General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Just keeps getting better!

Haven't made any changes in driving habits or commute, but with the odometer over 9,000 now, I'm seeing steadily improving mpg. Best yet today after letting the tank run down and putting in 8.8 gal: 32.5 mpg. I'd been getting a disappointing 28 mpg on average up until the last few fillups. Starting at about 8,400 miles, the mpg has been rising steadily.

Old 09-15-2006, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Hot Gas

Originally Posted by ifitfitz
Balorn,
Thanks for this great article on Hot Fuel. I think it is worthy of its own thread, but am not sure how to set that up. What a revelation. Makes a lot of sense.
Ditto -- thanks! I shared it at work and even e-mailed my Senator, including an excerpt from the article.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:53 AM
yes, it doesnt look like this car likes the city. how sad for me.

i have gotten 26 mpg recently my highest in the city due to driving without A/c blasting (its cooler out), trying really hard not to go over 2500 rpms, but its getting harder and harder to get my car to move at this point from a standstill to 30 without hitting 35-4000 rpms. (automatic trany) it needs an oil change (scheduled for wednesday)

I spend so much time watching my RPMs i am going to get killed because i will not have my eyes on the road. i wish i would have bought the standard car at least i would have had control. no =using this car as a standard does not work - its just back wards - perhaps if i never drove standard i could do it. but man i just keep looking for gears in all the wrong places.

also my car is idleling at 1000/rpm, is that normal? i seem to remember it idleling at o/rpm. look i know i am driving myself and you crazy, but if you only drove City like Marvin found out, its pretty sad to get an average of 21 mpgs.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
Yes the car idles at 900-1000 RPM, that should be the normal range.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:15 AM
A FYI to some of you that might be interested in increasing your mileage. Switching over to a FULLY Synthetic oil will help in higher MGP. Recently I talked to a person that has done extensive research and real world testing and his findins were dramatic. He choose to soley go with the "AMsOil" product. He found that he got at least 3 miles / gallon additionally out of each gallon with the use of AmsOil. And the Oil has a Very High change-out rate. It is a Super Endurance oil which is fully snythectic. Go check out their website and give them a try.

GWD

Old 09-17-2006, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Last night driving to London from Manchester (approximately 230miles) I managed to get 54.6mpg! (H)

Old 09-17-2006, 09:43 PM
I have a Taffeta White Fit MT Sport, picked it up August 25. I have had 6 tankfuls of gas and I am averaging 35.8 mpg. (best tank was 38.6 and worst was 34.1) I currently have 1832.9 miles on it. I absolutly love this car. My last car was a 98 VW Golf.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:44 AM
Wife has a fit. I have a new Civic SI, just figured my gas mileage for the SI at 27.82 MPG. My wifes fit averages around 33. Not much of a difference for the power lack in the Fit.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:52 AM
milage what milage

Originally Posted by hiroko12
Wife has a fit. I have a new Civic SI, just figured my gas mileage for the SI at 27.82 MPG. My wifes fit averages around 33. Not much of a difference for the power lack in the Fit.
recently I got 38 and 40 mpg on the highway on a trip to Ala-damn-bama from Atlanta area to and from!! I would like a SI ( if I could find MSRP ha! ha!!!) because of the MPG!!

Old 09-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by roenyc
yes, it doesnt look like this car likes the city. how sad for me.

i have gotten 26 mpg recently my highest in the city due to driving without A/c blasting (its cooler out), trying really hard not to go over 2500 rpms, but its getting harder and harder to get my car to move at this point from a standstill to 30 without hitting 35-4000 rpms. (automatic trany) it needs an oil change (scheduled for wednesday)

I spend so much time watching my RPMs i am going to get killed because i will not have my eyes on the road. i wish i would have bought the standard car at least i would have had control. no =using this car as a standard does not work - its just back wards - perhaps if i never drove standard i could do it. but man i just keep looking for gears in all the wrong places.

also my car is idleling at 1000/rpm, is that normal? i seem to remember it idleling at o/rpm. look i know i am driving myself and you crazy, but if you only drove City like Marvin found out, its pretty sad to get an average of 21 mpgs.

I honestly think your driving situation (purely city) and your lead foot (made obvious by your statement "...its getting harder and harder to get my car to move at this point from a standstill to 30 without hitting 35-4000 rpms.") are the key causes of your low fuel efficiency.

Environment can play a HUGE part in a vehicle's fuel efficiency. I'd bet serious money that if your driving situation changed to one of long highway treks, your economy would skyrocket. I'd also bet if you traded the Fit in on any other car that is EPA rated at over 30mpg city, you'd still get low 20s.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by Fray Adjacent
I honestly think your driving situation (purely city) and your lead foot (made obvious by your statement "...its getting harder and harder to get my car to move at this point from a standstill to 30 without hitting 35-4000 rpms.") are the key causes of your low fuel efficiency.

Environment can play a HUGE part in a vehicle's fuel efficiency. I'd bet serious money that if your driving situation changed to one of long highway treks, your economy would skyrocket. I'd also bet if you traded the Fit in on any other car that is EPA rated at over 30mpg city, you'd still get low 20s.
Frey, i dont know if its because i am a woman or what but for some reason you feel you must dismiss and miss-read my post. Frankly its getting old. you are still confusing me with some poster who claimed to have a lead foot. thats NOT ME!

I am telling you that I AM TRYING NOT TO HAVE A LEAD FOOT! i am trying to move this car from 0-30 without going into V-Tech by gently pressing on the accelerator. its not working!

i am being left in the dust on the blvd. trust me - i am driving like an old lady. trying to get the mpg.

Now i bet if i could fly over the traffic lights in my area and go right to the highway and with no traffic on the highway i would get at least 30 mpg.

i also bet if I was the only car on the road tomorrow and all the traffic lights and stops signs were gone and people were dead i might get 38 mpgs.

but thats not how it is. its real life. its city and i expect at LEAST 25-28 mpg driving as conservatively as i do. if i watch that tachcometer any more i am going to crash into something. i am still getting 20-22.

so unless you are a moderator or someone with some clout here i really dont care what you think.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Sweet.

Drove like 230 miles from London to Manchester yesterday and managed to get 55mpg! :O. I didn't even think it could do that!

Old 09-20-2006, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
I've noticed something that may be of help to some of you that are getting poor MPG. Until recently I had been getting my gas at Kroger (it's a grocery store that also has gas). The reason being that they are usually 1 cent or more cheaper than the 2 gas stations that are at the same intersection. Needless to say they get a lot of business.

The other 2 stations are a Exxon and another. A couple weeks ago I decided to stop at the Exxon instead. Surprise, surprise, my MPG was considerably better. And I mean like close to 8 MPG better.

I have done other things that may have also helped like putting 1/2 bottle of "Lucas Injector Cleaner" in a couple times. You can get it at Wal-Mart or ANY auto parts store for about $4 for a small bottle 4.25oz that will treat up to 25 gallons so 1/2 bottle is good for 1 tank.

Keep the bottle and if you find that it helps enough to make it worth while you can pick up a gallon of it from a truck stop. A gallon costs $27 at the one I go to. That will last a year or more. If you bought that much 4.25oz at a time it would cost about $100 at $4 a bottle. Buying it by the gallon would make the cost about $0.50 a tank or $1 a 4.25oz bottle. Just refill the small bottle 1/2 way so you have it ready to add when you fill up.

If you're getting your gas from the busiest gas staition, try one that doesn't have as much business. The reason being that the busy stations don't keep the gas in the underground tank long enough to cool it down. So you're getting hot fuel which provides less energy per gallon due to expansion of liquids when they are hot.

Keep an eye on when stations get their fuel. You don't want to get gas that has just come out of the hot tanker truck. If they get their truck early in the morning it will be cooler than if the tanker has been in the hot sun for most of the day. For the same reason use the pumps that are shaded and cool as opposed to those that have been in the sun for hours.

The Kroger I mentioned earlier gets theirs around noon and the Exxon gets theirs around 8:00am.

These are just some tips that some of you may find helpfull. I don't have a quick fix that will help everyone, although I wish that I did. I feel for those of you that aren't getting the MPG that you should be.

One more tip before I end this post. I've always tried to do this which is to get my fuel at stations that are on high ground. The thinking behind it is that water runs downhill and I would think that there would be less chance of water getting in the fuel.

Hope someone finds that this helps to at least some extent.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:32 PM
thanks for lots of great sympathetic advice. Honda does recommend the use of exxon or other better grade gas. i usually fill up at Costco only because its convenient and cheap! i did try shell and didn't see a difference. have to find and exxon station near me.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:43 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by roenyc
thanks for lots of great sympathetic advice. Honda does recommend the use of exxon or other better grade gas. i usually fill up at Costco only because its convenient and cheap! i did try shell and didn't see a difference. have to find and exxon station near me.
I fillup at costco and regularly get 33mg MT sport

Old 09-20-2006, 08:50 PM
Wow, I am so pleased with my 2006 Civic Si....I get a solid 29MPG thru 6 tanks so far. Stop and go rush hour traffic, with AC on 100% of the time. I also drive it like it is meant to be driven. In Vtec when called on which is 6500rpm to redline at 8,000. I am so glad I got the Si instead of the Fit. From my point of view the Fit should be getting around 40 MPG to justify being called an Econo-car. While I do like th Fit styling, one big reason I went with the Si instead was the sub-par Mileage of the Fit. While you can't really compare the Si to the Fit, but in my situation I needed a Sporty commuter. I am an auto enthusiast so the only way I would have gone with the fit would have been a solid 38-40 MPG. So thanx to everyone on this forumk for sharing your info, it made my decision an intelligent solid factual choice. Honda's are the best auto's around..bar-none..this is my 5th Honda. maybe Honda America will listen to all of you and make the Fit more sporty and with better fuel economy. Just think about it, in the Si it has 200HP is heavier, but still compares to fuel mileage with the Fit, somethings wrong with that scenario....the Fit while a fantastic car just isn't what it should be.

GWD

Old 09-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by guywdog
Si it has 200HP is heavier, but still compares to fuel mileage with the Fit,
????? How can you say that the 29 mpg of the SI compares to the 35+ of the fit?? Honestly, I'm glad you like your SI, but be fair - the Fit gets great gas mileage. Better MPG than all its competition expcept maybe (BIG BIG maybe) the yaris....and even that you can't compare since the Yaris is so tiny and a 2 door compared to the fit. So i don't see anything "wrong".

Anyway - 29 mpg is nice, but definitely a step or two below the 35-40 people are reporting commuting w/ the fit. (I personally am getting 36-38 mpg on my 100 mile/day commute with a sport AT, some MT are getting even better).

Old 09-20-2006, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
yes but i believe he is comparing it to the droves of people that are getting very poor mileage. For every person that has reported GREAT mileage (being 38 or above) there are 2 or 3 at least that are getting low thirties or below. Some in the mid 20's. I wish my wife drove stick cause i would have got a manual fit and would be getting much better mileage plus the added fun-to-drive bonus.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:17 PM
droves?? I guess there is no way to know for sure, but it seems to me the overwhelming majority are getting within or better than EPA estimates with a small percentage of (mostly city stop and go drivers) getting less... But thats just my impression - you obviously have the opposite impression - who's is more accurate? Who knows...

Old 09-20-2006, 09:54 PM
People saying that their SI's are better deals than the Fit irks me. It really is like comparing apples and oranges. The SI is an awesome car, no doubt, but the whole "If the SI can get 29mpg, then why isn't the Fit doing 40+ all the time?" argument is pointless. The difference between the mpg of the two cars might be "marginal" to some people, but that "marginal" difference could add up over time. Plus, not everyone who bought a Fit is going to see some SI owner talking about how their mileage is so close and say "Boohoo, I should have bought one of those!" It's just a dumb (and slightly off-topic) subject for discussion - if I wanted to know the mileage of someone's SI, I would be reading over at the SI boards. If you're going to compare a Fit's mileage to that of another car, stick to cars that are in its segment, its true "competition". Comparing it to an SI isn't fair, and the comparison tells Fit owners nothing useful. Not to say people can't discuss what they want, just my two cents.

And, my Fit's mileage gets better every week, so that makes me happy. My highest tank's still only around 32 mpg, with my average between 28 and 30, but I spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic in a major city, and I haven't been babying her at all, so I consider that pretty good. I only use about a tank and a quarter of gas a week. Not bad. VBP Sport AT.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage