General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Best to compare your Fit gas mileage to your old gas mileage. For example, I'm getting 35.3 mpg in my '07 fit driving the same way as when I got 24.1 in my '99 Taurus. The Fit is rated 31/37. The Taurus was rated 19/27. I don't know if the EPA '07 and '99 EPA methods are the same, but you can see the results.

Last edited by boris17; 12-11-2006 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Well, well :)

On Saturday I had to go and pick up a parcel which meant a 120 mile round trip. On the way back I decided I'd had enough of tootling along at 70mph like a good little boy (plus the traffic was getting heavier so I felt less exposed). I ended up driving most of the way back at between 80mph and 90mph.

When I got home the amber fuel warning light was on so I filled up expecting something pretty awful. The dash display had dropped from 47mpg to 44mpg. Anyway I ended up putting 32.7 litres in for 317 miles. That's 44mpg (UK) which is very good considering the drive back and actually agrees with the dash display.

Watching the dash display on the drive into work this morning (cold, very wet, quite windy, dark) I was amazed to see the mpg reading climbing steadily. By the time I arrived at work it was showing 52mpg and that despite being trapped at a roundabout by some stupid HGV driver that seemed to be waiting for a royal invitation to pull out. Judging from the way it was climbing (2mpg per adjustment) I'm expecting it to reach or pass 55mpg by the time I get home.

The car has done just over 1700miles so either it's just broken in or my highspeed dash back home on Saturday knocked some sense into it.

On a related note I was very impressed with it's motorway performance. I had thought it'd be a bit poor but it isn't. Jam your foot down at 70mph and it offers quite respectable performance. Seems like the owners manual is right though. It refused to go above 99mph. Then again that's the point where UK police officers stop turning a blind eye and start handing out insta-bans

Old 12-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by w1ndex
Personally my gas mileage was great, even with a CAI, header and exhaust I was still getting 35-38 mpg, I got some Drifz 17" wheels, and it dropped to 30-31. I got some light weight 17" Motegi Traklights and now I'm back up to 36 the last tank. If you do decide to get wheels, definately go for light weight, leave the heavy wheels to the people with torque and hp to spare, like a turbo diesel truck =)
im thinking of getting a set of 15 or 16 inch rims for the fit

from the tire rack upgrade garage ive narrowed it down to these two products (im probably going to pick neither of them and choose something myself but w/e)

one's a 15x6.5 with +40mm offset and weighs 17.0lbs and the other's a
16x17 in +45 mm offset that's 17.2 lbs

the 15 incher is made in china but the 16 incher is made in south korea (the 15 inch is cast while the 16 is LP cast/shotpeened) i have no idea what LP cast is but i know shotpeening increases the strength

anyways i was just wondering how light are your "lightweight" wheels

Old 12-11-2006, 06:43 PM
I got about 27 mpg...... had ran 2300 miles so far......

Last edited by fitfitfit; 12-11-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:21 PM
ive filled up my tank about 4-5 times. i have about 1300 miles on it.

my first time, i avg'd 31mi for the tank.
the next time, it was 30 mi.
next time, was a half tank
next after that, 28 mi
after that 29 mi

the first couple tanks, there was lots of traffic when i drove.
now, i drive 30/70 city higway respectively.
and my gas mileage has been getting worse.

the funny thing is, i have been driving it more and more like a baby in the last month and the gas is only getting worse!

i have a sport auto.

i put in chevron today, cause ive heard of better mileage out of it.
i also heard mileage increases with age and i hope thats true, but i dont think its going to be.

i think honda really screwed us over

Old 12-12-2006, 05:44 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by choiboyogg
the funny thing is, i have been driving it more and more like a baby in the last month and the gas is only getting worse!

i have a sport auto.

i put in chevron today, cause ive heard of better mileage out of it.
i also heard mileage increases with age and i hope thats true, but i dont think its going to be.

i think honda really screwed us over
Maybe not. Try taking it out and burning half a tank at the highest speed/loading that you feel safe doing. Since it's 60mile/80mph dash my car has continued to give better milleage. It went from 1600 miles to 1700 over the weekend and either it's got some kind of break-in 'self control' programmed into the EMU that has switched off or else the speed/load loosened it up.

Given the wintry conditions here (I commute in the dark in both directions) it's current dash display of 52mpg is fantastic. Even if as I wrote earlier it is overstating it a corrected figure would still be 46mpg (UK) which is very good.

Of course my Jazz is only 1339cc and the US ones (I think) are 1.5l so I doubt many of you will match my fuel consumption anyway.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:30 PM
sorry to bust ur bubble andrue but alot of guys in the US have gotten 40+ mpg (us gallons) this translates to well into the 50s in uk mpgs

i myself have only gotten up to 38 or 39mpg us gallons, i blame the cold weather and winter formulated gas for my recent dips in economy

Old 12-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Check my sig. Filled up last night. 89oct doesnt do any good for mpg, or power at that.

I thought my mpg was going to be horrible; judging by my miles on the tank (294.4) but it wasnt too bad.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
sorry to bust ur bubble andrue but alot of guys in the US have gotten 40+ mpg (us gallons) this translates to well into the 50s in uk mpgs

i myself have only gotten up to 38 or 39mpg us gallons, i blame the cold weather and winter formulated gas for my recent dips in economy
Oh hey, I'm pleased for you. Very pleased. Plus if the 1.5l can get that presumably my poor little 1.3 can do even better

Old 12-14-2006, 12:08 PM
so far so good.

I got 31.4mpg on my first tank. and that was the full tank from the dealer, which the car had 11miles on it when i drove it off. on second tank today i got 34mpg. lets see whats next. i had a 95 civic 1.5dx and it always averaged 33.5-35mpg so if i can get the same with this car great.. if more than even better.. lovin my fit..

Old 12-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Eww, just got 27.4mpg.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:27 PM
Yay! Filled up today and although the dash display shows 49.5 my own fill to fill calculation shows 51mpg (42 US). Considering it's been cold, windy then very foggy and all my driving has been done in the dark that's excellent.

Got a couple of long trips over Christmas so it might loosen up a bit more yet.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
This current tank seems good. 90miles and Im almost at the 3/4's mark. I have a feeling it'll be good.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
This current tank seems good. 90miles and I'm almost at the 3/4's mark. I have a feeling it'll be good.
as a rough calculation, you need to hit 100 miles for each 1/4 tank of gas to get 40mpg.... really hard to do.

first 1/4 tank is easy to do, but gets more difficult the lower you drop on the gauge, so if you don't have at least 100-125 during your first 1/4 tank, you will not hit 40 mpg.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:57 AM
auto versus manual for gas

I have read through most of the large gas mileage post and am hopelessly lost--some folks do and some do not post what type of car they have, auto or man.

For clarification, since I was at the dealer yesterday and am about to order a fit--for the better gas mileage, do I want the manual or auto tran--will it make that big of a difference? I am getting the sport model, I do need the cruise, as I have about a 35 mile commute to and from work.

Thanks--I don't want to regret my purchasing an auto if the manual makes that big of a difference. We are getting this vehicle primarily for the better mpg.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:50 PM
I drive a manual transmission fit. So far I've posted fairly decent gas mileage. A rough estimate would be consistently in the 30+mpg range. With regards to the auto vs manual gas mileage debate, I would say that gas mileage has a lot more to do with your driving habits. If you like flooring it, your gas mileage will suffer no matter what type of transmission you have. Keep in mind that the Fit is a light car with a small 1.5L engine so if you're moving from a bigger car to the Fit, you'll save $$$ on gas anyways I'd go with what your needs are when choosing between auto/manual. If you want more "fun" go for the manual. If you're stuck in a lot of stop and go traffic, go auto.

Good luck!

Old 12-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by fliggie
I have read through most of the large gas mileage post and am hopelessly lost--some folks do and some do not post what type of car they have, auto or man.

For clarification, since I was at the dealer yesterday and am about to order a fit--for the better gas mileage, do I want the manual or auto tran--will it make that big of a difference? I am getting the sport model, I do need the cruise, as I have about a 35 mile commute to and from work.

Thanks--I don't want to regret my purchasing an auto if the manual makes that big of a difference. We are getting this vehicle primarily for the better mpg.
Manual transmission Fits seems to be averaging about 5 more MPG more than the Automatics. After 4500 miles our AT Sport is averaging 30-31 MPG in 50/50 city/hwy mixed driving. This is with pure gasoline and not the 10% ethanol common in some parts of the country. You gas mileage will definitely be better with a MT Fit, but if you do a lot of city or stop and go driving you may not enjoy it as much. Both are a lot of fun to drive so you won't go wrong either way.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fliggie

In most areas of the country the FIT Sport in auto is much more available than the Sport in manual transmission. So if you do decide you want the automatic then it's less of a wait and you get a greater selection of possible colors. If you want a manual transmission you might have to take any color or wait a very very long time- depends how many others are also waiting for the manual transmission in your area. Searching widely does help to expand you chances.

With a long commute and with cruise control you should do fine with the automatic transmission about 32 to 34 mpg depending on your speed and how much heavy traffic you get on your commute.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:05 PM
I do not drive in and out of heavy traffic, but there is some stop and go at the beginning and end of my trip, when I come off the interstate. I am confused about the paddle shifters, etc...how they affect gas mileage. Might need to get a Honda Fit for Dummies manual at this point...

Old 12-29-2006, 11:13 PM
I have a 5spd Sport I do about 65 miles per day 80% on the hwy(60-75 mph) and I get about 33 mpg now. I was getting 36 mpg when the car was new I not sure why.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage