General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 08:37 PM
just a personal observation and the only justification for a 13 mpg increase going from one tankful to the next, at least in my case. I know for a fact i hadn't tightened the cap enough to hear a click the first time and my commute is always pretty much the same. and no sensor came on to indicate an open cap... all things equal except for the gas cap. anyway, it's something that might help to be aware of for those getting really low mpgs.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:19 AM
i got 33mpg on the last tank with 80% highway 20% city with highway speeds in excess of 140kph that's about 87mph and near stop and go city

this time i hvnt filled up yet but im at about 240km and close to half a tank, from experience i can tell id be at 250km or 260km at the halfway mark which indicates 20L on my fit (again from experience) this nets out to 30mpg, this is with near 100% highway and again with average speeds in excess of 140kph

it's so wierd cuz when i average 120kph i get 33mpg and when i go 110-100 kph (dangerously slow on the 401 in canada) i get about 35-36mpg. With only two tanks of data i cant conclude anythign but fuel consumption pretty much stays within the 32-36mpg mark when you dont use vtec (nothing past half throttle acceleration, and no passing 3400rpm EVER)

id like to get some data for just 100kph cruising but i've yet found a stretch of road where i can do this safely for a long enough distance for it to be a good indication of anything.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1

id like to get some data for just 100kph cruising but i've yet found a stretch of road where i can do this safely for a long enough distance for it to be a good indication of anything.
On one commute from Kitchener to Sudbury and then back again, roughly 1000km, I averaged close to 48.75 mpg (yes US gallons) when going exactly at the speed limit which consisted of 100km/h on the 401 and 400, and then 90 to 80 km/h on highway 69)

Old 11-27-2006, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blinky
On one commute from Kitchener to Sudbury and then back again, roughly 1000km, I averaged close to 48.75 mpg (yes US gallons) when going exactly at the speed limit which consisted of 100km/h on the 401 and 400, and then 90 to 80 km/h on highway 69)
Wow, I knew that they most optimal speed for fuel usage is at around 88km/h (that's where the "highway" rating comes from) but this is impressive.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:02 AM
I've had my fit for almost 2 months (have about 2,500 miles on it), and I have yet to get more than 27 MPG (most of that being highway driving at under 65mph with zero cargo). VERY VERY VERY disappointing. I just don't get it...

Old 11-29-2006, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
Here is an interesting article about the change to the EPA mileage ratings coming for the 2008 model year. I will be interested to see what the Fit gets.

The Road To More Accurate Mileage Ratings
http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=6a3...e-8298f013ea17

Old 12-01-2006, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
Driving Style Sensitivity

My wife and I own a Fit Sport (AT). After 8 tanks, we are averaging 32.3 MPG. In the last three tanks, we have learned how sensitive our Fit is to the change in the driving style. We will keep watching it and report what we find out here, but here is what has recently happened.

My wife drove the first of the last three tanks. Her mileage, with 55% city and 45% highway approximately, was 29.6.

I, then, took over and drove in basically the same kind of condition. I got 34.0 MPG for the second of the last three tanks.

After that, for the most recent tankful, my wife got the Fit back and drove once again in the similar driving environment. She got 28.3 MPG, the worst ever for us.

We are willing to allow 1 or 2 MPG fluctuation for the weather and other variables like that day's traffic being slower than usual, etc. But my wife (grudgingly) and I (happily) could not help but notice that our Fit's mileage jumped 4.4 MPG as soon as I started driving, and dropped 5.7 MPG as soon as my wife got the Fit back.
The thing is that my wife is (she admits this) a typical on-the-accelerator-too-long-and-break-too-often-and-always-changing-speed-while-cruising type. Put it bluntly, even an Insight would get a low mileage with her. I, on the other hand, have always driven with saving fuel in mind.

However, the MPG's sensitivity to the driving style surprised us. We have owned a RAV4 and a Forester, and observed that about 2 MPG is lost in each of these vehicles when my wife drives. But 5.7? Whoa!

My wife, feeling ashamed, has promised to "learn to drive" the Fit, and we are thinking about getting a ScanGauge in order to help both of us manage the pedal work better.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Must be nice.. I'm getting on the low end 25.2mpg and the highest I have EVER gotten has been 30.2. I average about 27mpg. Bearing in mind this is 90% highway traffic at 75-80mph. 38psi in the tires too. I also have had to pop on a new set of front brake pads at 18K already. OEM ones appear to be made out of a nice soft Motzarella... But Honda says they go back and forth every few years between soft and hard pads as customers complain about noise or longevity. $20 at AutoZone and I now have new harder pads.
Now, if they have something for the milage...

oh it's an AT5 Sport.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
jacksan1 brings up an excellent point. In the Hybrid (Civic and Prius) forums, they notice that when the wives drive thier cars, MPG usually goes down. What does this mean??? Driving habits of women tend to use a bit more gas as they aren't concerned about wringing the very last MPG out of each drop of gas. Most men seem to want to "toy" with the car and see if they can improve the mileage.

