General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitjunkie
wow, that's some insane mileage...sometimes i don't even get half of your's at half tank...
Thats because he has manual transmission

Old 08-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Yes in answer to your question imperial gallons, please bear in mind that the U.K. and European jazz are mostly the 1339cc idsi engines they are 8 valve units with 2 spark plugs per cylinder, the clever bit is the idsi which adjusts the ignition timing of each set of plugs for optimum fuel economy.
the 1339cc unit produces 83 bhp and 119nm of torque at only 2800 rpm, couple that to the 7 speed cvt auto transmision which keeps the revs pretty low you have a really good fuel efficient vehicle, driving normally on open roads i never usually have to exceed 3000 rpm or 4500 for rapid overtaking

Old 08-15-2006, 12:08 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
32 mpg on my last fill up. the cocktail isn't that bad i guess. exclussively buy my gas at costco. and i haven't done the "idle learn procedure" yet. should have time today to do it

Old 08-15-2006, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yo_fitty
This is all pretty freaky! I have a pretty heavy foot and have ben driving a lard-arse Pathfinder for 4 years, so I figured that I'd be on the low end of the mpg spectrum. But at 30, on a brand new Fit, it seems like I'm in the middle of the pack. I am trying to figure out what I could do to cut my mileage by 30%....

All I can come up with is: use of excessive throttle position. The Fit seems to launch just fine for most sitations by just taking up the slack in the throttle. I could see that if I was pushing the throttle halfway to the floor at every start it might kill the fuel economy. That is just a guess. Sorry, but I'm not into experimenting in ways to get worse mileage

Remember that the idea behind VTEC is to give you optimized peformance at botn low speed/low rpm driving and at high rpm/freeway speeds. So let the car do the work and see if you get an improvement in mpg.

That could be it...

Since I started driving "HARDER" the v-tech has been kicking in... and I've gotten a 5 mpg improvement of driving "soft" and not letting the rpm's get over 3000....

As for sitting in traffic - that's negligable.
The first tank I had over 29 mpg I had the car idling for about 6 hours with the heat on (it was colder than expected on a camping trip....)

I've got to admit I was completely shocked by that one...
Idle the car for 6 hours, get a 5 mpg improvement?

Heck... I'll let my car idle while I'm at work all day if that works!!!

Old 08-15-2006, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kalash
That could be it...

Since I started driving "HARDER" the v-tech has been kicking in... and I've gotten a 5 mpg improvement of driving "soft" and not letting the rpm's get over 3000....

As for sitting in traffic - that's negligable.
The first tank I had over 29 mpg I had the car idling for about 6 hours with the heat on (it was colder than expected on a camping trip....)

I've got to admit I was completely shocked by that one...
Idle the car for 6 hours, get a 5 mpg improvement?

Heck... I'll let my car idle while I'm at work all day if that works!!!
you suggest we should floor the throttle everytime to accelerate and will get better mileage?? i thought driving harder will kill your mileage, as some other ppl here said...

Old 08-15-2006, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitjunkie
you suggest we should floor the throttle everytime to accelerate and will get better mileage?? i thought driving harder will kill your mileage, as some other ppl here said...
Not floor it... just punch it a bit... get to speed in 20 secinds instead of 40...That and let your car sit running for 5-6 hours at night...I'm not saying it makes sense... but that's (somehow) improved my gas mileage (though I haven't let it idle that long again...)I guess... drive it like a sport coupe, not a limo, and your gas mileage will go up (or... mine did.... logic still says something's screwy...)

Old 08-15-2006, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
Do any of you guys/gals let your car warm up/till the C temp sign goes away before driving off?

Old 08-15-2006, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
I dont think you mean punch it nor floor it. I think what you mean is that others are worrying about hitting vtech RPM and that shouldn't be the case. Just drive like you normally would drive any car. Don't try to keep the RPM under 3k, for all we know, Vtech is whats working to optimize your mileage. When I'm going up a small hill and I do it lightly, I noticed that it revs up, then back down, then revs up again wasting gas. I think the car revving up and down is what's killing your mileage.. If you just drive it like you normally do, the momentum will put less drag on the car. Since our cars are so light, once it picks up to speed, it is effortless to pull it's weight and thus saving you gas.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
The second time this summer, my Jazz did cross the 700km border with the same filling.
And the most I ever could refill was 38l.
The best is 5.2 l/100km and average is around 6 l/100km.

Its quite pity, they could not give you the CVT.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:03 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 4dr4life!
Do any of you guys/gals let your car warm up/till the C temp sign goes away before driving off?
i do..........

Old 08-15-2006, 05:29 PM
i feel a slight hesitation when i take off. is this normal? my kid says yes. i say no. its like i hit the gas and the car takes a bit of time to follow. could be my imagination but that might be my problem. he says its just the way the new transmissions work.

how many seconds is it hesitating at? And is it only from a dead stop or does it do it other times? Like once you have started moving does it ever hesitate changing gears?

I have an automatic, and its like i press the peddle and it just seems like the car takes a second or more to jump into first gear. i am not explaining this well. it always seems as though i am hitting the gas more then i need to in order to accelerate.

Basically, you hit the gas, and it THINKS about whether to respond or not.

is there anyone out there who knows what the heck i am talking about. at first i thought it was because of the A/C - my older cars did that. but that was just an excuse. HELP - i go to dealer tomorrow!!

