General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

safety info?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 01:11 AM
You really have to look at specifics to understand the safety of particular vehicles. For some very interesting data for you and your parents, check out the IIHS report: http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2.../15/sr4003.pdf

The '01-'02 Civic only had 67 deaths per million vehicle years, while the '99-'02 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab (one of the largest vehicles) had 96. Chalk one up for the well-designed small car! The worst of the worst: Chevy Blazer 2dr 2WD with 308. Mirage: 209. Kia Rio: 200. The Fit's not going to be anywhere close to that, even though it's in the same class.

Of course, there's more going on than just the car's safety features too, since the young pay higher insurance premiums (I assume older folks do too, but I don't know that for a fact), because as a group they have more accidents.

I feel quite confident the Fit will do very well. I'm 40, and I'm strongly considering purchasing one. I plan to ask my agent about insurance costs very soon. If the insurance companies charge a premium due to the sub-compact class, the insurance costs may make the Civic cheaper in the long run.

Last edited by Hondyboy; 04-12-2006 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:16 AM
I wish there were more information about miles driven, age, sex of driver. For instance, Volkswagons are safe cars but they are made even safer because they spend so much time in the shop not being driven at all! Plus they are favorites of the ladies. It really does seem to come down as much to who is driving the cars and how much they are driving.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by dartvader
I wish there were more information about miles driven, age, sex of driver. For instance, Volkswagons are safe cars but they are made even safer because they spend so much time in the shop not being driven at all! Plus they are favorites of the ladies. It really does seem to come down as much to who is driving the cars and how much they are driving.
Haha, well said. So the fit for sure is considered a mini? I figured as much but that list can be a little confusing. As for statistics, people can make them say whatever they want, so unfortunately they can't always be considered reliable. Thanks for the info!

Old 05-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by stacey14
As for statistics, people can make them say whatever they want, so unfortunately they can't always be considered reliable. Thanks for the info!
I agree you have to be very careful basing decisions on statistics, but this report seems to be well done...

Old 05-01-2006, 03:56 PM
well when i re-read the report, i noticed the following:
The rates reflect primarily the influence
of a vehicle’s design and patterns of
use. Because driver demographics can
be a major influence, the death rate for
each vehicle was adjusted according to
the proportion of deaths of women 25-64
years old.
so that's interesting. the very good showing for the civic suggests to me the fit will be fine. man, i would never buy a mitsubishi (although their high death rates may reflect the fact that for years they gave absurdly good financing to bad credit risks, meaning a lot of risk-taking people bought ther cars