General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 07:35 AM
looking at the tach alone won't tell you if the vtec is "on", the most important thing i think would be light throttle and dont vary speed/throttle too much

hmm wonder if this is why I get some really high milage #'s when using the cruise control vs footing it without it.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Talon
hmm wonder if this is why I get some really high milage #'s when using the cruise control vs footing it without it.
I would think you would be able to get even higher mileage using your foot as the cruise doesn't care about throttle position and will increase/decrease any amount it thinks it needs to make a speed difference. With an "intelligent" foot, you can actually not press the pedal down as much to accomplish what the cruise is trying to do "right now". It's all about relearning how to drive for higher mileage.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:15 PM
I'd like to hear from more folks in the Phoenix, AZ area and what kind of mileage they're getting. My *best* has been 33mpg...I still can't figure out what the problem is; whether it's the gas, altitude, heat, sunspots or gamma rays. I know it's not a heavy foot.

bob

Old 11-16-2006, 05:32 AM
I don't know if it would alter anything.. (other than manual vs automatic which you can't change) but using cruise control. it seems that the tanks where I got extreme high mpg I was using my cruise control almost through the whole tank, high or low mph. the lower end mpg (and I'm talking lower in regards to what I was getting previously) was when I was not using it or barely using it. (maybe inconsistently using it would be a better term) Automatics may even work easier or better on cc, mainly cause you don't have to manualy shift.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:34 AM
I have over 8,000 miles on my base manual, rated in the top ten of autos sold in the US for gas mileage. I drive 80 pct freeway. Mileage is 37-38 if I keep it at 70 or less, 35-36 otherwise. Tires are at 38 front, 36 rear. Love this car.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
I called honda today to register my complaint of poor fuel economy.
I was told to take it to the dealer for fuel economy testing!
Anyone done this yet???

honda CSR couldn't explain how they do this, but apparently theres a testing
procedure at the dealership.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Mine isnt doing that bad. I dont really drive the car lightly and my first tank got 29.4mpg.
I need to put gas in her soon (today actually) and shes at 287miles.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Jimmy101
I called honda today to register my complaint of poor fuel economy.
I was told to take it to the dealer for fuel economy testing!
Anyone done this yet???

honda CSR couldn't explain how they do this, but apparently theres a testing
procedure at the dealership.
...my FORMER dealer service manager said that is what he expected. never heard anything about 'fuel economy testing'. That sounds like something that a shady dealer would charge you more for!

Old 11-16-2006, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Fuel Economy Testing?

Originally Posted by docjim2
...my FORMER dealer service manager said that is what he expected. never heard anything about 'fuel economy testing'. That sounds like something that a shady dealer would charge you more for!
I am not sure about the "fuel economy testing" per se, either. What the dealership can do is to check to see how lean or rich the fuel/air mix is. If the ECU is not programmed correctly to give the car a correct fuel/air mix, you may well be wasting gas. If so, a simple reset may fix it, or a ROM may have to be replaced. Dealerships should be able to do this, but probably not check the "fuel economy," as that requires quite a setup.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
Mine isnt doing that bad. I dont really drive the car lightly and my first tank got 29.4mpg.
I need to put gas in her soon (today actually) and shes at 287miles.
Funny - I just hit 280 as I arrived home, and the low fuel light just came on.

JonasM

Old 11-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Hahaa. Funny.
I ended up going 296miles till I gave in and added some gas.

30.3mpg. If I dont drive the car around for pleasure rather than driving places I NEED to go to one tank should last 2-4weeks.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
Hahaa. Funny.
I ended up going 296miles till I gave in and added some gas.

30.3mpg. If I dont drive the car around for pleasure rather than driving places I NEED to go to one tank should last 2-4weeks.
Ha! I beat you - 30.5 mpg

Of course, since the dealer filled up the original tank, I don't know how full it was, other than the needle was pretty much pegged. The next tank should be more accurate. I'll even make sure I fill up at the same pump.