A friend had one that did that, new car, she almost got hit a couple times but hers was severe...it would hesitate...go...hesitate before it'd go again. No it wasn't a honda.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
I also had a slight hesitation every once in awhile when pulling away from a stop sign. (base, manual) It was like the engine did not get the signal from the gas pedal to increase speed.

I just completed the "idle learn procedure" to help with the gas mileage, but have also noticed the hesitation is gone. You might want to try it out to see if it cures your problem.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/7729-ecm-pcm-idle-learn-procedure.html

Last edited by kkim; 08-15-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Oh sometimes.. depends on how impatient I am.. grin.. but I drive it easy for the first mile or so.. (not hard being i'm in the toolies.. a mile almost gets me to the main hwy) Sometimes I let it sit for five mins or so, it seems to warm up pretty fast though.. so I'm not sure its one of those you NEED to do it. Course it's summer and warm here at the moment too. Guess I'll see what happens when it gets further towards winter.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Mine usually goes off before I hit the end of the block, so not usually. I just take it easy the first mile or so.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:38 PM
Got a new personal best MPG at this morning's fill up...

40.34 MPG on this last tank. I've got approx. 3600 miles on the Fit now. :thumb up:

Old 08-15-2006, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
CA and crudy MPG

CA uses that reformulated Water that smells like gas. Both my 97 DelSol S 5spd and Civic DX Auto get about 28mpg...until i went to OR with them then it was 33-35mpg each time.

28, CA, 20/80% got 30mpg out of a tank this week but it was 95% highway.

Now I have a lead foot, drive 80-90mph all thge time and ma usually using the padle shifters and rack it to 5500rpm to 6K when shifting.

Scott

Originally Posted by hqly
Here's the mpg for one of the poster.. it appears that CA seems to get the worst and the numbers below supports it lol..

Average MPG
State
Driving Conditions
Estimate
Last Updated

Stop & Go
Highway
DE
10%
90%
07/28/2006
IL
60%
40%
05/31/2006
MI
10%
90%
06/12/2006
TN
62%
38%
08/01/2006
CA
76%
24%
08/08/2006

53%
47%
08/10/2006
CO
57%
43%
08/07/2006
NH
40%
60%
07/14/2006
VA
20%
80%
07/22/2006

Old 08-15-2006, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=Talon]i feel a slight hesitation when i take off. is this normal? my kid says yes. i say no. its like i hit the gas and the car takes a bit of time to follow. could be my imagination but that might be my problem. he says its just the way the new transmissions work.

I had a similar hesitation off the line with mine but it has since goen away. I have had the car for 33 days now and already have around 4200mi on it

The gas milage has DEFIANLTY improved by about 4 mpg.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:26 AM
5 Year Member
WOW. I've been reporting 29 MPG to 31 MPG avg.. Today, I hit the half gas-tank at 175 Miles. When my light goes off, it's usually 9.5 gallons. So assuming 5 gallons for 175 miles = 35 MPG. If this is the case, then the idle learn mode may really work.

And keep in mind, I haven't been babying the pedal. I don't go crazy, but I try to allow it to accelerate smoothly without any interruptions to the pedal. I am very light on first gear, then on second gear, I give it a little more gas, and as the gears shift up, I progressively allow more gas since theres more momentum already going.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fm2n
I dont think you mean punch it nor floor it. I think what you mean is that others are worrying about hitting vtech RPM and that shouldn't be the case. Just drive like you normally would drive any car. Don't try to keep the RPM under 3k, for all we know, Vtech is whats working to optimize your mileage. When I'm going up a small hill and I do it lightly, I noticed that it revs up, then back down, then revs up again wasting gas. I think the car revving up and down is what's killing your mileage.. If you just drive it like you normally do, the momentum will put less drag on the car. Since our cars are so light, once it picks up to speed, it is effortless to pull it's weight and thus saving you gas.

Sure... I'll go with that

Paying attention to the RPM gauge when driving shows that if you're ACCELERATING at 55 mph to... say... 60.... VERY VERY SLOWLY.... you'll be around 1000 RPM faster during your acceleration period.

On the other hand... if you downshift to 4th, rev up 1000-1500 rpm from where you were, you can be at 60, upshift to 5th, and drop those extra 1000-1500 rpm that you'd still be using if you accelerated more slowly.

I hope that makes sense...
I guess... staying in 5th and accelerating 5 mph would take probably 40 seconds or so... an average of 40,000 rmp in excess of what you should be using...
Dropping to 4th and accelerating at a faster rate.... (just for fun we'll say 20 seconds...) at 1500 RPM above standard same speed driving... you're only using 30,000 RPM more than when doing your standard driving.

10,000 RPMs less means that much less gas, right?

Down here (Laguna Beach...) with all the hills, I guess I see the car struggling more in 5th at 55.... and dropping it to 4th and getting it back up to speed then upshifting the RPM during cruise (flat speed) drops 800-1200.

Now... the 40 second and 20 second examples aren't timed... aren't actually tested...
Just a proof of concept... So to speak.
A way of showing how accelerating faster can give you better gas mileage (and helping me understand why my car's doing better now...)

Old 08-16-2006, 04:57 AM
Originally Posted by fm2n
I totally agree, I have a M/T and I don't shift below 3k RPMs, i usually shift at about 4k and i haven't gotten a tank under 35MPG... those of you that have M/T should try it out and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage