General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Why did you buy Sport over Base?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by beangrower
damn! glad there's no alligators here in hawaii.
I'm thinking perhaps he means alligators in the sense of big semi tire treads? That's kind of slang for them...they can tear your stuff up.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
I'm thinking perhaps he means alligators in the sense of big semi tire treads? That's kind of slang for them...they can tear your stuff up.
Lol! Not in Florida! I've had to steer away from a few on back roads, in the middle of the night, when I lived in Florida. Especially around winter months... I think they like the warmth of the road.

Interesting about the "treads" thing though. I didn't know they were given that name. You crazy Texans!

Old 02-20-2010, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member
Seldom see tire treads here anymore. Used to be a common thing and made you wary driving behind Semis.

Have yet to run over a Gator here though.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:16 AM
5 Year Member
It's short for "road alligator". They are dangerous to a car, life threatening to a motorcycle rider. Between the road alligators and the giant forest rats (deer), I try not to ride after dark.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
I didnt go base. I didnt go sport. I went with canadian LX and had everything I wanted (cruise control, aux jack, power windows and locks, etc).

Old 03-01-2010, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
I chose the Sport over the base because I just liked the way it looked. Also...I hate the idea of chasing hubcaps that fly off or get stolen (been there done that).

Old 03-01-2010, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
I just bought a 2010 base fit today!
I'm trying to watch the cash flow, it was only $14,700. You can't find a car as good for that price!!
It rules, RULES!!

Old 03-03-2010, 03:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wskwong
Where do you get that from? Miss Carolina?
That would be Miss South Carolina, thank you.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
I hit a road alligator on the way home from work one early AM and tore almost $200 worth of plastic out from under the car... and I'm driving a Base GD3.

OT: I bought my MR Base GD3 because it was the only Fit in stock. After 350 miles of driving from one dealership to another, I was almost ready to buy a Yaris (Thank GOD we didn't). Keep in mind that gas was still over $3 a gallon here. There were 4 Fits in a 50 mile radius: Mine; a used '07 MR Sport that had a really shitty tint job, shag carpet, and reeked of weed (at the dealership!); a beautiful VBP Base at the same dealership; and an identical MR base at the 'Mega' dealer (Swope in Louisville).

I bought mine for sticker, basically, at $16,449. Huffman wanted $500 below what a new '08 Sport would have cost elsewhere for that beat to shit '07 Sport, and they wanted nearly $18,000 for the VBP Base. The salesman at Swope was at least straight with us. When we showed him what my dealer wanted for my car, he said "I'm one of the four people on this entire lot who can give you a price without having to go to the sales manager. If you can buy this car at Hardin Co. Honda at the quoted price; DO IT. I can't sell it to you for that. If you want to buy this one here, though, you'll have to wait three weeks to pick it up because I don't have any more of them for demos. I've got 19 coming in in three weeks and 17 of them are already sold."

The only thing the GD3 Sport has that really miss is cruise control. I got the keyless and alarm (and rear bumper applique) from Bernardi and put them in myself one afternoon. My fogs are OEM Honda and I got them from a fellow FitFreak. The only other thing I'd like to have but can live without (until I can save some money, that is) is a rear spoiler. The GD3 looks weird without one.

Last edited by E = Mc2; 03-03-2010 at 03:54 AM. Reason: speeling
Old 03-03-2010, 05:27 AM
5 Year Member
Two words: Cruise Control. Not even kidding...

Old 03-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Because Orange Revolution Metallic only came in Sport.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:50 AM
Bought my '07 Fit Sport after seeing them on a trip to Thailand in 2005. It's a shame the US Fit Sport does not have the 4 wheel disc brakes the Thai Sport model has

Old 03-13-2010, 06:56 PM
I bought a sport because the base model fits are freakin HIDEOUS!!!!

1. Omg I can't stand to see any hatchback without a spoiler! It's one of those things that really grinds my gears. Have you ever seen an EG Hatch without a spoiler on the back? Looks like a damn' bubble crusin' down the road. Looks like something that should be floating around on some "Kirby" game!

2. Hubcaps are the dumbest invention since "the wheel" If I had my way I would collect every single hubcap and dookie wheel that matches it and send them on a rocket ship into space to never return!

3. And what's all this talk about paddle shifters? I'm sorry for everyone out there who owns an AT because AT's are for women who can't drive MT's.

4. Cruise Control you ask??? I pity all those without it... I'm from NC and I'm stationed in Missouri... 1000 mile drive. If I didn't have Cruise I would shoot myself.

5. The Lip kit also makes the fit look ALOT better. AUX input for your stereo is awesome cuz you can just hook your mp3 player up to it and never have to change CDs.

6. Keyless Entry... No more locking your keys in your freakin car... 'nuff said

7. Fog lights... The base model fit's fog light "delete" panels are repulsive and literally make me want to puke when i see them

8. Leather wrapped steering wheel = NICE! Have you really payed attention to the base models steering wheel? Feels like cheap plastic and I thought I was literally going to break it when I test drove the damn' thing

9. Six speaker audio system... I really don't have to explain this one...

BUT WAIT... THERE'S MORE!

10. ALSO, if you don't have an MP3 player you can make a "Juke box MP3 CD" with Nero burning software on your computer and put like a ba-gillion songs on it and play it in the Fit Sport's CD Player and guess what? The base model Fit's CD Player will not read "Juke Box MP3 CD's" So base model owners are missing out AGAIN with another feature...

Let's face it folks.... the base model just doesn't compare... there's no way that you can add all of this stuff to your fit and it be less than the difference in price from the Dealer... Base Model owners... I pity you... dearly

So there, 10 good reasons off the top of my head way the Sport is the better buy... or just better altogether. But to each his own I suppose...