(5-speed Sport)

JonasM

Last edited by JonasM; 11-17-2006 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
Hey guys/gals... it would help tremendously if you would add in addition to the MPG you're getting, the model and transmission type of your FIT.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:13 AM
I discussed the gas mileage with my dealer and the head mechanic. I was told that if it wasn't where I thought it should be after 5000 miles they'd "throw it on the computer" to check it out. Hmmmmm.....

bob

Old 11-17-2006, 08:38 AM
I've now had several tank fills and noticed some interesting behaviour on my 1.3CVT.

It gets its best milleage between 20 and 50mph as long as the lower speeds are constant. IOW toolting around town is very economical (in excess of 48mpg (US 39mpg) as long as it isn't stop and go.

On the open highway at speeds up to 60mph the figure is 46mpg (38).

Above 60 I haven't tried much but it seems to drop.

My daily commute is mostly open road or free flowing town driving. I usually hit 48mpg by the time I need to fill up.

On my week off I spent more time on the open road and when in town it was a bit stop and go. At the end of the week I averaged 45mpg.

OTOH after the last fill up I'm beginning to question the accuracy of the display. I filled up with it reporting 48.2. On the drive home (about 9 miles) it was oscillating. After one mile it reported 58mpg! One mile later, 34. Then 51, then 38. By the time I'd got home it was reporting 42 and in the week since (driving to work) has climbed up to 46.

It seems pretty obvious that the figure is based on <last known total before trip was reset> combined with <calculation from current trip> but the oscillation I don't understand. Hence I'm not sure I can trust that figure atm.

For reference I used to own a 1.6L Civic 5 door and I manually calculated that to around 42mpg. If I can't consistently get over 46mpg from this Jazz I'd consider that quite poor. Personally I was expect to average oveer 50mpg but that might be a little optimistic.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
Q's for you Fit owners that track your mpg on a regular basis...

1) Did you notice you're getting better mpg since your motor has "broken in?"
2) Have you noticed any differences in mpg by using regular 87 octane vs 89 octane (with less than 10% ethanol)?

Last edited by Bounty Hunter; 11-19-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Like I said. Ive only gone through 2 tanks (almost 7xx miles on the car)
and Im in the 30mpg range. My current tank Im driving the car lightly. My first 2 I was driving the car hard, with NO AC also. Im using the AC as much as possible know. I think Im at 153miles and Im in between 1/2 and 2/4's tank. Doesnt seem to be that good but you never know until the light comes on. And I still drive a good amount after the light comes on. I noticed the needle jump up after driving with the light on. Guess a reserve tank kicked in?

It is really hard to drive this car slow. Its not too bad moving around town with light pedal pressure but the car needs at least 50% pedal pressure to move around nicely.

Bounty Hunter, my next tank Im going to use 89 octane. Im currently using 87. I'll post it up. BUT, I'll have a CAI by my next tank.

Last edited by Raaaaaaaaaay.; 11-19-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter

2) Have you noticed any differences in mpg by using regular 87 octane vs 89 octane (with less than 10% ethanol)?
Here is a link to my mileage tracking since I got the Fit. You'll notice the jump on the last one. This was my test tank.

http://egadgetgeek.net/fit/fuel_economy.htm

All my driving has been in West Central Ohio. My friend who works at the engine plant here in Ohio said that drastic weather changes will effect mileage. I noticed on my first tank of gas I was getting, what seemed to be, great mileage then a cold front moved through and I got only 30 miles out of the last 1/4 of a tank. Since then I have notice a dip everytime a cold front comes through and here in Ohio that is about every 4 days it seems like. All I know is, it beats the heck out of the 21mpg I use to get with my Intrepid.

Last edited by eGadgetGeek; 11-20-2006 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter

1) Yes, I started out getting about 34.5 mpg and it has increased since it's broken in better. Overall MPG: 37.2 combined city and Hwy. since the first oil change.
2) I only use 87 octane.

I have seen the same thing happen that eGadgetGeek has. When the weather gets cold (40 degrees F or less) the mpg drops. I'm going to remove the heatshield from my CAI today so it can get some warmer air from the engine compartment. I may even take one of the elbows out to make it a short ram CAI.

Here's the mileage that I started tracking AFTER the first oil change which was at about 6650 miles.

http://www.gasaroo.com/car.jsp?carId=17322

Old 11-20-2006, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
2hot6ft2, what percent oil life did you take yours in for the first oil change? I'm at 30% with 5,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage