General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Why did you buy Sport over Base?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
The fogs all wired in by Honda, real rims, the premium sound & MP3, 5pc body kit & cruise control did it for me.

There is lots of little stuff too; to name a few, the leather steering wheel with grips, keyless entry & sport shift knob that make it feel like a more upscale car.

To me it felt like I got a lot more car considering the small premium over the LX or Base. I think it was money well spent

Old 04-02-2009, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by Scaldy
I liked the look of the Sport quite a bit more and the usb interface for my ipod was a must. The only thing that still ERKS me is the lack of a map light!!! (Canadians got stiffed on all models ).
canadians doesn't have map lights?

oh yea i forgot, canadian doesn't have maps.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:42 AM
Not that I plan on selling anytime soon, but another point to consider is resale value.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:24 AM
i dont even own a GE but i consider buying the sport just because, it looks plain sexy for a car in its class (yaris, versa, aveo, etc.) and i also like the other features like the IPOD connection, spoiler/body-kit/fogs, Cruise Control, keyless entry, rear roll bar, too much too list.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
Availability of VSA and Navi, better everything pretty much, and I couldn't live without cruise control anymore!

Same here, plus the fact I had the extra money = no reason not to.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
the only things i wanted from the sport were keyless,an ipod connection and the front lip.so i bought keyless,honda music link and the front lip.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
Gotta have cruise control, all the other stuff is nice too.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:58 AM
Originally Posted by pilosopo
Appearance for sure, preferred the looks of the Sport, however I also felt a difference in handling provided by the sports inclusion of rear roll bar, and that ultimately helped sway me as well.

whats this rear roll bar in the rear on the sport model? I bought the base just because i was buying this car to save money and wanted the best price. I am happy with it but i think the extras of the sport are well worth the money an convience.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by hotpot
whats this rear roll bar in the rear on the sport model? I bought the base just because i was buying this car to save money and wanted the best price. I am happy with it but i think the extras of the sport are well worth the money an convience.
On the GE8, the sport models have a 17mm rear bar, while the base cars have none. My parents were with me (I asked them to some with me to make sure i didn't get suckered in some way) when I test drove the cars, and compared to the base, the sport exhibited more tightly controlled body motions at the rear, especially when there were people in the back. just seemed to handle better in general IMO.

Ultimately I felt this and paddle shifters were the biggest difference between the 2, and the ones that tipped my buying decision towards the sport.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Here in Canada the following Standard Equipment differences exist and are my reasons for sport over base:

- Air Conditioning
- Cruise Control
- Power Group; windows, doors
- Keyless entry
- Alarm System
- Paint color choice
- interior fabric color
- Drivers arm rest
- Body color under spoiler package
- 16" alloy wheels w/ wheel locks
- rear sway bar
- Color keyed door handles
- Fog lights
- heated side mirrors
- passenger seat back pocket
- Leather wrapped steering wheel
- 6 speaker stereo + USB Connector (not really great anyway)
- Exhaust tip

Overall during the test drives I had the Sport model felt a lot tighter in the suspension and generally had more convenience items included as standard. Yes you have to pay extra for the convenience but I think it was justified, if you were to add them on individually it would cost much more in the end.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
appearance, stereo is better, cruise control, and the aux jack is what did it for me.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Fitftw
appearance, stereo is better, cruise control, and the aux jack is what did it for me.
About the stereo, I hear it is "okay" but nothing great, Looking at the 2009 dash/radio....... it looks like it'd be impossible to replace with an aftermarket radio unit, so you can only replace the speakers right?

Old 04-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Beitzel15
Insurance is more on the Sport than the base? Aren't the same engines in both cars?

wtf.
Its not about the motor, there are more parts worth stealing on the sport than the base. Alloys, lips, foglights...

Old 04-07-2009, 09:51 AM
IMO=Just plain and simple, more bang for the buck!!

