General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bluemeanie
Just got back from a trip to San Francisco, and I'm starting to believe that the type of gas pays a big part on mileage.

I tested all the gas station's around our town and found that Mobil gas was the best one. I usually fill up at Shell but when I used Shell for the first time I got only 240 miles Chevron gave me my worst 230 & Mobil I average around 260+...

Old 08-21-2006, 08:18 PM
I'm wondering if having the AC on is making a big difference. Of course, where I live it's on most of the time so if it is a major factor it's a real problem. I'd like to give it time to "break in" and see what happens but I figure that every extra mile on it is another few dollars I won't get back when I sell it, which I'm very seriously thinking of doing. Yeah, we have crap gas here and need to run the AC for a good portion of the year, but these things don't seem to be an issue with other cars, at least my other two. My 91 MR2 uses the same gas and the *worse* I've ever had is ~25 mpg. I've actually broken the 40 mark with it when the free way speeds were limited to 55.

Talking with a Scion "box" owner today (who can't believe how lousy my gas mileage is) I'm told that his car has an electric driven AC compressor...I'm surprised that Honda didn't go this route. I'm not trying to compare the Honda to Toyota but facts are facts...unfortunately.

bob

Old 08-21-2006, 09:02 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by bobthenuke
Talking with a Scion "box" owner today (who can't believe how lousy my gas mileage is) I'm told that his car has an electric driven AC compressor...I'm surprised that Honda didn't go this route. I'm not trying to compare the Honda to Toyota but facts are facts...unfortunately.

bob
I love the xB and almost bought one. Unfortunately, most box owners don't get quite what they expected either, but their cars are rated lower than the Fit (30/34 VS 31/37). I hang out at scionlife.com a lot, and I'd say the average xB owner gets around 30mpg after the car is broken in, and that's just regular driving, not hard city driving or AC on all the time. Sure it can vary, but the boxy shape doesn't lend itself to low drag.

The Fit will probably have a higher average MPG once broken in, but since most folks don't have many miles on the car right now I have a feeling (but could be wrong) that this makes it seem like everyone is getting lower MPG.

Also, when you fill up try to have the tank down closer to 1/4 when you fill up. I would think that this should help you get a more accurate average?

Hopefully your MPG will improve... good luck!!

Old 08-21-2006, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
packy says....
Also, when you fill up try to have the tank down closer to 1/4 when you fill up. I would think that this should help you get a more accurate average?
the only variable in mpg calculation, is when you fill the tank, just exactly how much you put in. when to stop. out here in so cal, all the hoses are auto shut off with vent shrouds. how much you stick the nozzle in, how far, can make the nozzle shut off early or late.
topping off, in the first tank, and shutting off early will get you a good mpg calc, but is not representative of what you are really getting.
I cant wait till the heat wave is over, so I can turn off the AC.
like 108 degrees, its hot! dash never cools off. even after an hour of AC, put your hand on the dash, and its HOT!
winter gas formula might also help with mpg, just have to wait.
I might try some octane booster next fillup?
or use 91 instead of 87.

51psi is max inflation for tire installation, not running pressure.
buy hey, its your car. I would think high thirties would be proper, and have mine set at 36 psi.

here in so cal, we get the crummy gas formula, LA basin is a soup bowl.
glad I live in the mountains. looking down on it, I hate driving into the city.
joe

Old 08-21-2006, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
I noticed a big increase in city mileage between 1500-2000 miles on the odometer. It went from around 26 to 31 mpg. I've been able to get 37 mpg on the highway with four passengers and the A/C on. That was at 60 mph with a crosswind. Later on the same trip at 70 mph with a headwind it dropped to 34 mpg. It seems like wind resistance/speed is a major factor in mileage (just like other cars!).

Old 08-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by HaulSmall
I noticed a big increase in city mileage between 1500-2000 miles on the odometer. It went from around 26 to 31 mpg. I've been able to get 37 mpg on the highway with four passengers and the A/C on. That was at 60 mph with a crosswind. Later on the same trip at 70 mph with a headwind it dropped to 34 mpg. It seems like wind resistance/speed is a major factor in mileage (just like other cars!).
Be careful when you shut off a/c and use the windows. I killed my milage on a highway trip (27mpg) with a window down and a/c off. On the way back, a/c on the whole time and windows rolled up...yielded 36 mpg. It would appear, at least in my case, that the drag is tremendously increased at 75-80 mph with one window down, and it doesnt come close to compensating for what the a/c takes. I would assume the opposite would be true at slower speeds like city driving. I would like someone else to test this theory, because this has happened two times with similar results.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Your windows down may have had nothing to do with it.

Going one direction on a long trip is, unfortunately NOT the same as going the other way. Elevation changes? Temperature changes? Headwind?

I had read somewhere that driving with windows down generally only accounts for maybe a 2-3% decrease in fuel economy, and that frontal area plays MUCH more into fuel economy at highway speeds.

Likely one direction you were going against the wind and/or uphill, and then the opposite on the way back.

Anyway about it, I doubt your windows being open had that much to do with it.

Old 08-22-2006, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member
I forgot if it was Mythbusters or what, but the breakeven point was deemed to be 50 MPH.

Below that, windows work better, above that, windows create too much drag and thus, the AC works better

Old 08-22-2006, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Geeze don't you guys watch Mythbusters? Driving with the windows down and a/c off DOESN'T save gas it increases the amount of fuel burned. IF you drive at the same rates of speed etc. They tried it out with two identical cars on a track with a measured amount of fuel and drove round and round at the same speeds and the a/c ON car went several laps farther.
Just someone get a scan gauge already... mythbusters have been proven wrong every now and then.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:55 PM
OK:
scan gauge results:done on 8.23.06 at 10:00am PST 82 Degrees
65mph windows up AC off 35mpg
65mph windows down AC off 34.5mpg
65mpg windows up AC on 34.5mpg
65mph windows down AC on "cold and windy with a chance of rain"

red sport Auto

Old 08-23-2006, 08:16 PM
I know a lot of people are complaining about low mileage with the automatic, but I would have thought that at a steady 65 mph that the Fit would get at least 40 mpg. After all there is no traffic or stop and go to drop the average down.

My minivan (3.3 liter 225 hp 4,300 lbs) gets about 29 mpg under the same conditions. The Fit should be much much better than a minivan.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Dude, a Z06 Vette will rate 30mpg highway, and has what, a 5.7 liter 8 cylinder? Comparative size of a vehicle and engine is not directly proportionate to any difference in fuel economy.

The only thing that IS constant is how much power is in a gallon of gas, so there will be a finite 'fuel economy' achievable with regular gasoline.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by petro
OK:
scan gauge results:done on 8.23.06 at 10:00am PST 82 Degrees
65mph windows up AC off 35mpg
65mph windows down AC off 34.5mpg
65mpg windows up AC on 34.5mpg
65mph windows down AC on "cold and windy with a chance of rain"

red sport Auto
Were those from an average over time, or just an instant reading? Thanks for posting the numbers, btw

Old 08-23-2006, 11:01 PM
I was just on Yahoo and they had an article on Gas mileage being the main factor for buying a new car. After reading the article, I clicked on a link about the best new MPG cars and decided to check out some of the customer reviews for the Fit. Well, they're not good. Many people are complaining about the poor gas mileage, not living up the EPA estimates. Sad to say, the Fit is not living up to many people's expectations. I wish Honda would take a hard look at those reviews and start to examine some of the Fits coming off the assembly line to check on the mileage issue. You would think they would do so in order to keep their fine reputation intact.

I've posted a few of my own gripes on this thread about poor gas mileage, and I've come to a realization. When someone buys a car, they don't want to think and worry about gas mileage and whether or not their own car is making the grade. They just want to drive and have fun. I want to drive my car and think about nothing but enjoying the ride. But because of the poor mileage, this really impedes on that peace of mind that people want when buying a car.

My Fit has luckily improved in mileage lately, but it still has a way to go before I can relax and enjoy the drive. What will it take to wake up Honda about these complaints? Let's hope Honda doesn't end up on the sorry road to ruin with the Fit.

Last edited by bluemeanie; 08-24-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:28 AM
Bluemeanie - dunno about "not living up to the EPA estimates" I see a fair amount of people BEATING EPA estimates here... Myself, with a Sport AT rated for 31/37 I am getting a liftetime average of 34.5 mpg. Worst tank was 32.7, best tank was 37.5... seems pretty in line with EPA. Others have been averaging even higher.

Yes, there might be a problem with some of the cars but we don't know...what I see (at least in this forum) is a few unhappy people getting 20-something mpg and a majority of people averaging 33-35 mpg. I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet, as we haven't figured out what's up with those few poor souls with low mpg results... could be the car, could be something else....

Old 08-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Fray Adjacent
Dude, a Z06 Vette will rate 30mpg highway, and has what, a 5.7 liter 8 cylinder? Comparative size of a vehicle and engine is not directly proportionate to any difference in fuel economy.

The only thing that IS constant is how much power is in a gallon of gas, so there will be a finite 'fuel economy' achievable with regular gasoline.
Certainly true. Of course a Corvette weighs 1,000 lbs less and pushes half as much air. Still it has impressive mpg for its size and is another good example.

Gas may have only so much energy, but the more efficient the vehicle, the less energy it needs hence the less gasoline. The Fit is nowhere near the point where those limits are a factor.

I have mentioned before and will bring up again. My 1990 Integra with 17 year old technology, 200 lbs more weight that the Fit, and a larger 1.8 liter engine with 130 hp easily gets 40 mpg going 65 mph. If I baby it and drive 60 mph, cost down hills, slow up hills etc it can get 45 mpg. It is well broken in though (215,000 miles) and is more aerodynamic than the Fit. BTW its EPA was 24/28 with the manual transmission.

I Still think 35 is very low mpg for a car of this class, and honestly wonder if maybe there was a slight headwind with the scangauge test. Look in Consumer Reports, they do all their real world tests at the same 65 mph. They get the BMW 3 series at 34 mpg, the Accord Automatic at 38 mpg and the Civic Automatic at 43 mpg. 34 just seems way too low for steady state 65 mph. In a month or so CR will have their full test of the Fit published and we will see how it compares.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Packy

those readings were over a 5-10 second trip. I was going down the freeway here in Folsom and had my wife write down the readings while car was on cruse and I made the changes. maby not totally reliable but more than a fabrication.

Still on my first tank after i redid the idle learn procedure. hard to tell on milage until its time to "fill 'er up".

Red sportAT
75% city
25%freeway

Old 08-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by trowpa
Bluemeanie - dunno about "not living up to the EPA estimates" I see a fair amount of people BEATING EPA estimates here... Myself, with a Sport AT rated for 31/37 I am getting a liftetime average of 34.5 mpg. Worst tank was 32.7, best tank was 37.5... seems pretty in line with EPA. Others have been averaging even higher.

Yes, there might be a problem with some of the cars but we don't know...what I see (at least in this forum) is a few unhappy people getting 20-something mpg and a majority of people averaging 33-35 mpg. I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet, as we haven't figured out what's up with those few poor souls with low mpg results... could be the car, could be something else....
HONDA AMERICA reminded me today that the EPA estimates are the EPA's and NOT hondas. i reminded her that they are selling their car based on those figures. and i am 10 mpg less then those figures. ugh.

and it seems i am not alone. i wonder if its a bunch of cars from the same lot or made on a monday. but after checking out that thread on Yahoo, whew thats something for honda to think about. i feel like all i do is fill up. i have gone 54 miles so far since fill up yesterday and burned a 1/4 tank. a/c on and off. suburban city type (i live in the suburbs of nyc) driving as i explained to honda. oh and using Shell gas.

i moved my seat in the car all the way back so my foot wouldnt be so heavy. no i wish my arms were longer! i am really trying everything. i have no complaints with the way this car handles but man i am going broke feeding it.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:49 AM
for myself on high ways 15/l.street rd 13.5 to 14.5.sori here we go by ta litre ya.and tats wat shows on my meters too...

Old 08-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
still no ILP and averaging 32mpg stop n go hwy with a/c. I'd say I am satisfied since the stop n go is pretty much like city driving.

Sport 5spd

Quick Reply: Gas mileage