General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Terrible marketing

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Question

Originally Posted by DewaltDakota
I think Honda should do a commercial, where they start off, showing a couple, getting ready for a trip. They just keep shoving more and more stuff into their (what appears to be) minivan or SUV. You don't really see the vehicle, just the tailgate, and it's filmed really close up and from the ground, making the car seem huge. Of course, it MUST be huge, because look at all of the crap they're putting into it!

As they drive, they emphasize the sport's paddle shifters, as they pass an 18-wheeler ... show them enjoying music, using their iPod music link, etc. All shots are set up, so you have no idea how big the car really is. You just see the driver and passenger, enjoying their trip, in their big, roomy (suggested) SUV/Minivan (heh-heh).

They get to their destination, where all of the spots are marked "COMPACT." Glancing at each other, the driver shrugs, and says "Good thing we Fit!", and as the camera zooms out, you notice that they're in a Honda Fit, which of course "fits" into the space, with ease.
Actually that's a very good treatment - is it copy righted at this very moment?

Old 04-12-2006, 02:42 PM
That would be an excellent commercial. It could also work without the Fit pun (if the actors do the right expressions), and just have a voice over at the end.

Sell it to Honda! They probably won't go for it though - not juvenile enough.

Last edited by DRum; 04-12-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:16 PM
You really need to look at a career in marketing. That is an excellent idea. I agree that you should sell it to Honda.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:42 PM
That's a great idea for a commercial...

and it was copyrighted the moment you wrote it down, automatically, so if someone steals it and doesn't pay you... sue them!

I like the ending!

Old 04-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by dkent49
and it was copyrighted the moment you wrote it down, automatically, so if someone steals it and doesn't pay you... sue them!
Yeah right -

There's actually a very simular UK market Mini commercial from way back in the day (late 60's early 70's) but it's still a good way to tell the story.

Those of us that do work in the "grey" area of advertising practice "theftivity" everything old is new again....

Old 04-12-2006, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the compliments ... though, I wouldn't have a clue as to how to offer it to Honda.

Maybe I should add a signature...
(c)2006 DewaltDakota. All Rights Reserved.

Originally Posted by Jonniedee
There's actually a very simular UK market Mini commercial from way back in the day (late 60's early 70's) but it's still a good way to tell the story.
I'd like to see it, if there's a copy of out there, anywhere... would be kinda cool!

Last edited by DewaltDakota; 04-12-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the Honda Canada site, Carley. There is little to build--base or sport & which transmission. Still it was fun to see the colors change and some pricing. I agree with other's comments about the marketing thus far. OTH, the only info. I have has been internet driven. I did see one newpaper article here about the Fit's debut about 3 weeks ago. It helps that the Fit isn't really a new car and there is lots of international data (crash tests in Europe, etc.) available online. This forum has also been a great help.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:34 PM
i always thought that the website was silly, but i guess i never thought about it being geared toward 10-year-olds (although i was one only 12 years ago ). just be at peace knowing that this will all be over in about a week.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by frossie
Thanks. It's very frustrating. I don't understand what they are thinking. I am interested in the Fit because it looks like an excellent second car (our other car is a Mazda RX-8, its user manual was on the web three months before it came out anywhere in the world)
Yes, you had the manual 3 months early, with a bunch of wrong information. How useful.

Originally Posted by gcomstock
Honda / Acura is famously tightlipped - very stingy in the amount of actual factual info they release about models **before their actual release** Some kind of strategy, I suppose.
Bingo.

Last edited by watermelonman; 04-12-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:54 PM
I think Honda should do a spoof of the VeeDub GTi commercials. Show some nerdy dude with a bland car, have some nutty ninja Asian ragging on him then poof, a completely riced out Fit drops down and crushes the guys car.

But, then, the nerdy looking guy is shown to be standing on a skateboard. He skates over, does some kick flips on the way, opens hatch, throws in the board, pulls off the wing and hood scoop, does the magic seat thing putting the wing and scoop inside, then a "My Go" Summo wrestler gets in the front passenger seat and the dude drives off.

Last edited by ex_MGB; 04-12-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:00 PM
(I said I had the Mazda RX-8's manual three months early and watermelonman replied)

Originally Posted by watermelonman
Yes, you had the manual 3 months early, with a bunch of wrong information. How useful.
The PDF I downloaded was identical to what was in the car when it arrived. I was happy, and when I went to pick the car up I was able to show the dealer all the neat interior features he hadn't spotted

Old 04-12-2006, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DRum
I agree. Trying too hard to be hip is extremely unhip, and Honda is trying too hard.
Uncool with the younger crowd perhaps but it has worked out enormously well for Scion. Kids don't have to think it is cool, their parents (the ones with the money) have to think the kids think it is cool.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by frossie
(I said I had the Mazda RX-8's manual three months early and watermelonman replied)

The PDF I downloaded was identical to what was in the car when it arrived. I was happy, and when I went to pick the car up I was able to show the dealer all the neat interior features he hadn't spotted
Engine output was off by such a large amount that Mazda reportedly offered free maintenance and buy back programs.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:41 PM
The marketing and the "Aero kit" stuff are all geared to "10 year olds" - I really think they are missing their mark here - my only hope is that not only will the ads change but they will soon begin to offer the "good stuff" (cruise, remote locking, upgraded stereo, etc) without the tacked on exterior plastic.

Old 04-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by watermelonman
Engine output was off by such a large amount that Mazda reportedly offered free maintenance and buy back programs.
Engine output was off by a small amount (244 hp v 249 if I remember correctly) compared to advertised values in the previous months. I hardly cared, but Mazda clearly did - when they realised they gave me $500 cash plus free service for the 4-year warranty period (and this is for a car than needs service every 3,000 miles). I am not crying

Plus, I hate to tell you, but the US Fits are on a boat with the owner manual inside the glove compartment - they are not going to print them on April 20th. It really should be on the web by now.

I can't contradict you if you say that it is deliberate Honda strategy not to release information in advance of the car being at the dealership. But it would have cost them a sale from me. We waited 5 months for the RX-8 (after a major disagreement with a Pathfinder trashed the MX-5) because we had enough information to know that we wanted that car, and were willing to put up with the incovenience of a single car for a long time to get what we wanted.

Now that I am looking to replace our second car, I can tell you that if the Fit wasn't hitting my dealer next week but instead was out in late May, I would not wait for it even for a month because there is not enough information on the Honda website to make it worth my while, when I know there are other vehicles in this class that are acceptable to me. Even if I was a college student, the same thing would apply - I don't recall being (much) stupider back then. Lucky the Fit is a Jazz and there is some information about it already worldwide and when I heard about it I was only a couple of weeks away from launch. Otherwise I would have bought a car last wekeend.

If Honda think they are generating "excitement" by being coy I am sure they think they are getting something out of it to make up for those "lost sales" in the previous months. I just don't know what it is. Mind you, I had to talk to three people at my dealer before I found somebody who knew what month the cars were coming in, so I don't know where the launch excitement exactly.

Old 04-13-2006, 05:12 PM
I can understand secrecy when replacing an existing model because they don't want to take away sales from the remaing vehicles.

On a new vehicle they should release as much information so that people will wait instead of buying another vehicle - as mentioned above.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Honda does not want to sell TOO many Fits. A big part of the Honda strategy with the Fit is to develop floor traffic and get people to buy up to either a Civic or a Accord.

This is why their advert so far is so stupid. Customer goes in out of curiosity with a somewhat negative image, satisfies curiosity, salesman steers customer away from Fit with "only teens or college kids buy that little thing".

There is plenty of info on the six year old Fit on the net, Honda knows that. For savvy buyers, no need for Honda to add to it, rather they want to influence the not so savvy hoping to eventually get them in a Civic or Accord.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by ex_MGB
Honda does not want to sell TOO many Fits. A big part of the Honda strategy with the Fit is to develop floor traffic and get people to buy up to either a Civic or a Accord.

This is why their advert so far is so stupid. Customer goes in out of curiosity with a somewhat negative image, satisfies curiosity, salesman steers customer away from Fit with "only teens or college kids buy that little thing".

There is plenty of info on the six year old Fit on the net, Honda knows that. For savvy buyers, no need for Honda to add to it, rather they want to influence the not so savvy hoping to eventually get them in a Civic or Accord.
I think it would work better if there was a new Honda sports car with a V8. If you were a salesman and someone came into your dealership to check out a Fit, the least expensive car in your line up, why would you want to bump them to a Civic, or Accord? The Fit is new and demand is high. Oh yeah, it's the least expensive. Trust me usually it's harder to get someone to spend more money. Take ford for instance. They have the Ford GT MSRP 140k, people come in look at it, and buy a Mustang GT. Trust me the salespeople don't try to switch a Focus buyer to a Fusion, it's usually the other way around.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:29 PM
The only time they try to get you to move down a model is once you have told them what you are willing to spend. Then they do their best to convince you of the merits of the less expensive model - of course at the price you already mentioned.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:26 PM
As a salesman, you want options, so people don't walk. Before the Fit, if someone comes in looking at a Civic and balks at the price, then you've got to switch to used. In spite of what you probably just said about how great it is to buy a new car....

Now with the Fit, the salesman can keep the customer in the showroom with another viable option to show them.

That's why Honda could use something larger than the Accord in their line up too. As a salesman, it's probably your worst nightmare than the Fit problem. You've got someone with $$ to burn, but if they want something a little bigger (or more powerful, or with a few more luxury features) all you can do is look at used or try to convince them to get a mini-van or SUV instead. Fat chance. Then, you curse Honda as they leave for the Acura dealer and buy the "same Honda quality" you just sold them on for the last hour.

Quick Reply: Terrible marketing