Old 04-07-2009, 10:09 AM
spelng > me
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Scaldy
I liked the look of the Sport quite a bit more and the usb interface for my ipod was a must. The only thing that still ERKS me is the lack of a map light!!! (Canadians got stiffed on all models ).
So what yall get every thing else skyline's, aristo's, type-r civic's etc...etc.. wow we get a map light. I will trade you a map light for a real performance car????
Originally Posted by trancedsailor
I'm kind of PISSED I got the Sport now. If I could go back in time I'd get the Base.
Why?
I never use cruise control, and I drive a stick anyway.
I was a moron
Same here if I would do it again I might still get the sport in a auto for the paddles shifter's, but I was dum for buying the sport. I dont really use the other stuff anyway

Last edited by Sid 6.7; 04-07-2009 at 10:47 PM. Reason: removed profanity
Old 04-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by mikejet
I have a Base. Mud Guards FTW!
Originally Posted by FireFox91
It seems to me that the sport is actually the standard that most go by. After all, most dealers have 20-30 sports and less than 10 base models, if that many.

I think the better question to ask is why did I get a base over the sport?

-Cheaper obviously.
-I did not want the sport wheels. They are desirable by theives and they are more expensive to replace the tires. Also, if I damage them on a curb, they are like that forever. I can replace a hubcap for cheap.
-Better gas milage. I know this is debatable. The EPA sticker said the base is better. Many with sports say it is the same. Well I went with the EPA at the time. Maybe it is, maybe not. Whatever.
-Cheaper car insurance - This is a big one because it is a constant expense. The word "sport" to car insurance companies means "faster" so they charge you more money. It doesn't matter if performance wise they are mostly the same.
-Looks different - A matter of opinion of which one looks better. But I like the fact that my base does not look the same as most of the other Fits out there. I actually prefer the front bumper design better and I never really thought much of the side skirts. I do like the spoiler but I can do without. Cusomizations can of course make your car look different from the rest, but that usually costs a good bit of money.

Things like map lights, cruise control and USB interface are things I would like to have. But when I compared the pros and cons, those were things I could do without. I don't drive much at night, I don't drive much where I could use cruise control and the controls on my MP3 player are easier than the USB/radio anyway. They just were not "must have" for me. And I doubt I would have ever used the paddle shifters.
+1

base>sport
i've never used my cruise control in any of my past cars...
ipod controls are better then the usb connected controls...
could live without the sport rims... had spyder rims that look nice on the GE..
i prefer the way the base front bumper looks, simpler is better in my book...
black headlight housings...
if you look around the forum (as well as the dealerships, a base MT was WAY harder to find then a sport MT), base GEs are more on the rare side and get the unique points :P

the only thing i wish i had that came with the sport is the rear sway...

Last edited by dela; 04-07-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by dela
+1

base>sport
i've never used my cruise control in any of my past cars...
ipod controls are better then the usb connected controls...
could live without the sport rims... had spyder rims that look nice on the GE..
i prefer the way the base front bumper looks, simpler is better in my book...
black headlight housings...
if you look around the forum (as well as the dealerships, a base MT was WAY harder to find then a sport MT), base GEs are more on the rare side and get the unique points :P

the only thing i wish i had that came with the sport is the rear sway...
I've tried looking for a base model, cant find any unless they are 2007's.. No 08's or 9's... just sports.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:43 PM
spelng > me
5 Year Member
Its funny everybody says there are no base models but when I got mine the fall of 06 there were 8 base models a 3 sport

Old 04-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Beitzel15
I've tried looking for a base model, cant find any unless they are 2007's.. No 08's or 9's... just sports.
Beitzel, you want base? Stick or auto? What color?

Honda Cars of Hickory has both stick and auto in several colors:
New Inventory

At least that what it SHOWS on their site. As to whether or not they have those cars, I don't know.

This place has a white automatic base (like mine!):
Nelson Automotive Family 13 Franchises 6 Locations Ford Mazda Honda Toyota Scion Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC Kia Subaru Dodge Cadillac

Old 04-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by kroze
canadians doesn't have map lights?

oh yea i forgot, canadian doesn't have maps.
Where do you get that from? Miss Carolina?

Quick Reply: Why did you buy Sport over Base?