Last edited by Demon Fit; 03-13-2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: grammer error
Old 03-13-2010, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
I have been around long enough to have seen many of the features that you have mentioned that are upgrades on the Fit Sport being changed out for after market products with more watts, carbon fiber, or a JDM brand name.... The people that have or are likely to do that would be better off starting with less to begin with and purchase the base model.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Demon Fit
I bought a sport because the base model fits are freakin HIDEOUS!!!!

1. Omg I can't stand to see any hatchback without a spoiler! It's one of those things that really grinds my gears. Have you ever seen an EG Hatch without a spoiler on the back? Looks like a damn' bubble crusin' down the road. Looks like something that should be floating around on some "Kirby" game!

2. Hubcaps are the dumbest invention since "the wheel" If I had my way I would collect every single hubcap and dookie wheel that matches it and send them on a rocket ship into space to never return!

3. And what's all this talk about paddle shifters? I'm sorry for everyone out there who owns an AT because AT's are for women who can't drive MT's.

4. Cruise Control you ask??? I pity all those without it... I'm from NC and I'm stationed in Missouri... 1000 mile drive. If I didn't have Cruise I would shoot myself.

5. The Lip kit also makes the fit look ALOT better. AUX input for your stereo is awesome cuz you can just hook your mp3 player up to it and never have to change CDs.

6. Keyless Entry... No more locking your keys in your freakin car... 'nuff said

7. Fog lights... The base model fit's fog light "delete" panels are repulsive and literally make me want to puke when i see them

8. Leather wrapped steering wheel = NICE! Have you really payed attention to the base models steering wheel? Feels like cheap plastic and I thought I was literally going to break it when I test drove the damn' thing

9. Six speaker audio system... I really don't have to explain this one...

BUT WAIT... THERE'S MORE!

10. ALSO, if you don't have an MP3 player you can make a "Juke box MP3 CD" with Nero burning software on your computer and put like a ba-gillion songs on it and play it in the Fit Sport's CD Player and guess what? The base model Fit's CD Player will not read "Juke Box MP3 CD's" So base model owners are missing out AGAIN with another feature...

Let's face it folks.... the base model just doesn't compare... there's no way that you can add all of this stuff to your fit and it be less than the difference in price from the Dealer... Base Model owners... I pity you... dearly

So there, 10 good reasons off the top of my head way the Sport is the better buy... or just better altogether. But to each his own I suppose...
1. if it would be visible from the driver seat - i would get one for 150 dollars.

2. They are removable. very easy, as a matter of fact.

3. MT is available on base. In my case it was easier to find it on Base then on Sport.

4. Cruise control's are for women who can't drive without it.

5. Base has an AUX input. Ground effects are nice to have if they would be $300 extra to the base price.

6. You may get it as a bonus for bying the car or install get it yourself for 35 dollars.

7. IMHO - Base bumper with optional fox lights looks cleaner and more european like then Sport's .

8. 46 dollars - perfect leather wrap designed specifically for FIT - many people can't see the difference and cannot believe it was done "DYI".

9. How much would you pay for extra 2 speakers?

10. Do not know what it is ...but I have a feeling it would not worth to pay extra 100's dollars.

11. 14K before taxes and fees for new MT Base (keyless, security, armrest included). How much would be the Sport with Crusie control and fog lights... I'm sorry ..and two extra speakers.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:44 PM
I test drove the Base, the Sport, and then the Base again. The Fit rides pretty rough - the Fit Sport rides just too rough for my tastes. I went with the Base.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
I have a 08 base. The reason I bought it over the sport was because;
1) no need for cruise control.
2) never use my iPod
3) already have a navi
4) not a fan of the lip kit, like the clean look. If I ever decided to add, they'd be aftermarket.
5) The extra speakers weren't a big deal to me. Besides, adds another 50lbs. LOL.
6) I'm a college student who bought his own car, so the extra couple thousand wasn't worth it.

The only thing I could have wanted from the sport was the keyless entry. But I bought an alarm system from another forum member and had it installed for 50 bucks.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:00 AM
5 Year Member
You know how often I use cruse and a usb stick for music? All the time, that right there alone is worth the price. Go buy a corolla without cruise for a few grand more.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by JustFitMe
1. if it would be visible from the driver seat - i would get one for 150 dollars.

2. They are removable. very easy, as a matter of fact.

3. MT is available on base. In my case it was easier to find it on Base then on Sport.

4. Cruise control's are for women who can't drive without it.

5. Base has an AUX input. Ground effects are nice to have if they would be $300 extra to the base price.

6. You may get it as a bonus for bying the car or install get it yourself for 35 dollars.

7. IMHO - Base bumper with optional fox lights looks cleaner and more european like then Sport's .

8. 46 dollars - perfect leather wrap designed specifically for FIT - many people can't see the difference and cannot believe it was done "DYI".

9. How much would you pay for extra 2 speakers?

10. Do not know what it is ...but I have a feeling it would not worth to pay extra 100's dollars.

11. 14K before taxes and fees for new MT Base (keyless, security, armrest included). How much would be the Sport with Crusie control and fog lights... I'm sorry ..and two extra speakers.
like said man, to each his own. If you like your base better than a sport then more power to ya bro. At least it's still a Honda Fit, and as long as its a fit it's ok in my book

Old 03-14-2010, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jackie11111
I test drove the Base, the Sport, and then the Base again. The Fit rides pretty rough - the Fit Sport rides just too rough for my tastes. I went with the Base.

Well for the nonsurgically enhanced the Sport rides just fine. I prefer my plastic on the Fit.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy Sport over Base?