruise control is a must have. i wish there was an option to get the sport without the alloys, that would've saved a few hundred dollars.

it's your money, it's your car, it's your choice.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
i bought the sport for the k20

Old 04-01-2009, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
i bought the sport for the k20
lol, yeah, with a nitrous setup and a RWD.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
I liked the look of the Sport quite a bit more and the usb interface for my ipod was a must. The only thing that still ERKS me is the lack of a map light!!! (Canadians got stiffed on all models ).

Old 04-01-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm kind of PISSED I got the Sport now. If I could go back in time I'd get the Base.

Why?

I'd buy a bodykit, not have to cover up spoiler holes, I never use cruise control, and I drive a stick anyway.

I was a moron

Old 04-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Insurance is more on the Sport than the base? Aren't the same engines in both cars?

wtf.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:03 PM
One major reason I got a sport '07 vs. a base - cruise control. But I have to admit, the oem underspoiler setup looks pretty damn good . . . and keyless entry is definitely appreciated. Foglights I could care less about, I never use them.

Also, if I had saved money by buying a base, I suspect I would have immediately blown the difference on a set of alloy rims. :laugh:

Oh - and absolutely no difference in insurance cost between the two for my insurer (allstate). If a company does charge a little more, it could only be because the sport bodykit costs more to replace if you mess it up.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FireFox91
I do like the spoiler but I can do without. Cusomizations can of course make your car look different from the rest, but that usually costs a good bit of money.
I think the 09 fit was designed without a spoiler in mind. Looks like extra luggage.

Yet for some reason, 08 looks odd without a spoiler.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
'07 sport.
auxiliary jack for ipod was the main thing I wanted over the base, cruise control rocks as well. I originally ordered a base from the first dealer. I loved the sport, but thought it was out of my reach. This was my first NEW car & after talking to my Sister her husband and my Mom about it, if I was going to buy a new car I should get what I really want. So I found a dealer that could make it happen and I have zero regrets.

(wish I could lower it, but we have pot holes the size of the marianas trench here)

Quick Reply: Why did you buy Sport over Base?