General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
http://www.teamdelsol.com/technical/techstuff/vtec/

First off, let's talk about what VTEC is NOT.

VTEC is NOT "V-tec", "V-TEC", "V-tech", "V-TECH", "VTECH", "V-TEK", "vtech", "vtec", "vortech", "Vtec", or "Vtech". It's CAPITAL VTEC. No dashes, no lower case, no extra letters, no anything other than the correct and only spelling of VTEC. If you cannot respect the technology and simply use the correct spelling, you do not deserve what it gives you.

A 2 year old could spell it - it's just basic ABCs. Capital V Capital T Capital E and Capital C. That's it. This misspelling is something that is becoming more and more prevalent as Honda trickles this technology to all models and more people buy cars utilizing VTEC technology. It's my number one biggest pet-peeve. I am now seeing it in magazines articles, personal Web sites, across people's windshields, on Message Boards, company Web sites, and even PRODUCT ADVERTISEMENTS by companies who MAKE products for the VTEC! Heck, I've even seen it on the side of a professional import racer's car - someone who has been doing this for a long time and runs in the 10's. They get a lot of press and magazines print a lot of pictures. It surprises me that no one has told this person that the side of their car says "1.8L V-TEC". Uh, HELLO?!?!?!?!?!? And millions of people read these magazines that have the pictures of this car, and suddenly think Honda has some sort of new technology. Anyways, enough with the soapbox talk, let's get on with it. Just remember, it's spelled VTEC and only VTEC.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:18 AM
I have only used Chevron in my cars, but Exxon might be a change I'll make just to experiment.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:37 AM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
So what's this viteck stuff I keep reading about?

Old 09-21-2006, 01:40 AM
hey guys:

i managed to squeez out 367.5kms on a full tank(31.945litres)...
can someone please do the math for me and tell me what mileage im getting if i got those figures.

thanks all

Old 09-21-2006, 02:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2hot6ft2
I have done other things that may have also helped like putting 1/2 bottle of "Lucas Injector Cleaner" in a couple times. You can get it at Wal-Mart or ANY auto parts store for about $4 for a small bottle 4.25oz that will treat up to 25 gallons so 1/2 bottle is good for 1 tank.
I hope you're kidding. Advising people to use fuel injector cleaner on a brand new car? The reason for bad MPG has nothing to do with the injectors. If you're having to use injector, it is an implication that the injectors are dirty or bad which should not be the case. If it were, you're better off taking your car into the dealer for a repair job. Injector cleaners = bad for o-rings.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:21 AM
27.06 mpg, or 8.69L/100km

Originally Posted by tershel
hey guys:

i managed to squeez out 367.5kms on a full tank(31.945litres)...
can someone please do the math for me and tell me what mileage im getting if i got those figures.

thanks all

Old 09-21-2006, 09:28 AM
kps
Originally Posted by tershel
i managed to squeez out 367.5kms on a full tank(31.945litres)...can someone please do the math for me and tell me what mileage im getting if i got those figures.
Tip: Google does calculations and unit conversions. For example: 367.5 km / 31.945 litres in miles per imperial gallon or 367.5 km per 31.945 litres in litres per 100km

Old 09-21-2006, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
....except everybody else here is using US gallon (except a few).

Replace imperial above with US

Old 09-21-2006, 11:03 AM
kps
Originally Posted by crimsona
....except everybody else here is using US gallon (except a few).
The poster who asked is in Canada, so I assume they're more familiar with regular gallons than those funny little American ones.
Replace imperial above with US
Or just remove 'imperial' altogether. Even google.ca defaults to US gallons, US dollars,.... I think I'll send them a bug report.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:50 PM
lismileyll:
WOW! I could almost see the veins standing out on his forehead!!

Old 09-21-2006, 02:52 PM
growingfamily: doesn't Chevron get a lot of their oil from Venesuela (?sp)?? Should we be supporting a dictator!
Eh, jus' a question

Old 09-21-2006, 02:54 PM
...and make them all speak English!
Uh I meant Canada not Venezuela!

Last edited by docjim2; 09-21-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by docjim2
growingfamily: doesn't Chevron get a lot of their oil from Venesuela (?sp)?? Should we be supporting a dictator!
Eh, jus' a question

Don't get me wrong. I am and like to be a US citizen (born like that)but, We also are living under a dictator. And the worst, a dictature shielded by oil money.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:59 PM
ha!

Originally Posted by carlosalicea
Don't get me wrong. I am and like to be a US citizen (born like that)but, We also are living under a dictator. And the worst, a dictature shielded by oil money.
And Herr Clinton was a saint?? The guy who was too afraid to capture Ben-Laden?
Hah! Hah! You know that the dems probably had their friends in Big Oil (yeah Gore was heavily invested in oil personally) bring down the price of oil and hence gasoline before the elections to make people think that Bush has control over Big Oil?
OOOPS!! This is a CAR discussion forum isn't it?!

Oh, I'm so sorry: Clinton was a DICK-tator wasn't he?!

Last edited by docjim2; 09-21-2006 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
Wink You should read the labels

Originally Posted by fm2n
I hope you're kidding. Advising people to use fuel injector cleaner on a brand new car? The reason for bad MPG has nothing to do with the injectors. If you're having to use injector, it is an implication that the injectors are dirty or bad which should not be the case. If it were, you're better off taking your car into the dealer for a repair job. Injector cleaners = bad for o-rings.
FYI Lucas lubricates the rings. And the service writer said to either use a quality fuel that contains cleaners such as Texaco or to use an injector cleaner once in a while. He proceded telling me of a customer that had repeatedly came in with sensor problems and with poor performance.

After replacing the sensor a few times they started talking to him about the fuel he was using and advised him to use a quality fuel that contains cleaners such as Texaco or to use an injector cleaner once in a while.

The customer did just that and hasn't had any more problems. So yes that is what I'm saying.

Lucas makes some excellent products. And I wouldn't just use ANY injector cleaner for the same reason you mentioned. The cheap ones tend to overlook the lubrication need of the rings and do cause more harm than good.

So good point. However I did not say to use just any cleaner. Just the Lucas brand injector cleaner.

Perhaps you're not familiar with their products http://www.lucasoil.com/ just in case you get a wild hair...lol.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by iismileyll
http://www.teamdelsol.com/technical/techstuff/vtec/

First off, let's talk about what VTEC is NOT.

VTEC is NOT "V-tec", "V-TEC", "V-tech", "V-TECH", "VTECH", "V-TEK", "vtech", "vtec", "vortech", "Vtec", or "Vtech". It's CAPITAL VTEC. No dashes, no lower case, no extra letters, no anything other than the correct and only spelling of VTEC. If you cannot respect the technology and simply use the correct spelling, you do not deserve what it gives you.
I always thought V tech was a school in Virginia - what is all this stuff about engines?

Go Hokies!

Old 09-21-2006, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry Im a bit late on this, but I dont understand the comparison with the Si at all. It in no way competes with the Fit.

1 - Its a much sportier car, w/ limited cargo capacity
2 - It has the lastest K20 variant motor, with newer/better technology than the ~5yr old motor in the Fit.
3 - The MSRP is over $7000 higher ($13,850 vs 21,090) so, you are PAYING for the technology that gives it higher horsepower w/still good economy.
4 - The Fit is still rated 10mpg better (almost 30%) higher in the city and 6mpg (~15%) hwy better that the Si. Forget all the "well on the forums blah blah blah", the ONLY 100% equal controlled conditions test done for milage has been done by the EPA (for right or wrong but thats all we have thats truly fair).
5 - The Si requires premium fuel, a significant increase in operating costs
6 - The Si has significantly higher insurance premiums.

The Si is a great car, no doubt, but for many people, actually inferior to the Fit bc of space, milage, and price.

Last edited by Jetydosa; 09-22-2006 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:55 AM
Jetydosa - Well put!

Old 09-22-2006, 09:10 AM
docjim2 and carlosalicea, no matter what my political beliefs, we all have to use oil. Do you get your food at the grocery store? Do you drive to work? Are we supporting big oil, I don't think anyone has a choice in the matter. Take that how you want. In the mean time, docjim2, the discussion was about how to better our gas mileage, which in the grand scheme of things, will lessen some oil we use. Why do you think I drive a subcompact with 2 almost 3 children, instead of an SUV or a minivan?

Old 09-22-2006, 09:20 AM
face it all of our gas comes from a so called evil empire. (except the gas we get from Canada of course). BP gas is provided by Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and we all know what a sweet man he is.

We need gas - because we are dependant on it. so we buy it. i must admit i didnt buy a versa because it was made in mexico and i felt that it took away american jobs. Honda is just making their cars where they always have.

if we started to think about where our "stuff" was made, we wouldnt buy anything let alone gasoline. the entire country has been outsourced. what i do find amazing is that when i call honda i do get an american customer service agent and not someone on the other side of the globe!

so in closing i would just like to say i will be putting costo gas (i will never know what evil empire it comes from) into my VeEE- tech engine.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage