General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Super economical

I managed to go 732km on 38 litres of normal unleaded (91 RON) which I think works out to 5.4 L/100km.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:25 AM
wow!!!
I have been following this thread since the beginning. I can totally understand the frustration for those of you that are getting poorer mileage, relative to others that are getting the expected or better mileage stated by Honda.

One thing came to mind after seeing the RPM/MAP/FUEL plot and reading that the fellow with the scangauge was getting pretty good mileage ... stay with me here
The idea has been tossed around lately about how mileage is more sensitive to throttle input and not RPM, and maybe that is a function of the DBW. If the fellow with the scangauge can change one of his digital read-outs and report on his throttle position during a mileage run, because I think that you can with the scangauge, it may uncover this whole mileage variablity.

Just an idea ...

Cheers!

Old 08-16-2006, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2ride4life
wow!!!
I have been following this thread since the beginning. I can totally understand the frustration for those of you that are getting poorer mileage, relative to others that are getting the expected or better mileage stated by Honda.

One thing came to mind after seeing the RPM/MAP/FUEL plot and reading that the fellow with the scangauge was getting pretty good mileage ... stay with me here
The idea has been tossed around lately about how mileage is more sensitive to throttle input and not RPM, and maybe that is a function of the DBW. If the fellow with the scangauge can change one of his digital read-outs and report on his throttle position during a mileage run, because I think that you can with the scangauge, it may uncover this whole mileage variablity.

Just an idea ...

Cheers!
that would be a great idea to see how we can optimize the mileage!! even the dealers don't kno what the heck's going on with new models, and just gives you bunch of BS!!! and prob use your car as a guinea pig to test working on it...

Old 08-16-2006, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Talon
i feel a slight hesitation when i take off. is this normal? my kid says yes. i say no. its like i hit the gas and the car takes a bit of time to follow. could be my imagination but that might be my problem. he says its just the way the new transmissions work.

how many seconds is it hesitating at? And is it only from a dead stop or does it do it other times? Like once you have started moving does it ever hesitate changing gears?

I have an automatic, and its like i press the peddle and it just seems like the car takes a second or more to jump into first gear. i am not explaining this well. it always seems as though i am hitting the gas more then i need to in order to accelerate.

Basically, you hit the gas, and it THINKS about whether to respond or not.

is there anyone out there who knows what the heck i am talking about. at first i thought it was because of the A/C - my older cars did that. but that was just an excuse. HELP - i go to dealer tomorrow!!

A friend had one that did that, new car, she almost got hit a couple times but hers was severe...it would hesitate...go...hesitate before it'd go again. No it wasn't a honda.
only hesitation for me is when i change gaer o the paddles.. i press + to change to second and maybe 1-1.5 seconds later it changes with a little hop.. is it normal? should i let go of the gas when changing gaer via the paddles??

Old 08-16-2006, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
when i warm up my car in the morning the engine doesn;t sound smooth.. an occasional puttering sound chimes in.. like a old car with bad muffler..
i'm guessing the idle procedure wasn't done.. it was never taught to idle correctly?

Old 08-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by thejroisgo
I totally agree, I have a M/T and I don't shift below 3k RPMs, i usually shift at about 4k and i haven't gotten a tank under 35MPG... those of you that have M/T should try it out and see what happens.
I unfortunately have to disagree. I usually shift at 2700 rpm and have never gotten a tank below 38mpg (mainly highway travel, until recently).

I will be getting a Scangauge II in the coming weeks so I can hopefully pinpoint the reason for good gas mileage.

Old 08-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Well guys, when I had my Insight, I wasn't getting stellar fuel economy until I hit about 6000 miles, then it went up noticeably.

There IS something to be said about giving a good breakin period before really determining your car's fuel economy.

Old 08-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by hqly
only hesitation for me is when i change gaer o the paddles.. i press + to change to second and maybe 1-1.5 seconds later it changes with a little hop.. is it normal? should i let go of the gas when changing gaer via the paddles??
Don't think that is the same thing.. unless there is something funky with the paddles on the automatics. I have a manual soo.. hard for me to tell. Cause I can't recall from the single test drive I did on a automatic if it hesitated at all in general and well I didn't use the paddles and the salesperson never offered to explain how they were used..

Old 08-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Scangauge and MPG optimizing / What should I look for?

Originally Posted by 2ride4life
wow!!!

Just an idea ...

Cheers!
I'm the guy with the Scangauge. When I leave work in about an hour I'll set one of the gauges to monitor THROTTLE POSITION.

What should I be looking for exactly?

I could also keep the MPG monitor up and see how MPG and Throttle Position are related. Any other ideas?

Old 08-16-2006, 04:20 PM
The more data the better- I'm on a mission to unravel this MPG mystery!

(Although I wish somone could use a scangauge w/ AT as that seems much more difficult to figure out)

Old 08-16-2006, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by trowpa
The more data the better- I'm on a mission to unravel this MPG mystery!

(Although I wish somone could use a scangauge w/ AT as that seems much more difficult to figure out)

By that do you mean, "No one with an automatic has a scangauge" or do you mean "the scangauge doesn't work with the automatic"?
Cuz... I was looking at those things...

Better question - if all I want is a MPG meter - is there a cheap one of those I can just slap somewhere and plug into that nifty little port?

Old 08-16-2006, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Fray Adjacent
Well guys, when I had my Insight, I wasn't getting stellar fuel economy until I hit about 6000 miles, then it went up noticeably.

There IS something to be said about giving a good breakin period before really determining your car's fuel economy.
On the Edmunds' forums, someone was saying that Honda doesn't consider its engines fully broken in until 10,000 miles, so there's something to be said about letting the engine totally break in.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by JessW1982
On the Edmunds' forums, someone was saying that Honda doesn't consider its engines fully broken in until 10,000 miles, so there's something to be said about letting the engine totally break in.
I noticed with my last car, the more miles it had, the better the milage (well maintained of course). V6 Alero started out getting like 23 mpg (bought it with 22k), ended up with 28-29 mpg (at 80k). May sound rediculous, but compression in all six stayed perfect (or pretty close).

Old 08-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Kalash
By that do you mean, "No one with an automatic has a scangauge" or do you mean "the scangauge doesn't work with the automatic"?
Cuz... I was looking at those things...

Better question - if all I want is a MPG meter - is there a cheap one of those I can just slap somewhere and plug into that nifty little port?
I meant - I haven't seen anyone on this forum post results from an AT with Scangauge - Since I have an AT, I would be more interested in AT specific results Hope that clarifies things...

I really don't know much about scangauges at all...hope someone else from the board can help you as I'd be interested in the answers to your questions as well. Bottom line, I just want to max out my MPG

Old 08-16-2006, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by trowpa
I meant - I haven't seen anyone on this forum post results from an AT with Scangauge - Since I have an AT, I would be more interested in AT specific results Hope that clarifies things...

I really don't know much about scangauges at all...hope someone else from the board can help you as I'd be interested in the answers to your questions as well. Bottom line, I just want to max out my MPG

You and me both...
I'm still looking... looks like the scangauge is the cheapest thing around... at $170.....
If someone can drop the 1 off the front of that and get something that'll display mpg.... I'd jump on it...

Old 08-17-2006, 03:12 PM
Guys, and ladies, PLEASE please PLEASE please PLEASE PLEASE include whether you have the automatic transmission or manual transmission. If you can, give a breif description of what your commute is like (highway/city mix, uphill a lot, stop and go a lot, etc), conditions, like using the A/C a lot, what gas you're using, etc.

There is another thread for poor fuel economy. If you're averaging below 30mpg, please post there, and include as much information as you can.

If we can get some good data, maybe we can go to Honda and say there's a problem.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by roenyc
i went to the dealer yesterday about my mpg problems and the paint problem.

the manager was no help at all. ran computer tests and said my car was fine. Expained how estimated mpgs are determined. blah blah blah. i told him i understood but expected more then 20 mpg.

I have to bring the car back today when the regional manager or something is there. i am disgusted. i am ready to just trade it in.
as expected...they don't kno what they're doing wit new models...you best bet is to do the ILP which i'll be doing soon as well and hope for the best...give your car more time to fully break in after the first oil change and see what happens, by that time hopefully the dealers will kno more about this little fit...if not, i would first call Honda America first to express the problem and tell them about your experience at the dealership

Old 08-17-2006, 09:44 PM
I was getting 33 mpg in the city, with about 10% highway. Now that I added the Spoon Muffler and air filter I am now getting 36.5 with the same mix of driving. This is much better than the Honda Pilot we used to have.

Old 08-17-2006, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
I know in the morning when it's cool out or when the car has had a chance to cool down before driving it the cold air intake makes a noticable difference it the available power so I hope it helps the mpg that much.

Still not sure about changing the muffler yet. I read there's no back pressure anyway with the stock muffler so I hope the racing exhaust manifold will do the trick there.

I'll post the results when I have them. The headers are supposed to get here Tuesday and I'll still need to prep them and ColorGuard them to keep the heat soak down before installing them.

It's all good

Old 08-17-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by GreekFit
I was getting 33 mpg in the city, with about 10% highway. Now that I added the Spoon Muffler and air filter I am now getting 36.5 with the same mix of driving. This is much better than the Honda Pilot we used to have.
Part number/price on the air filter?

Quick Reply: Gas mileage