General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

safety info?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 12:44 PM
safety info?

so i have a question. my parents (who, yes, are way too overprotective) are under the impression that i'll be safer in either a large chevy truck or some kind of suv and i'm trying to convince them that the fit will be plenty safe (i'm planning on buying it either way, but i would rather they feel better about it). if anyone has any info that might help my argument, i would appreciate it.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
In a single vehicle collision (i.e like hitting a wall); a Fit is most likely more safe than a large SUV or truck.

But in a collision, physics dictates that a smaller car like the Fit is less protected than a larger pickup or SUV.

What are you driving now? If it's an older car, the Fit is likely to be safer than it.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:18 PM
honda believes in 100% safety for everyone, not only does that include the people inside the car, but it also includes the drivers of other cars and even pedestrians.

there are crumple zones in the front and rear of the car that help absorb shock so that it doesn't come into the cabin. there are side door intrusion beams that do the same thing, but for side collisions. there are plenty of airbags in the fit. front airbags for both the driver and passenger, side airbags in the sides of the seats that protect the front passengers from the door panel. there are also the side head curtain airbags which in a heavy side collision or rollover would deploy and protect all of the people inside the vehicle (even the rear passengers) from hitting their head against the glass or potentially flying out of the window. they basically paint a curtain along the glass to prevent this.

the fit has 3 channel, 4 wheel abs with front disc and rear drum brakes. it has ebd (electronic brakeforce distrobution) which determines where there is weight in the vehicle using scales on the wheels. where there is more weight, there is more friction, meaning more braking power for where the weight is distributed. for instance, if you are carrying a lot of cargo in the rear of the fit, the rear of the vehicle will have more weight. thus there is more braking power for the rear brakes. this eliminates nose-diving.

any questions, please do not hesitate to ask

Old 04-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Safety info

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/3995-new-american-honda-fit-saftey-page.html

I have posted in a thread earlier a link to the saftey page for the fit in the US.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:29 PM
In general large SUV's and trucks are only as safe as midsize sedans on average (and are below larger sedans and minivans). This is because SUVs are much more likely to roll over and can trip on things like curbs and guardrails. They also cannot stop as fast or avoid an obstacle as well as a vehicle of normal height and weight.

SUV drivers also tend to suffer much greater injury in some types of accidents because their overly stiff frames do not crumple to absorb damage - they transfer the crash forces to the occupant.

In short SUV's offer their drivers no more protection, but greatly add to the risk of others.

Have your parents read this book. It is enlightening.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158...lance&n=283155

Last edited by DRum; 04-07-2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Someone that Posts too much
SUVs are suseptible to rollovers. Many are built on truck rather than car chasis. Modern cars are designed to crumple to absorb the impact of a crash while with an overly rigid chasis the occupants take the force of an impact. At least with an SUV your parents can join all those other class legal actions against the manufacturers who are losing money hand over fist like GM.

A big issues with large 4WDs (SUVs) in Australia is poor visability (particularly rear) such as many owners have killed and injured their own children while reversing. Must be terrible having to live with knowing you killed your own child because of the decision to drive a truck.

Old 04-07-2006, 08:08 PM
thanks so much for the info. it's greatly appreciated!

Old 04-07-2006, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phillyb
the fit has 3 channel, 4 wheel abs with front disc and rear drum brakes.
Fit actually has 4 channel ABS.

Old 04-08-2006, 02:42 AM
no it doesn't. it has a single channel for the rear because of the torsion beam. i was just trained on it, but maybe i misheard

Last edited by phillyb; 04-08-2006 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Here is a link to the European NCAP crash tests on the 2004 Honda Jazz (Fit's name in other countries - same car)
http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...?id1=1&id2=188

Old 04-08-2006, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
no it doesn't. it has a single channel for the rear because of the torsion beam. i was just trained on it, but maybe i misheard

Straight from hondanews:
http://www.hondanews.com/CatID2150?m...54038&mime=asc

Braking System
The Fit has 10.3-inch ventilated front discs and 7.9-inch rear drum brakes. Vehicle stopping is further enhanced by a standard 4-channel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD). The standard ABS incorporates wheel sensors at each wheel to modulate braking pressure. With this type of system, the ABS control unit is able to monitor wheel speed at each wheel and adjust braking pressure to each of the front drive wheels and rear wheels independently.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:49 AM
cool thanks for the info

Old 04-09-2006, 04:41 AM
honda believes in 100% safety for everyone, not only does that include the people inside the car, but it also includes the drivers of other cars and even pedestrians.

there are crumple zones in the front and rear of the car that help absorb shock so that it doesn't come into the cabin. there are side door intrusion beams that do the same thing, but for side collisions. there are plenty of airbags in the fit. front airbags for both the driver and passenger, side airbags in the sides of the seats that protect the front passengers from the door panel. there are also the side head curtain airbags which in a heavy side collision or rollover would deploy and protect all of the people inside the vehicle (even the rear passengers) from hitting their head against the glass or potentially flying out of the window. they basically paint a curtain along the glass to prevent this.

the fit has 3 channel, 4 wheel abs with front disc and rear drum brakes. it has ebd (electronic brakeforce distrobution) which determines where there is weight in the vehicle using scales on the wheels. where there is more weight, there is more friction, meaning more braking power for where the weight is distributed. for instance, if you are carrying a lot of cargo in the rear of the fit, the rear of the vehicle will have more weight. thus there is more braking power for the rear brakes. this eliminates nose-diving.

any questions, please do not hesitate to ask
I thought that the US fit didnt have the the crumple zones? I believe there is a name honda uses... i cant remember though.

Old 04-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Trucks have death rates on par with small cars. (Although as small cars go Fit will probably end up acing the American crash tests, unlike most small cars on the market right now).
If you can't wait for those crash tests to prove Fit a safe ride, go with a Toyota Corolla w/ side airbags installed. Or to be REALLY safe, a big honkin' Ford 500. But I'd get the Fit.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:46 PM
HONDA says......it will get a 5 star front and a 4 star side

Old 04-09-2006, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by slojoeshow
I thought that the US fit didnt have the the crumple zones? I believe there is a name honda uses... i cant remember though.
Every new car has crumple zones....

Are you referring to the G-CON body structure?

Old 04-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Do you mean the ACE body structure?

Old 04-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Old 04-09-2006, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Green Lightning
Great post, GL!

To paraphrase Forrest, "Parents are as parents do." Shortly after I got my 81 Civic, my mother almost had a seizure when she saw a newspaper story about some poor guy in the exact same car getting accordionned between two 18 wheelers in one of those fog/slick road induced multi-car pile-ups. I don't know why I remember this stuff...

Old 04-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Trucks aren't required to meet the same safety standards as cars do.

Quick Reply: safety info?