General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ewdysar
OK, I've got to ask, how does tint increase your car's fuel efficiency?

Eric
Tint lowers heat build-up in interior, requiring less use of AC, which lowers energy demands on the engine. Look where jkandell is from-- he KNOWs about heat build-up in a car.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
Tint lowers heat build-up in interior, requiring less use of AC, which lowers energy demands on the engine. Look where jkandell is from-- he KNOWs about heat build-up in a car.
I figured that it was something like that, but using the A/C less saves gas, not the tint itself. A person can choose to do that even without tint. So for short drives, a silver or light colored car cover, or just parking under trees, could save more gas than window tint. I guess that tinting the windows on my Porsche won't increase my range across the Mojave desert...

Eric

Last edited by ewdysar; 05-11-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
if you fold in your side view mirrors at hwy speeds you will also save fuel.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nascartrash
Making your gf walk will save gas too, however neither one is very safe...

Last edited by xorbe; 05-11-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by nascartrash
I bought my father a CRX Si a couple of years ago, and his first mod was to remove the passenger outside mirror. Don't know if he has any idea of how much real effect that had on his MPG. The car is in Kona now. and I keep telling him that he should put it back on, but he won't do it. And he's running sticky auto-x tires, not sure that it all makes sense.

Eric

Old 05-17-2007, 07:09 AM
Unhappy Under 20mpg AT base

I been posting in the other forum for advice, but so far it hasn't help. I will post in here to help put a smile on the faces all who is complaining about their gas mileage. My Honda Base AT Fit is getting amazinely 16mpg average.

100% city+ granny driving (not passing 3rpm)+ good road condition+clear weather + No sudden stop or acceleration's+ cosco premium+ one piss off fit owner = 16mpg (convert to) dealer giving me the finger and laughing behind my back as I walk my fit home to save some gas $$$.

I haven't even pass the 20 mark yet, and have 1000ml on it. I don't really know about the awhole waiting for it to break in thing. isn't a 1000 mile= breaking in?????

will, any advice will be appreciated

Old 05-17-2007, 07:12 AM
under 20mpg

Ps. i had so much plan for this car too from; road trip, bein cocky by showing off the great gas mileage, laughing at people with sport car, etc.....

Dam!!!

Old 05-17-2007, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BluNaruto
I been posting in the other forum for advice, but so far it hasn't help. I will post in here to help put a smile on the faces all who is complaining about their gas mileage. My Honda Base AT Fit is getting amazinely 16mpg average.

100% city+ granny driving (not passing 3rpm)+ good road condition+clear weather + No sudden stop or acceleration's+ cosco premium+ one piss off fit owner = 16mpg (convert to) dealer giving me the finger and laughing behind my back as I walk my fit home to save some gas $$$.

I haven't even pass the 20 mark yet, and have 1000ml on it. I don't really know about the awhole waiting for it to break in thing. isn't a 1000 mile= breaking in?????

will, any advice will be appreciated
It's not your driving. There is something wrong with your car. That's my immediate reaction. 16 mpg is unheard of even for the Fits being driven in the nightmarish traffic conditions in Tokyo. Granted that their Fits are CVT with 1.3 L being the standard, but even then, 16 mpg is not even 7km/L. Unless the parking brake is stuck or something like that causing a drag, your car should not get that kind of mileage.

As the final experiment, I suggest that you take your Fit out to an open highway. Take it anywhere where you can get up to the highway speed for at least half an hour (an hour would be even better). Fill the Fit up right before you do this, and fill her up again right after you are done with the same driving. Check the mileage. If you don't get above 30 mpg doing this, there is something wrong with your car.

Our Fit is pretty much 50-50 city/hwy and has gotten 32 mpg in 12,000 miles. Even in the pure city driving in our metro area, the worst ever was 26 mpg in a -20 F weather. So I am suspecting something is wrong with your car.

If the dealership does not treat you right, call Honda's customer service. Ask for their help. Also, you need not go to the same dealership where you bought your car. Your warranty is good at any authorized Honda dealership.

Good luck.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
One thing I did was during the first 7500 miles with the factory oil, I ran the crap out of the engine and up to redline to wear it in.

Try lead footing it for a couple tanks, and then granny test it for a tank.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
you can also do the idle learning procedure which might help. Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and let it sit for at least 10-15 minutes. before you reconnect it make sure everything is OFF. reconnect the terminal and start the car. Rev it at about 2500 rpm's until you hear the fan come on (you might have to open the hood to hear it). After the fan comes on the first time take your foot off the gas and let it idle until the fan comes on AGAIN.

The dealer should have done this but who knows. It should help some.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:11 PM
I just got my Fit 8 days ago and already have 1100 miles on it. Its a AT and I do not baby it but I also don't abuse it. I drive 75-85 with some 95-105 thrown in. My first tank I got 33mpg. Second tank 37.6 and 3rd tank which was yesterday, 307 miles on the interstate at 75-95mph was 38.375 mpg. I have my K&N ordered for it as well as wifes new Accord EX, she is getting a consistant 35-36mpg on the hiway with the V6 engine. God I love Hondas and mainly my new FIT.

dasher

Old 05-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by dasher
I just got my Fit 8 days ago and already have 1100 miles on it. Its a AT and I do not baby it but I also don't abuse it. I drive 75-85 with some 95-105 thrown in. My first tank I got 33mpg. Second tank 37.6 and 3rd tank which was yesterday, 307 miles on the interstate at 75-95mph was 38.375 mpg. I have my K&N ordered for it as well as wifes new Accord EX, she is getting a consistant 35-36mpg on the hiway with the V6 engine. God I love Hondas and mainly my new FIT.

dasher
My highest is 36.5 mpg in Ohio, I wonder if the higher altitude there helps the car achieve better mileage on the highway?

Old 05-22-2007, 03:23 PM
sen
Hello from the UK
I had my Fit (called Jazz in the uk) for about 3 weeks now. I drive almost 80 miles each day, the highest i had on the digital read out was over 52 mpg!!

Old 05-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by xorbe
Here's my sport a/t data for the year so far, odo approaching 19k:

great chart and good mileage!

Old 06-06-2007, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
36 Mpg!

Hi All

I had a very interesting Monday. I use my Fit for a LOT of business travel and this time it was a diagonal shot across Pennsylvania.

I was shocked...I filled up just before hitting a lot of hills through the mountains. The remainder of the drive (maybe the last 200 miles was all highway).

I pulled off the PA Turnpike to get gas and my trip odometer was at 360.4. It took exactly 10 gallons and no more (I don't do my super-topoff trick anymore.)

I typically average about 32 to 33 mpg in mixed driving with my leadfoot, but I was shocked to see a 36 mpg average on that tank.

I love this car. I crossed 35k on the way home tonight and should be out of warranty by the end of June, even with the mini-extension courtesy of the class action suit.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:12 AM
NMG
My first tank I got around 7.0 litres/100km or roughly 33 MPG. This is probably half city and half highway and driving a Fit Sport MT.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:18 AM
Our Fits getting great mileage

We just sold our silver Fit , it got 44 mpg and 46 mpg on the last 2 fillups with 38,000 miles on it. The new red one looks to get about the same mpg based on the first tank. Both are base models, manual tranny's, slow start, 44 psi all around, never over 55 mph, shift at 2500 rpm, light foot and anticipating stops , mixed driving to work mostly, fairly rural, no AC, no idling for warmups. It can be done, at least on the base manual ones. (lighter in weight, more efficient manual). Our Insight gets a consistent 70 mpg under the same conditions (it is cold here a lot of the year, and we live on top of a 1000 ft hill, which eats up the gas in second gear going up). Ted

Old 06-23-2007, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by johnson@crocker.com
and we live on top of a 1000 ft hill, which eats up the gas in second gear going up
Yeah, but OTOH, you should be doing at least 85mph at the bottom of the hill before even starting the vehicle when you're leaving home!

Old 06-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Today marked my 3rd fill-up in the Fit... husband used calculator on his cell phone at the gas pump to figure up my MPG. Figured 36! That made me happy.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Have not been here in a while since I wound up not getting a Fit - my wife used her veto power. Thought I would report the mpg that I am getting with my Accord stick shift I4.

After 9,000 miles overall average is 32.9 mpg.

My best full tank has been 41.5 mpg. This was 549 miles on 13.04 gallons (same pump same filling method) This was an average speed of 65 mph for a long trip (there and back) on rural highways (with small towns and stop signs). No A/C use

My best mpg for at least 50 miles of cruising on the highway is 44.5 going 60 mph with no A/C on level ground. This was reported by my calibrated scangauge II which has been withing 3% for every one of my fillups (usually just a tad on the low side).

One of my worse numbers has been 31.5 mpg going 80 mph into an extremely strong headwind (the Perkins flag was straight out and snapping).

My worst full tank ever was 28.4 with a mix of city driving and some highway. I did have fillups of just under 20 mpg, but that was for just a couple of gallons topping off before a trip - much greater chance for error.

I run with 39 psi in my tires and use Mobil 1 0w-20 synthetic oil.

I am very happy with the highway number and don't think the Accord gives up much to the Fit there. The Fit would certainly do better in town, but I drive with a fair to moderate amount of hypermiling techniques.

For not much more than the Fit ($18,700 for an SE) I also recieved a nice center armrest, a height adjustable seat, a very smooth ride, 7.5 seconds to 60 mph, plenty of room for 5.

The Accord is not perfect, I would like to have the versatility of the Fit. Wish they made an Accord wagon (or even a Civic Wagon) with the flexibility of the Fit. While the Accord does handle well it does not match the tossability and nimbleness of the Fit.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage