General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
reaffirmed

Ok, last week I bought gas at Circle K and I only made it to 302 miles when I filled it up with 9.0 gallons. That's 33.56 mpg instead of my usual 38-40mpg when I use Chevron, BP, etc. The gas you put in your car really makes a big difference.

Old 10-30-2006, 05:27 PM
I've run three tanks through my new Jazz and right now it's parked in the garage with 48mpg (39.9 US) on the clock. I'm hopeful that in another thousand miles (especially on the other side of winter) I'll have cracked 50mpg.

Oh and this is the CVT-7 so it's certainly not as wasteful as a conventionl automatic

Old 10-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
WOW! just did an 8 hour vegas turn around trip from so cal. It was a great experience. averaged 40mpg there 42 mpg back Manual Sport. LOVE IT!

(we forgot some stuff for SEMA, so I volunteered to go )

Old 10-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
wow double poster, plz delete thi9s. thank you

Old 11-03-2006, 10:12 AM
still wondering when mine will get "good" milage. I have about 4,200 miles on the car and have only got 30 mpg once. the last two tanks were 29 each. I am driving about 75%city. Milage has been going up over time but s-l-o-w.

red sport auto

Old 11-03-2006, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Mine started getting better after 6000 miles

Old 11-03-2006, 10:27 AM
what is better? how much better did it get???

like the sport red, easy to find in parking lots!!

sport red at

Old 11-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Frank Patrick
Great Gas MPG-( 33+) but

Only wish it had a bit larger tank for better cruise range. Recognize the down side of this also, but a range of 400miles would be nice.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by petro
what is better? how much better did it get???

like the sport red, easy to find in parking lots!!

sport red at
See Post #1325 in this thread for detailed information on this.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:15 PM
I think i started a similar thread a very long time ago. Basically I was very unhappy with the mileage my Jazz was getting. I live currently in the Philippines. No matter what the dealers tried to do. The car would not exceed 10.5 km/l But they advertised it as getting at least 15 km/l. In fact at the Petron gas Stations they are claiming that one of their cars is getting something like 1,500+ km per tankfull!
Well I never got anywhere near that. They had me do all sorts of tests regarding filling the damn gas tank to the point of overflow etc....
They put a factory meter on the car to see what it got in teh real world and the meter wasn't calibrated so it was reading 17-20 km/l and yet somehow we nearly ran out of gas in much less time which matematically worked out to about 10 km/l due to the fact that there was 3 techs in the car with me.
Aicon always on but set to the lowest setting and a manual 1.3l, on pretty flat roads with a moderate mount of potholes but very few hills. Traffic was usually light-moderate and sometimes Heavy but I avoided driving in heavy traffic most of the time.
The Jazz/Fit does not really get good economy and when I sold the car due to moving to the other side of the country it had about 6,000km on it.
Where I moved I needed a bigger vehicle and better ground clearance. So I bought a double Cab Toyota Hilux base model with a 2.7 litre diesel.
The roads here are mostly flat I use the aircon a bit more and will usually be standing parking with the aircon on and mostly city driving and my best so far is 15 km/l with Caltex diesel fuel. I'm up to 3,000km on the clock and depending on how long I park with the engine running up to 20 mins quite often. I find my economy will be about 14km/l.
I want to point out this is a pretty damn big truck with enough room for 5 adults to sit comfortably as well as a pickup bed about 4 feet long or so.
i drive in just as much traffic and my economy is better than with the Jazz!
Ok I know diesel is better on economy but my Jazz only got about 12 km/l on a long highway trip. I can easily get 18km/l on a highway trip with the Hilux.
I like the design of the jazz and think it would be great if they released a diesel model here in the Philippines but there no way I will believe that their gas model is an economy car. from what I have seen many others have concerns about the economy as well.
I'm not trashing the Jazz, it's a great car and fun to drive and very practical but Honda seriously needs to get the economy up to their advertised 15km/l.
In fact it should be even higher than that many cars can easily get that. But under 25 mpg in the city is a joke for a car designed specifically to be driven in the city and touted as a great economy car.
A diesel jazz might solve that problem.
Oh and in the time I owned it I never had a single complaint except about the fuel economy.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SteveCebu
I'm not trashing the Jazz, it's a great car and fun to drive and very practical but Honda seriously needs to get the economy up to their advertised 15km/l
Id like to point that it is not HONDA who is saying MPG should be XX, it is the Federal Govt, at least here in the states. A lot of people I know believe that the auto mfgr is the one who is saying XX car is estimated to get XX mpg, but in the US it is the EPA, which has absolutely nothing to do with the mfgr. Granted their testing methods may be flawed....

Old 11-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Well I will say this, we don't have EPA anything in the Philippines and the Jazz has been out here for a lot longer than in the USA.
I was assured by the dealership that it did in fact get about 15km/l in the city. They really did try to help me get it fixed but gave up after a while. he crazy stuff they had me do to increase economy was quite laughable, such as shaking the car while filling it up at the gas station.
I have never seen or met anyone who actually got EPA figures in the real world.
I also see that many many people think they ought to be getting better economy with their Jazz/Fit.
Here they advertise how great it's economy is and have signs at all the petron gas stations showing mileage that is quite incredible, if I had gotten half of that I'd have been real happy.
I don't know what the Fit is advertised as getting in the USA as I haven't been back there for quite afew years. But when you consider what I am driving now and how huge it is it does make me wonder why Honda can't get the economy up. Because other than that it's a fantastic little car.
I also drove the older CVT tranny cars and still think I can shift it faster than the CVT as far as performance but the CVT is a nice setup. I tested bot going up a fairly steep mountain and then in places on the mountain that were even steeper. No problem in the manual 1.3L and the CVT 1.5L was quite powerful. The 1.3L CVT was far too slow tho.
No idea on economy on the hills.
One of my friends here has a 1.5L Kia somethingorother and it's a 4 door sedan and he was getting 12km/l and this was in heavy city driving. I drove in lighter traffic and got worse than he did. I think they make all that power at the expense of the economy. I had a Geo metro years ago the high mileage model and it simply blew away the figures on the Jazz, at least until you put the aircon on.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ToyFit
My daily commute consist of 100% city driving during rush hour to and from metro station. 75-80% of the time on the road, the Fit Sport gets stuck in stop and go traffic. So, 25 to 26 mpg isn't all that bad. If I did indeed went with a WRX as planned instead of the Fit Sport, I highly doubt I could get near 20 mpg. After all, my old sub-compact with 2.0L engine could barely do 20-21 mpg in exactly the same situation.
If you're stuck in traffic, get used to driving in S mode. This will save you tons of gas as your engine wont be shifting back and forth so much.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:59 PM
I read that the electronic drive by wire system hooked up to the throttle is set up to deliver more power(fuel) if you only give it a little amount on the pedal to give it the hyped "Peppy Go Zippy" feel.

This makes sense to me now that I think about it. Even driving what used to be small pressure on the pedal makes the fit get up and go a lot quicker than my old civics.

Power delivery must me programmed more abrupt earlier and more exponetially than on previous cable driven throttles. I guess taking the term "light footed" would be hard to do as us Fit drivers.

In the meantime I will find the info that mentions they are tuned this way.

That and vtec uses a butt load more fuel at 3800 and up. Freeway driving is always running in fuel enriched vtec above 70 or so.

Last edited by jits14; 11-08-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
bobthenuke, I am so thankfull I consistanly get at least 33 mpg. I really expected 40mpg . I was doing backflips when I reached the 46.4.... my most common hwy mileage is 38mpg. Well I hope the same results for you.... Sometimes I wonder why I did not buy a toyota. My mom has a corolla that is an automatic that gets 40 mpg around town driving. not city.... It is the 4 door modle that seems to be bigger then a Fit in some ways

Last edited by big Fit; 11-09-2006 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
My site has started collecting real-world fuel economy data. The numbers for the Fit look good to me so far, but just a few submissions so far. From what I've read in this thread, many people are getting well under 30.

Honda Fit Fuel Economy

My survey does ask about the heaviness of one's right foot. I suspect there will be lower numbers once the "lead foots" weigh in.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by jits14
That and vtec uses a butt load more fuel at 3800 and up. Freeway driving is always running in fuel enriched vtec above 70 or so.
I have to say I don't think this is the case. I doubt the second intake valve engagement point is locked to RPM parameter alone...I'll bet it is a function of several engine parameters including load. So at cruise throttle, even at those higher speeds, I'll bet it isn't engaged...just a guess though.

Your other point about the drive-by-wire is pretty much dead on though...I notice the same thing. Its actually laughable...it has great torque and response at throttle tip-in to mid-throttle, it makes you think, "The more I push down on the pedal, it will get even better"....and then you do, and nothing changes!

So far, I get close to 35 mpg with a 50/50 mix of driving with the AT.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
I posted in another thread about some research I did in Consumer Reports. I discovered that the Toyota Corolla with auto trans weighs 2595 lbs, compared to the Fit with auto trans at 2535 lbs. Corolla gets almost the same MPG as the Fit, but is way quicker in the 1/4 mile (17.5 seconds at 82 MPH). The Corolla has an 1800 cc motor with 126 HP. I'd think the Fit with the same size motor would get better MPG, not to mention better performance. OK, everyone send 5 million e mails to Honda and ask them to put the Civic motor in it.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:50 AM
ok this is really wierd

i do a lot of highway commuting travelling between school and home every weekend (it's about 500km round way) and i always manage to make the entire trip plus a lil bit of city commuting within one tank of gas (usually only fill in 34-36 litres

the best tank ive gotten is 39 mpg with the most common being 34-36 mpg

about 2 tanks ago i was shocked at how the trip meter only read 250km at the halfway mark on the fuel gauge (usually it hits 280-300 atleast), this was with more or less constant speed of 120kph (varying between 100-120kph) with only a few kilometers worth of city driving

the next time i made the same trip i travelled at more or less 140km/h the entire way and surprise surprise, 245km at the halfway mark on the fuel gauge. i believe the fit is really sensitive to changes in the throttle which would explain why i got more or less the same mileage driving 140kph and 120kph (while varying speed)

on my next trip i'm going to try and travel at a lower speed (100kph) and see how it affects my mileage

the 39mpg tank interestingly was a mix of 60% highway and 40% city while all my other tanks which were all below 37mpg were around 80% highway 20% city

Old 11-11-2006, 12:56 AM
oh and as for the vtec activation point

the computer measures a number of variables and parameters to determine when to activate it, obvious factors are rpm, throttle position, and oil pressure

the activation point varies between 2000 odd rpms and 3500

since engines are programmed to run as close to stoichemtric as possible moving into the vtec range could increase fuel consumption quite a bit since the flow increases dramatically with the second valve actuating

looking at the tach alone won't tell you if the vtec is "on", the most important thing i think would be light throttle and dont vary speed/throttle too much

Quick Reply: Gas mileage