General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:35 AM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by roenyc
I need to accelerate when the light changes, meaning the rpms goes up to 4000, nothing i can do about it - the car doesn't move quick enough and i lag behind the pack if i dont.?
I'm often chomping at the bit waiting for the f-- a-- in front of me to hurry up, but I rarely go much above 2000rpm in traffic, and get 40mpg.

i think the agency that figures gas mileage isn't doing their job either.
Same story; the EPA tests give the illusion that automatic transmissions are nearly as efficient as standard.

But American car buyers want automatics, and sometimes you just have to give people what they want, good and hard.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Both of my other cars are manual and with the increased traffic here I thought it would be time for an auto. I just can't imagine that it makes that much difference unless there's something wrong with it.

But gas mileage...I had to leave my Fit for a day while they were fixing some trim on it and the dealer rented me one of those little Chevy things...Avio or something like that. I had to replenish the gas I used, and after driving it 24 miles it took a half gallon to bring it back to where it was. This was a brand new car will less than 150 miles on it. So now I don't believe that it's just the gas here that's the problem. My fit is *still* getting less than 25 mpg no matter what I do with it. Now that it's cooler I've stopped using the A/C and that seems to make no difference at all. Starting to think again about selling it.

bob

Last edited by bobthenuke; 10-17-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:07 PM
I personally think the Fit is underpowered and the engine has to work too hard; consequently gas mileage suffers. My 06 Civic Si is driven hard and during my daily commute is terrible stop and go traffic and I'm getting a solid 30 mpg. With my Si it has enough power to push the car down the road, but listening to all these posts I am convinced the Fit just does not have enough power for traditional American driving. I would be willing to bet that the Fit with the K swap gets great mileage. I drive my Si hard and still get 30 mpg, and am so glad I wnet with the Si instead of the Fit. I do so like the idea of a subcompact such as the Fit, the styling, roominess, and the price are all awesome selling points however it appears American Honda has seen that something must be done about the mileage. I have heard of some sort of legal matter involving the sub-stated MPG of the Fit.

GWD

Old 10-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by guywdog
I personally think the Fit is underpowered and the engine has to work too hard; consequently gas mileage suffers. My 06 Civic Si is driven hard and during my daily commute is terrible stop and go traffic and I'm getting a solid 30 mpg. With my Si it has enough power to push the car down the road, but listening to all these posts I am convinced the Fit just does not have enough power for traditional American driving. I would be willing to bet that the Fit with the K swap gets great mileage. I drive my Si hard and still get 30 mpg, and am so glad I wnet with the Si instead of the Fit. I do so like the idea of a subcompact such as the Fit, the styling, roominess, and the price are all awesome selling points however it appears American Honda has seen that something must be done about the mileage. I have heard of some sort of legal matter involving the sub-stated MPG of the Fit.

GWD
First I would love to see a Fit SI or similar concept.

But I question what you mean by 'driving hard' and still getting 30 mpgs. Perhaps that 6th gear is the magic?

I drive my Fit reasonably 'hard' and still get 35 mpgs and it is an Auto. Won't argue about the lack of power though...mid throttle runs at lower speeds can be deceptively 'peppy'...continue to push RPM and step on the gas all the way...NO CHANGE! It feels like this engine is choked up top.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by guywdog

GWD
This is actually against all known engine theory. Engines are more efficient when they work harder, up to a certain point of course.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
I don't find the Fit underpowered, and I'm driving the 5 speed automatic. I have no problems zipping around town, and on the highway, it just seems to want to go -- I have trouble keeping it at the speed limit, the thing just loves to cruise it seems, and before I know it, I find I'm humming along at 120 K (our speed limit here is 100 k on most highways).

I imagine, it's a lot more responsive with the manual tranny, but hey! This is not meant to be a high performance competition car, it's meant to be a fuel efficient handy vehicle, and it does that exceptionally well as far as I'm concerned. Sure I can blow it's doors off with my Accord, but why would I want to?

Consumption figures are always off the mark form the EPA or Transport Canada figures and that's understandable given how they do the tests, but results from car review TV shows (e.g Motorweek) give people real world results and state combined highway and city driving at 36 US mpg, and that's pretty darn good, and far better than what I used to get with my old Chevy Lumina. The Versa I believe was rated by them at 35 US mpg combined, and given that it has more HP, that was great too.

But, cars like this are not for every one, and that's fine too!

Later,
Bill

Old 10-21-2006, 12:49 AM
I just filled up for the first time. I got 30.8 miles per gallon. I did top it off after leaving the dealer to make sure it was full. I went 284 miles and it took 9.244 gallons to fill. Car has about 300 miles on it. 50% city, 50% highway. I'll switch to synthetic oil once it is due for a change and see if that help. Hope to get a couple mpg after it gets some more miles on it.

Old 10-21-2006, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
the way the epa measures mpg in america is different than other countries measurements.

for example, in the UK, a car that gets 30mpg will get better mileage on the US system, because an Imperial (UK) gallon is greater than a US gallon (1 US gallon = 1.20 Imperial gallons)

Old 10-21-2006, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting that the gearing is so different.

Weight makes a difference
Lower speed limits make a difference
Who is doing the testing and numbers makes a difference
CVT makes a difference

What about tire sizes? Narrow tires offer less rolling resistance.

In any case we have our US version and that is what we have to work with no matter what.

I'm happy we have something... finally.

This may all be mute if there is a future FIT hybrid. Figure maybe 60+ mpg.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
After reading all the controversy about going up over 32 psi, I raised air pressure to 34 psi. I'd been consistently getting just over 30 mpg keeping it at 32, but after the increase, the last two tankfuls, same type of driving (commuting in heavy traffic, mixed highway and local) produced about 32.5 mpg. I tried to be consistent with everything else, including driving habits.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:04 PM
still don't understand why milage is so low. consevative driver, city driver, but so are lots of others who are getting 30+

tank fillups and milage
1 29.1 mpg
2 25
3 29.8
4 26.3
5 26.9
7 28
8 28
9 28
10 26
11 24.8
12 29
13 26.1
14 26.4
15 28.7
16 29.9
17 30.7
18 24.9
19 27.8

did idle adjust and tires are at 36psi
red sport with auto........

Old 10-24-2006, 12:22 PM
yeah you would think that a ca this small and small engine that 35 plus should not be a problem even 40 plus. I mean if I spend a few thousand more I can get a mid size that offers 30 mpg. does not make sense and is a honda let down My del sol vtec which I never drive easily is always a consistant 38 plus. Milano red m/t 3300 miles

Old 10-24-2006, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
It's pretty insane how people are barely hitting 30 mpg. My last tank I had 38.9mpg. I would suggest people, if they can, to rev higher before shifting. You may be working the car harder shifting at lower rpms. You don't want to shift into the next gear only having to add even more gas to get it moving.

I have hit around 29mpg once, but I was driving highway when it was very windy and raining. The rest of the time have been 35-41mpg. I would estimate I get 38mpg on average when I drive 80% highway and 20% city.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Just tested how 'aggressive' driving affects my mileage over the last 2 tanks.

Shifting at: 2100-2300 rpm: 29 MPG, 100% city
Shifting at: 2700-2900 rpm: 22 MPG

Old 10-24-2006, 04:53 PM
well ive had 2 fits in 3 months (1st got totaled, just purchased new one)

1st Fit was a Sport Auto....during break in it got about 30 mpg.....after a couple thousand miles i was hitting 33+ easy. and on a nice trip to vegas i saw 42mpg.

2nd Fit is a Sport Manual. first tank and i already saw 34 mpg (all city and traffic jammed freeways). so yeah itll get your mpg's you were promised if you dont hang out at redline all day long.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
acceleration

Ok, well try slower acceleration and higher rpm.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
I'd like to point out that if you accelerate slow enough, the automatic will naturally shift at a low point. Which is exactly how I 'achieved' 29 MPG (as an aside, the Canadian mileage estimates are something like 29 city/40 highway in US gallons)

My trip to work now: 16 km,
7 stop signs
24 traffic lights that will turn red, and around 10 that don't usually
hmm.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:52 PM
Throttle position matters more than rpms. Flooring it at low rpm uses a lot more gas than barely pushing the throttle at high rpm.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
There appears to be a different result in mpg at least between these two drivers as my wife and I switch off between the Fit and another vehicle. We have similar commutes and fill-up the tank before switching. So far she gets 40-42mpg and I get 36-38mpg. She rightly claims that I "rev it too high" and it apparently is keeping my mileage lower. Oh, well, some habits are hard to break.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:19 AM
My mileage

I've been getting really good mileage, like 6-7.0 litres per 100 km. Mixed City and highway.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage