General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by blue smiler
for myself on high ways 15/l.street rd 13.5 to 14.5.sori here we go by ta litre ya.and tats wat shows on my meters too...
13.5km/l = 31.8 mpg
15km/l = 35.3 mpg

A good source for conversions at the bottom of this list:
http://encarta.msn.com/media_7015006...n_Factors.html

Old 08-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Mr SEntra
I'm at 182 at half a tank and probably around 4.5-5 gallons used since fill up. I'm not getting bad gas mileage, but I'm not sure I understand why there's such a difference in what everyone's getting.
Just driving the last 10 miles on the city and getting gas because it's down to $3.01 a tank, I filled up today. I travelled 192.4 miles and put in 5.6 gallons = 34.35 mpg. Lot of that was highway and 90% AC. When I was off the highway, I noticed I drove a little harder than I have previously and I did use the Fit's "available" power to pass people on the highway. Just as I've been expecting from my manual Fit.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
3.01? it just dropped up here to 2.94 a gallon.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Talking Another tank 43.012 MPG / Overall average: 36.884 MPG

Gas was down to $2.61 at Costco today so I couldn't resist filling up on the way home.

I think I could've gone another day before filling up but I don't like to be at less than 1/4 tank. I noticed also that mid-tank was ~225 miles this tank.

I've been paying attention to my Scangauge lately, using the "pulse and glide" technique on the accelerator and limiting a/c use.

a/c was on about 50%.

I'm keeping the tires at 38 psi.

City/hwy: 40%/60%

My average is climbing close to 37 MPG and that includes city driving!

North Carolina is very hilly, especially on the interstates and that costs gas. I've been using neutral (stepping on the clutch) when going downhill. The Scangauge shows much higher MPG than when I'm in gear so that brings up the average.

Details:
Miles: 325.9
Gallons: 7.577
-----------------
= 43.012 MPG

Old 08-24-2006, 07:39 PM
jrlnc, great to hear you're getting great mileage with the MT. I am very glad I ordered a MT. Of the 7 or 8 cars I've owned, only one was an auto. I didn't like it... so I'll stick with the manual.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
1st tank of gas = 33.6 mpg

I've had the a/c on all the time since I p/u the car and probably have done 70% city 30% hwy. I also just came back from a ride up into the mountains around San Diego (went to Jullian). 282 miles and 8.4 gals. Since this was my 1st tank that means the dealer filled it up and I doubt that I started with a really full tank so I'm very pleased with how my Fit is running. This was also the first tank of gas that I paid less than $3/ gallon. Gas is "only $2.98 / gal.!

Old 08-26-2006, 06:20 AM
5 Year Member
Last Thursday evening I could pick up my new Jazz.
Same model as before.
The tank was filed up and the board computer did show an average of 13.8l/100km.
Now, after 150km the computer is showing already an average of 6.4l/100km.
I will tell you, whether I could get it down below 6l/100km, after the first refilling.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JazzEr
Last Thursday evening I could pick up my new Jazz.
Same model as before.
The tank was filed up and the board computer did show an average of 13.8l/100km.
Now, after 150km the computer is showing already an average of 6.4l/100km.
I will tell you, whether I could get it down below 6l/100km, after the first refilling.
So, after 610km I could fill 34.7l, which results into a average of 5.7l/100km = 17.54km/l = 41.26mpg
My guessing about the ride is 20% city and 30% highway, mostly without A/C.
If there is something like a full break-in, I wonder what the usage will be after

Last edited by JazzEr; 08-29-2006 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:41 PM
Ive been getting a little over 20mpg. But my driving foot, it seems, is constantly hitting the floor board.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
I passed 40 mpg for the first time. wow! I need therapy now

You ar not going to believe This. I have a new record and my overall milage has increased. Are you ready ? O.K.46.43 mpg on the hwy.. I am jumping up and down. This is the long story. I drove to the dealer to get my first oil change ( my car has 4355 total miles). This was an opportunity to do all hwy driving. I had hoped to acheive 40 mpg. On the way up I drove 140 miles using the AC when needed which I was not more than 50% of the drive and I drove 60 to 75 miles per hour using 5th gear. There was some traffic slow down to about 40 mph but, not for more then 20 minutes. On the way home it was a different story the wind for half the drive crossed over at about 20mph( the tree tops where moving) and it was cooler out with some rain... temperature near high 60s so, no need for AC. I ran into some stop and go traffic for thirty to forty minutes driving through Everett and Seattle. I do not have cruise. Yes with those conditions I acheived 46.43 mpg. The math goes like this I drove 278.6 miles and burned 6.075 gallons. I rounded the gas to 6 gallons which is 46.43 mpg. What I got drivingaround town last two fill ups is 36.88 mpg (114miles w/4.25 gl) and 37.49 mpg(312.3 miles w/8.33gl
A comment the dealer service department made to me is "The fit is known more for getting around town gas milage then hwy milage"... If this keeps up I am so glad I did not buy a volkswagon TDI... tell me what you think about this. Yes private messeges are O.K. Do you think we can have a 40 mpg club now

Last edited by big Fit; 08-30-2006 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:24 AM
Just asking, but where did you fill up at for your last 3 tanks?

Old 08-30-2006, 10:40 AM
Don't understand!! Best I ever got was 28, granted I only have 1500 miles on the car. i did the idle learn procedure befor the last fill up and checked it this time......no change. I got the exact same MPG (28) as i did befor procedure. I filled my tires up to 36psi this morning and will check this tank of gas.

I am a very conservative driver. Checking the new scan gague I installed I NEVER get MPG in the 40s at any time while my foot is on the gas. Well wait a couple of thousland miles for a break in period them get really mad.

Its funny, people stop and ask me about my car (red sport) and the first question is how many MPG do you get, not how does it handle or what features do you have, but what is your MPG. And I have to tell them the truth, less than expected!

Old 08-30-2006, 10:57 AM
Its funny, people stop and ask me about my car (red sport) and the first question is how many MPG do you get, not how does it handle or what features do you have, but what is your MPG. And I have to tell them the truth, less than expected

same here, in fact i told honda i am a driving bill board for their car. so many people have asked me about it and i have to tell them i cant recomend it based on city mpg. its not worth it, i am not only getting low gas miliage but i have to use a more expensive gas. get a yaris or scion - at least they are cheaper and i they are getting better city miliage. yes NYC gas miliage since that is where i live. that is what is important to me. and the dealers here are selling this car in nyc and nj and talking as though this car will get 30mpg in THIS city - not some city in the mid west but nyc. go figure.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:21 AM
Petro and roenyc:

I have to warn both of you: if your terrain, traffic conditions, gasoline blend (ethanol) or driving style are the cause of your low MPG, changing cars won't help!

Just read the Yaris forums. They're filled with people complaining about low MPG. Even some Prius owners say they're only getting in the high 30's. I'll bet that it has a lot to do with traffic and driving style.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by petro

Its funny, people stop and ask me about my car (red sport) and the first question is how many MPG do you get, not how does it handle or what features do you have, but what is your MPG. And I have to tell them the truth, less than expected!
I don't want to start a big argument but when you "tell them the truth" it
is based on one driver's, and others, who are getting less than expected.
And yet others are getting fantastic results.
It's basically the same engine, etc. but results are all over the place. Does
this not raise a red flag?

If I were posting a survey here I would set basic limits for the MPG tests.
Like a minimum 5 empty fillups or 1500 miles, etc. (I've seen some post with a car right off the lot and only going 175 miles and then reporting their mileage.)

As I asked in another thread does anyone know the drag coefficient of the Fit? I'm pretty sure it is worse than some of the cars others report getting better mileage in. And yes, I realize some of you have to drive at 70-75 to keep up to traffic.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by willmax11
I don't want to start a big argument but when you "tell them the truth" it
is based on one driver's, and others, who are getting less than expected.
And yet others are getting fantastic results.
It's basically the same engine, etc. but results are all over the place. Does
this not raise a red flag?

If I were posting a survey here I would set basic limits for the MPG tests.
Like a minimum 5 empty fillups or 1500 miles, etc. (I've seen some post with a car right off the lot and only going 175 miles and then reporting their mileage.)

As I asked in another thread does anyone know the drag coefficient of the Fit? I'm pretty sure it is worse than some of the cars others report getting better mileage in. And yes, I realize some of you have to drive at 70-75 to keep up to traffic.
I'm at 2500 km now, and getting 25 MPG average city. Can I call it crap now? I don't even step on the gas past 3300 rpm (95% of the time I will shift at 2700-3000 rpm). I'm planning to ask to swap cars with my friend with a Corolla for a week and see what kind of mileage I would be getting.

She's gone 3000+ miles already.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:34 PM
When people askabout milage I do explain that some people are getting in the high 30s but there is a wide range in milage.

Of all the new cars I have bought since 2000 (this is the 4th), (2000Echo, 2001sequoia, 2002mr2 spyder, 2007Fit) on all of them except the FitI got within the estimated MPG on the EPA sticker, most of the time at the high end. Since this is the first new Honda I have purchased I will have to give it a chance to "breakin".

jrlnc...I am driving this car like all the others I have owned (same town, same commute, same gas, same driver, same hills, or lack thereof) and it is not living up to its established standards!

Old 08-30-2006, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
where did I buy the gas?

Originally Posted by Mr SEntra
Just asking, but where did you fill up at for your last 3 tanks?
I only buy chevron gasolin regular unleaded. I am cheap. I dont think it has any thing to do with gas... I really believe that gas milage with this car varies... and perhaps I have a good break in also. I am still doing backflips over the news and I told every one at work about this. Keep in mind my worse mpg is 28 and I had been averaging about 33.5.

Last edited by big Fit; 08-30-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:36 PM
I really believe it has alot to do with throtle position and thats why the manuals are averaging better mpg because its easier to stay in the proper gear.I know when I drive our auto accord my foot hits the long peddle alot harder.

sorry for the run on

Old 08-30-2006, 06:44 PM
I'm beginning to think that the only way I'll break out past 25 mpg is to let the damn thing coast with the engine off. It is not possible for me to drive any more efficiently than I am and still retain some semblance of this being an automobile and not a moped. It's getting closer to a new owner each time I dump more money into the tank. Grrrrr.

bob

Quick Reply: Gas mileage