General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Nissan Lowers fuel economy Estimates for Versa

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Nissan Lowers fuel economy Estimates for Versa

Nissan revises down Versa fuel economy

Posted Apr 9th 2006 3:00PM by John Neff

In a short-but-sweet press release Nissan announced that it is revising downward the estimated EPA combined city/highway gas mileage for its Xtronic CVT-equipped Versa sub-compact. The original estimate was 38 mpg, which has now fallen to 33 mpg. Nissan offered no explanation for the adjustment. All Versa models are powered by a 122-hp, 1.8L four-cylinder engine.

I think this may have something to do with the actual real world mileage some to the early reviews have posted about the Versa. In Car and Driver's 7 car test the Versa averaged only 28 mpg. Way below the estimated numbers.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
I like Fit Sport.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dojo
Nissan revises down Versa fuel economy

Posted Apr 9th 2006 3:00PM by John Neff

In a short-but-sweet press release Nissan announced that it is revising downward the estimated EPA combined city/highway gas mileage for its Xtronic CVT-equipped Versa sub-compact. The original estimate was 38 mpg, which has now fallen to 33 mpg. Nissan offered no explanation for the adjustment. All Versa models are powered by a 122-hp, 1.8L four-cylinder engine.

I think this may have something to do with the actual real world mileage some to the early reviews have posted about the Versa. In Car and Driver's 7 car test the Versa averaged only 28 mpg. Way below the estimated numbers.

Not pleased to see that the Fit was comparatively noisy. (Thought it was the quietest until I realized I was looking at the Hyundai column!) Consumer Reports dinged Honda over and over for excessive noise, for all of its models -- the only criticism. Another thread talks about undercoating to reduce the road noise, but what do you about engine noise?

Last edited by FondaFit; 04-10-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by FondaFit
..., but what do you about engine noise?
I'm very skeptical when automotive journalist split hairs, but it is their job regardless. This is the sub-compact class of cars where the engines are basically in our laps and just upgraded lawnmower motors. All of this if fine for me because I know what I'm buying and the class of car expectations.

A majority of journalists have a N.A. biased where they are used to floating mattresses, shaolin monestary librairy quietness and Noise Vibration Harshness expectations that are for another car segment. Car&Driver dBA readings had everysubcompact within a close range that it would not deter me from a specific desired purchase. 30%+ of us will probably throw on a rice can muffler anyways and get an amp for our boom boxes. Plus I thought hearing the engine was music to my ears anyways.

This car class is about cheap and durable transportation. The real war is in the styling, amount amenities thrown in to entice me, reliability and long term easy and affordable maintenace.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
I'm no auto journalist, but the very first thing I noticed on my test drive was that road noise and engine noise was a step up in volume above the Corolla I got my license on. The Corolla isn't a luxury sedan by any means either.

Not that the extra noise will faze me, since I like to have music on anyway

Old 04-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
The guys on Top Gear love a good noise track, and so do I.

If I wanted a quiet car, I'd get a Lexus and use it as a recording studio.

BTW, isn't it sad that the Caliber with 40 extra HP isn't the 1/4 mile champ?

Old 04-10-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm glad that there are true automotive enthusiast here!!!
The compact class leaders of corolla, civic, sentra, mazda 3 are upping their level of refinement, N.V.H. and ride quality compared to years past, but I'm sure subcompacts have improved substantially too and these journalists should realize it.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
Plus I thought hearing the engine was music to my ears anyways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_health_effects
  • Sounds with levels below 70 dBA pose no known risk of hearing loss, no matter how long they last. Listening to music at this volume is about the same as what you'd experience driving a four-door family car on the highway with the windows closed.
  • WITH SOUND LEVELS ABOVE 70 dBA, the duration of daily exposure becomes an important risk factor. For example, sounds measuring 85 dBA pose no risk of hearing loss if you are exposed for no longer than 45 minutes a day. But music at that volume poses more and more of a risk the longer it's listened to.
Ok, I had to drop this into the conversation, but only because I've seen so many people with hearing loss that could have been avoided. Noise pollution is usually overlooked as a health hazard, but it does a lot of damage. Road noise is one of the worst sources. Cranking up your music to drown out the engine only makes your noise exposure worse. You have no idea how badly hearing loss can impact your every day life until it's too late.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
im 26, depend on my ears for my livelihood, and am already experiencing mild hearing loss. I dont think we should have to pay $30k+ to have a quiet car.

Old 04-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by CarDemon
A majority of journalists have a N.A. biased where they are used to floating mattresses, shaolin monestary librairy quietness and Noise Vibration Harshness expectations that are for another car segment.
LOL - and they want B & B's too

Old 04-10-2006, 05:24 PM
"LOL - and they want B & B's too "......as a reward for the day's "punishing ride and appalingly utter disregard for a modicum of comfort"

Old 04-10-2006, 05:38 PM
I just re-read the chart to see what they really meant by dBA @ full throttle.
They mention the 70mph dBA of 69 and 76 @ full throttle; Is it upon acceleration in general? Redline acceleration with screeching take-off? Top speed? What other highway cruising speeds dbA's are available.

If it is momentarily then I guess that is okay.

I wouldn't buy this car for long trips or commutes anyways. Isn't it geared to be for the stop-go-to-slow alternative car. It's an urban econobox hatch which looks fun and cool to drive for me with rice-able characteristics.

Old 04-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Versa is very disappointing. I was initially choosing between that and the fit. After reading so many things about the fit, its hands down fit.

So how can a 1.8L engine be 120hp, and even with 6 speed have terrible mileage (same as the 148hp dodge caliber!), and have a slow acceleration?

Old 04-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
Nice post....

Old 04-11-2006, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by Gordio
So how can a 1.8L engine be 120hp, and even with 6 speed have terrible mileage (same as the 148hp dodge caliber!), and have a slow acceleration?
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as these contradictions exist. It just confirms to me in my mind that Honda & Toyota hands down are probably the best 4 cyl engine makers in the world. What would Honda be if they made a 8cyl? I think the big 3 would be running scared

Old 04-11-2006, 02:03 AM
I would be surprised if Honda ever entered the US full size truck market for a number of reasons. The biggest being that Honda isnt known for brute force in there motor's. I guess the same could be said about Nissan also but Honda motor's are even more peaky with less torque output then even Nissan's and probably any other Japanese make. One has to look no further then Honda's beginning to see why this is the case. They still build there motor's with the motorcycle mentality. High revving, low torque and care more about peak HP then they do about low or midrange power. They would have to dedicate a whole new plant and a huge lumpsome of money to a project like that the same way Nissan did with its Titan. Nissan invested a huge amount of money in the creation of the Titan project and if could have very well brought Nissan into financial troubles like GM or Ford if it had failed miserably.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:36 AM
Avid FitFreak Poster
I would not say that it is the best. I mean you can go thru and count the best #'s in each and different models share the same #'s... More HP just not always mean the better car...

Old 04-11-2006, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
Glad to know that there are concerns among 20-somethings about hearing loss! It's occurring earlier and earlier thanks to all the noise pollution around us. There's a lobbying group after Congress to start doing something about it, including noise reduction engineering on big diesel trucks, but of course the trucking industry and manufacturers, with more clout and $$, lobby right back. Saw some websites offering noise reduction "blankets" for under the hood. Are those any good, and would they violate the warranty? I do have a long commute, and frankly as soon as you get into a vehicle with good gas mileage, other than a hybrid, it seems to be noisier, regardless of how much you pay!

Old 04-14-2006, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by CarDemon
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as these contradictions exist. It just confirms to me in my mind that Honda & Toyota hands down are probably the best 4 cyl engine makers in the world. What would Honda be if they made a 8cyl? I think the big 3 would be running scared
It's coming soon. iVTEC V8