It all breaks down to learning to drive the car differently if you want to see higher MPG figures. I've learned to pop the car into neutral when I can and let it coast for improved mileage and also have learned to keep A/C use to a minimum. I average in the high thirties and on several occasions in the low forties per gallon. When I first bought the car and drove it like a sports car, I was getting 33-36 mpg in my base manual FIT.

I've also noticed the transmission is geared quite "sporty" which is what I feel gives the car that fun to drive feeling of always wanting to "go". I think they chose that gearing for the American market's appetite for speed and flash over better overall gas mileage. IIRC, the automatic transmission gear ratios are even "sportier" which is what I feel is responsible for the low MPG figures those cars are seeing.

Last edited by kkim; 12-01-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
Driving habits of women tend to use a bit more gas as they aren't concerned about wringing the very last MPG out of each drop of gas. Most men seem to want to "toy" with the car and see if they can improve the mileage.
Whoa, you might be treading on dangerous waters here. I never said women suck at getting a good MPG. It's my wife who sucks at it. I claimed nothing else! Don't flame me, ladies in this forum!

Old 12-01-2006, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jacksan1
Whoa, you might be treading on dangerous waters here. I never said women suck at getting a good MPG. It's my wife who sucks at it. I claimed nothing else! Don't flame me, ladies in this forum!
LOL... chicken! I stand corrected... I should have written~ "Driving habits of most women tend to use a bit more gas..."

Old 12-02-2006, 02:24 AM
hmm I must not be most women then, being i average about 40 mpg even with the cold weather.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Talon
hmm I must not be most women then, being i average about 40 mpg even with the cold weather.
must not...

Old 12-02-2006, 09:07 AM
First tankful got over 34 MPG. Much better than my Jeep Wrangler.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
How one drives certainly makes a big difference in gas mileage results, and having followed my wife in my other car, I know she tends to accelerate faster and make quicker stops than I do -- I tend to coast to stop signs and am a relaxed driver (most of the time -- but there are exceptions of course).

Bear in mind though, there have been reports of variances in odometers that can help to explain differing consumption values reported, and without road tests on numerous identical vehicles, driven by the same person, it's difficult to get a realistic average. My brother logged 34 miles / gallon with his Versa and was unhappy, since he got about the same with his older Sentra before trading it in -- I told him that 34 was nothing to complain about and that although I have not checked yet, I feel that's about the top I will get with the Fit -- based on quick approx. calculations I've done.

Later,
Bill

Old 12-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Looks like the readout on the dash is woefully innaccurate. It's actually reading as if it were converting from UK to US gallons. Just filled up and after claiming 46.4 on a tank my own fill-to-fill test shows 39.5 (32US).

It's winter here but that's very dissapointing. I used to get that kind of figure from my Civic 1.6 five door and that was 4.5 years old.

I have only a few theories about this:

* I am a very efficient driver and at the end of the day reducing engine size just doesn't make much difference.

* I run climate control all the time. Maybe whatever slight gains I might get from the smaller engine are offset by the extra work (relatively) it has to do to run the compressor. Or another way of looking at it, maybe for a 1.6L engine the compressor can be run at idle speed whereas my 1.3L has to run above idle all the time.

* Maybe the engine just hasn't loosened up yet. I've only done about 1,500 miles so far.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
after 6k miles, it seems 26-27 mpg is about the norm. highest was almost 31 mpg, but lowest was 24. hilly so cal, hardly any freeway miles, some city stop and go. thats about 32 fillups, car had 500 mi when I bought it.
we drive it hard, find it fun to drive, and even tho fuel mileage seems to be lacking, we like it. I told my wife she no longer needed to keep track of mpg, after using 2 pages of a small notebook, it is what it is. I can only assume those that get 40mpg either live and drive in another world, and or the fuel they can buy has more punch than so cal mix we get.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
An update to my earlier "Driving Style Sensitivity" post. After getting the worst mileage thus far on our Fit, I asked my wife, who is the primary driver, to pay close attention to the way she drives, giving her a few tips. The most recent tank showed an improvement from 28.33 MPG to 29.61 MPG, a pickup of 4.5%, with no change in the driving pattern. In fact, it has become considerably colder since the prior tank, which in almost all cases causes the mileage to drop in any vehicle (due to the richer gas/air mix injection until the engine warms up), so my wife's Fit MPG has gone up in spite of the weather element because she has paid attention to how she is driving. Or so it seems. My wife recorded the exact same mileage, 29.6 MPG, three tanks ago when the temperature was at least 30 degrees F warmer. So we can speculate that she probably would have topped that figure in this most recent tankful had the weather been just as warm.

Our overall average MPG after 9 tanks is 31.89 MPG, with the high of 38.82 and the low of 28.33.

We will keep monitoring and report what happens here.

Last edited by jacksan1; 12-03-2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
My last two tanks hasn't been too good. 27 and 25 mpg. Traffic just stinks. Come to think of it, there was also a lot of wind and rain in the past week.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:07 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lot-o...QQcmdZViewItem

anyone tried these? i'm wondering what this would do, cause if it's magnatizing particulate in the line, wouldn't it cause a buildup of stuff?!

Quick Reply: Gas mileage