General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 10:54 PM
that spoon air filter is like 80 or 90 USD isn't it? and it's NOT reusable? Is that what I remember (too lazy to look it up lol)

Either way - this is the first mod i've heard of that improved gas mileage - but the cost savings is almost negated by the cost of the filter lol

Old 08-18-2006, 10:02 AM
I got 43 mpg, 90% high driving, avg speed 110 km/h

Old 08-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Wink

um thanks for being so rude. i really just didnt get it. someone else explained it.

Last edited by roenyc; 08-18-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Cringing at this tank. 130 km, and I'm 40% into the tank. I'm guessing I will hit a whopping 170 km by the time I hit half tank (which works out to 20 L according to my last fillup). Which would give me a stunning 20 MPG (US Gallons)

I think I've gone over 3k rpm exactly twice this tank, and no more than 3500.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by trowpa
that spoon air filter is like 80 or 90 USD isn't it? and it's NOT reusable? Is that what I remember (too lazy to look it up lol)

Either way - this is the first mod i've heard of that improved gas mileage - but the cost savings is almost negated by the cost of the filter lol
Well, you arent necessarily correct. Im not sure how long the filter lasts, but if it lasts 40k cost is well worth it. Ok, so I will assumpe that 2mpg may be attributed to the filter. That would be approx 7% increase in milage. Now, 40000 miles/31 mpg (my current average) = 1290 gallons x $3.199/gallon = $4127. Now, 7% of $4127 = $288

If 5% is attributed to filter = $206
Even 5% of 30k is = $154

Wouldnt take much of an improvement to be worthwhile in the long run, especially if it give a little boost in performance. Now all that I said are pretty big assumptions (so dont jump all over me), but just some basic math to consider.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by crimsona
Cringing at this tank. 130 km, and I'm 40% into the tank. I'm guessing I will hit a whopping 170 km by the time I hit half tank (which works out to 20 L according to my last fillup). Which would give me a stunning 20 MPG (US Gallons)

I think I've gone over 3k rpm exactly twice this tank, and no more than 3500.
I know it doesnt make sense, but my best mpg was beating on the car like it was a rental. Redline shifts more than half the time, ALOT of very steep hills and no regard for how hard I was riding the pedal. Conversely, my worst was 26 mpg which was no a/c and pure highway. I know there is no explanation for it, but I calculated carefully.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:46 AM
I do not know the part number, but it is the only Air filter Spoon makes for the Fit.

Talk to Ben at AJ Racing (screen name AJ PwR Jr)., he can hook you up. Also, keep in mind that the gas milage change is in combination with bth mods (the muffler and air filter. Not 100% sure of why, but I assume that it is because the car can breath easier now. Also, the new muffler is lighter than the stock one.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by roenyc
i went to the dealer yesterday about my mpg problems and the paint problem.

the manager was no help at all. ran computer tests and said my car was fine. Expained how estimated mpgs are determined. blah blah blah. i told him i understood but expected more then 20 mpg.

I have to bring the car back today when the regional manager or something is there. i am disgusted. i am ready to just trade it in.
I think this: I live in a relatively flat city and drive 'feather foot' style. If i buy a Fit and I get less than 30 MPG, I'm returning it immediately and getting every bit of my money back.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Performance upgrades = Better MPG ???

Originally Posted by GreekFit
I was getting 33 mpg in the city, with about 10% highway. Now that I added the Spoon Muffler and air filter I am now getting 36.5 with the same mix of driving. This is much better than the Honda Pilot we used to have.
So your saying that by making performance modifications, (air intake, exhaust, filters), that this will improve gas milage? (assuming you do not change your driving style).

Old 08-19-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by LuxuryFit
I think this: I live in a relatively flat city and drive 'feather foot' style. If i buy a Fit and I get less than 30 MPG, I'm returning it immediately and getting every bit of my money back.
I wish it was as easy as taking it back to the dealership. Unless they find something wrong mechanically, they'll just tell you that the EPA mileage is just an estimate.....and probably blame your driving style on the poor mpg. It puts the burden of proof back on you to prove that its a factory defect.....probably take months and many trips back to the dealership for service. Also have to get Honda headquarters invovled.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:35 AM
So your saying that by making performance modifications, (air intake, exhaust, filters), that this will improve gas milage? (assuming you do not change your driving style).
Certain mods CAN help fuel economy, IF you resist the temptation to stomp on it a lot! If you're only interested in good economy, I'd say you should probably only consider an intake, as it helps the engine breathe better. Might be good for a mile or two per gallon overall.

When I get my fit, and have it broken in, I'll average my fuel economy, THEN put an intake on it, and see how it affects my economy.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:39 PM
Yes, certain modifications will increase fuel economy. I do drive fairly aggresively in the fit and have not changed my habits when I added the mods. I did increase the fuel milage slightly.

If you really want to ensure great gas milage, then drive leisurly. Keep it under 3000 rpm, and don't speed on the highway. You will definately get great gas milage; but I prefer to have some fun with the fit, too.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
well, you sure cant do that in Southern California.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:34 PM
I took my car into work the other day; 55 miles each way, 52 of each is highway. I filled the tank prior to leaving, pumped the tires to 36, and after getting home (gas gauge showed about 3/4 tank) put in 4 gallons to top it off. Do the math. This was the 2nd tank. Since them I've done the "idle learn" procedure...we'll see what that gets us.

I just can't understand any of this. I've *never* had a car that has such issues with gas mileage. I can do the same trip with my 3 liter 400+ HP Supra and (granted I have to stay out of the turbos) I can get 22 mpg in a whole more comfort and style.

Bob (not too happy with his first trip into Honda territory)

Old 08-21-2006, 02:43 AM
Ok I have really been paying attention to what I am doing in the car.. now I DO have a M/T. But, long straights and long roads with no intersectios etc.. I do use cruise.. (don't know if that makes a difference) And I don't just use it at higher speeds, or in fifth only. Some of the use is just being lazy... but.. My millageseems to be UP on the higher side (more mpg) when I use it. I opted to fill today. trip meter was 292.6 gallons added 6.5.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by Talon
I opted to fill today. trip meter was 292.6 gallons added 6.5.
RU Serious? THese are US Gallons too???? That's 45 MPG!!!!!

Old 08-21-2006, 12:26 PM
yep it is. 45 a gallon (ok 45. etc.. but) I normally run in the 39. etc.. up. And yeah even with being close to Canada, we haven't left the union so US gallons. It's all been 87 octane gas, cept for the one Cenex fill up where their octane is 89 on regular. And it's either been Chevron or Arco gas.
I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but, when I do run A/C (rarely cause I don't see the need most of the time) But, I do use the inner recirculation, so I'll turn it on till I'm just starting to get cold, then turn it off and let it recirculate what is there.. rather than running it constantly.. (and I am not sure HOW much ac affects milage per gallon on the newer cars.. does anyone know for sure?) I put a 15% tinting on the windows, including a front window strip that comes down about 8 or so inches. (which is really more due to the fact the front windows are so frigging LARGE laugh and I can't use the visors fully due to I put a racing mirror in. )
I REALLY don't know why I am getting the mpg that I am. I"m not a leadfoot, but, it's not beyond me to get on the gas, and drive fast, and jump out at a light. (no I don't lay rubber, and yes they will)

Old 08-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by bobthenuke
I took my car into work the other day; 55 miles each way, 52 of each is highway. I filled the tank prior to leaving, pumped the tires to 36, and after getting home (gas gauge showed about 3/4 tank) put in 4 gallons to top it off. Do the math. This was the 2nd tank.
Hi Bob,

Don't be too dissapointed yet, it takes the car a while to break in and see the best MPG. The first few thousand miles will be lower MPG. Our first was 26, 2nd 30, then 33, then 26 (REALLY heavy foot) then 31 with all city driving. I'm not even going to think about the mileage until I'm past 5000 miles, but I'll track it for the life of the car.

Keep a steady foot, and leave the PSI at 36, keep the revs under 3k, and you should even out eventually.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:32 PM
i am at 3500 miles - its not getting any better. i drive it just like i drove my falling apart 95 honda that got 20 mpg. i dont think its the problem, perhaps some of us just got some lemons. i dont know but my honda dealer doesnt really want to deal with it.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Just got back from a trip to San Francisco, and I'm starting to believe that the type of gas pays a big part on mileage. Before I took off, I filled up my AT Sport with Arco gas. On the return home, I stopped and filled up again at Chevron. With Arco, I was getting an amazing 37 MPG (FINALLY!). However, with the Chevron, I was only getting 31 MPG. Don't know if anyone is experiencing the same weirdness with their Fit. In any case, I'm happy that my Fit is finally breaking in (with 3300 miles), and I hope that the mileage becomes more consistent from this point on...

Quick Reply: Gas mileage