General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 09:07 AM
All of these conflicting reports are driving me crazy! If I could drive the Fit like I drive my Civic and still get 32+ MPG then I'd definately get one instead of a Rabbit. It just seems like a complete gamble according to all of these reports.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:27 AM
I admit the FIT does seem VERY sensitive to driving style....which is a double edged sword - if you are careful, you can get up to 40+ mpg. If you're not, you're down under 30....

Whereas other cars don't seem to be as sensitve - my Saab for instance got the same 27-29 mpg no matter how I drove it.

In general, the fit seems to shine in Highway driving and really do poorly in stop and go city and hills....it seems to gulp gas when it has to rev up high...

Old 08-10-2006, 07:39 PM
well,its seem like everyone is getting good mileage out of their FIT SpORT except me. right now i am on half a tank and i have 137.5 aight that some $*&@. i am so mad. plus just to let you yall know i have problem w/my ebrake. light keep coming on even when its down and making loud beeping noise. I took it to the dealer they said they fix it yesterday and i had to take it back the same day. now i have to wait for then to order a ebrake switch(spring) and they will let me know when it come in. i have to enjoyed that annoying beeping noise.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by peego
well,its seem like everyone is getting good mileage out of their FIT SpORT except me. right now i am on half a tank and i have 137.5 aight that some $*&@. i am so mad. plus just to let you yall know i have problem w/my ebrake. light keep coming on even when its down and making loud beeping noise. I took it to the dealer they said they fix it yesterday and i had to take it back the same day. now i have to wait for then to order a ebrake switch(spring) and they will let me know when it come in. i have to enjoyed that annoying beeping noise.
Join the club! I'm have a Sport AT with 3000 miles (way beyond break in), and I'm still only getting 27-30 MPG whether I'm on the freeway or city streets! Plus, I'm driving this thing as conservatively as possible. In the meanwhile, on this thread, others are getting 35-38 or more MPG, which really irks me to no end! I've about given up hope on this Fit. I bought this vehicle for the gas mileage and it just doesn't deliver. I thought about taking this back to the dealer for a check up, but from what I have read, it's just a waste of time.

I'm waiting for others to try out the Idle learning technique and seeing if that truly improves mileage. If any of you have tried this new technique on your Fit, could you please share with us all whether or not this works? I think my next step could be giving this a shot...

Old 08-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by bluemeanie
Join the club! I'm have a Sport AT with 3000 miles (way beyond break in), and I'm still only getting 27-30 MPG whether I'm on the freeway or city streets! Plus, I'm driving this thing as conservatively as possible. In the meanwhile, on this thread, others are getting 35-38 or more MPG, which really irks me to no end! I've about given up hope on this Fit. I bought this vehicle for the gas mileage and it just doesn't deliver. I thought about taking this back to the dealer for a check up, but from what I have read, it's just a waste of time.

I'm waiting for others to try out the Idle learning technique and seeing if that truly improves mileage. If any of you have tried this new technique on your Fit, could you please share with us all whether or not this works? I think my next step could be giving this a shot...
I still get erratic mpg out of my fit (3500miles). Best Ive seen is 33.5 (long highway trip) and as low as 26 mpg. Sad milage from a 2500 lb car with a glorified briggs and stratton under the hood. Anyway, I am doing a trip this weekend and will check it after the first hundred miles or so and see what I get out of that. Someone before got tremendous milage to start and it dropped off quick at half a tank. I too have noticed this and just assumed the tank gauge wasnt accurate, but perhaps something is too it.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Smile Averaged 29-30 mpg

I have about 1500 miles on her and have filled up about 5-6 times. I have been using the A/C ALOT since it's been in the 100's or 100% humidty...it was hell when we had both!! Yuck, you'd think the midwest wouldn't get that hot...otherwise I rarely use the A/C but being NE I made sure I got it because if you blink the weather is different! I love this site, thank goodness I found it!!

Old 08-11-2006, 02:47 PM
yeah I have only run the AC here a couple of times and not for any extensive periods. More of a drop the temp in the car type thing.. I dunno if anyone else does it but I tend to turn it on, set the circulation from within the car and once it's cool to where I like it I turn off the ac. It tends to keep it fairly cool for a good while, providing I'm not getting in and out of the car or rolling the windows down. I do have 15% tint on my windows. So I'm sure that is making a difference too.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Not getting what the mfg claims

My first tank of gas got 33mpg. I looked at my odometer and I have 1500 miles and have been getting between 27-29mpg

Old 08-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Thumbs up Record Tank: 44.178 MPG / Overall: 36.525 MPG

This tank really surprised me!

I recently bought a few car accessories to help squeeze out the highest MPG possible. I got a foot-type tire pump and a digital tire pressure gauge. They are helping me more accurately keep my tire pressure up without the hassle of going to gas stations. I've been checking each week to make sure that all my tire pressures are 37.5 psi COLD.

Secondly, I also bought a Scangauge which lets me monitor the Fit's engine computer parameters and gives a real-time MPG readout like that in many luxury and hybrid vehicles. It's not cheap, but if I continue to see this huge improvement it will be worth it to me.

I've been adjusting my driving to better stay in the Fit's "sweet spot" for fuel efficiency. This car has a lot of automated systems that are at work and affect fuel economy (V-TEC, drive-by-wire throttle, Electric steering assist, cruise control, automatic transmission, etc.) but the driver can really impact gas mileage through throttle use, gear selection, and a/c use.

In this one week I've learned that:
  • City driving is a HUGE factor in dragging down your overall MPG on a tank, but you can improve it. This is the biggest thing I'm learning right now. [more later]
  • Too much accelerator knocks down MPG and doesn't always necessarily make you go any faster.
  • Under certain conditions, sometimes the Fit gets better MPG at 70 MPH than 65 MPH. At highway speeds it would be a bigger waste of gas to downshift to make a hill at 65 than to drive 70 and stay in 5th gear. As I learn my route better I can optimize this.
  • Shifting too early wastes more gas if you need extra torque (for a hill or acceleration) than to stay in that gear at higher rpm's.
  • A/C use can affect gas mileage by 2 to as much as 10 MPG! It's best to switch off or minimize running the a/c when the engine is under more load (during acceleration, going uphill, or carrying more passengers/cargo than normal). I've been manually switching off the a/c for a few minutes during a long uphill stretch, then switching it back on when the road flattens out.

For those who are wondering -- yes, it is more work to drive like this. Once I learn what the best MPG driving is for city conditions I think that it can become automatic. But truthfully, on this tank my highway driving was mostly with cruise control. I just kept my speed down to 65-70 and limited a/c. There are times when I just say "screw it" and crank up the a/c and drive like I usually do. There is a happy medium and I will find it. The Fit is capable of incredible gas mileage.

Anyway, now I feel like the Fit was such a perfect choice for me. I kept wondering if I should have bought the Yaris for that 2 extra MPG, but now that difference is negligible.

Blue Fit Sport m/t
city/hwy mix: 75%/25%
highway speeds: 65 to 70 MPH max
Details: 285.3 miles / 6.458 gallons = 44.178 MPG

I love this car!

Old 08-11-2006, 08:50 PM
OUTSTANDING POST! Thanks for your time posting that information.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Took a little road trip two days ago, total round trip distance almost 600 miles. almost all I 95 or Florida turnpike. On the way down after driving at or just above the posted 70mph limit topped off the tank, trip odometer at 191 miles, 4.8 gallons so a hair under 40mpg. Then it all went downhill. My wife took over for the remainder of the trip to miami and then later on the way back north to the same fuel stop. Having decided that I drive like a geriatric she speeded up a little, 80-85 where safe, light traffic. with a little bit of city driving in the middle. 250 miles 7.4 gallons 34.5 mpg. It then looked like we could improve on her record time from downtown Miami to our house, so my final stint was at 80+ where safe, moderate traffic. on and off the gas a lot. 168 miles 5.2 gallons around 33.5 mpg. So heavy right foot and only a little increase in speed caused big losses in terms of gas mileage. New best time though, the Fit leads, beating our '01 Accord coupe time by 10 minutes. Fit has 5700 miles base MT.

Last edited by pablo; 08-11-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone take their fit to the dealer to complain about the poor mpg???
I wonder how they are responding???
I didn't buy the fit for 18mpg city, 22 mix, 30 highway!

Old 08-12-2006, 06:56 AM
5 Year Member
I just filled up at 7.5 gallons giving me 29.4 MPG. Will need more time to tell. I had used up 40 minutes of idling for the "learn mode". So after I use up this new fill I will report the MPG again. But so far, I think the learn mode does really help the car find it's maximization.

Another thing I noticed is my driving style is adapting well to the car. I don't accelerate like crazy, but I use the gas pedal dynamically. You can almost feel when the car is going to shift and when it does, my leg reacts to it and eases off on the pedal. Kinda like MT shifting. Or when you complete a hill, the power is regained by the car. You learn to slowly ease off on the pedal so it doesn't go crazy on the top of the hill. I also ease off on the pedal when I find that the car trys to rev to gain speed faster than I need to.

Old 08-12-2006, 11:28 AM
I have a stock 94 Integra GS-R. which is rated at 25/31 mpg. I got 38mpg out of it one time.
I decided to do an ultimate gas milage test with my car.
first i put about 48 psi of air in all 4 tires. i left the A/C off, and windows rolled up. toped off my gas tank and drove on the interstate. it was a round trip, 40 miles one way and 40 miles back, so it makes it more acurate, also no wind.

last time i used cruise control set to 55 and got 32mpg. same road. this time i left cruise control off and got 38mpg.
the ploblem with cruise control is it give the car alot of gas going up hills, which kills your gas milage. you want to decelerate up hills, so you use alot less gas.

heres my trick, bump up tire pressure, turn off A/C and fan, roll the windows up. and drive the hills. meaning, accelerate down hills and decelerate up hills. keeping you foot at the same place will do this for you. my speed varried from 50mph to 60mph. sometimes droping to 45 at the top of a long hill and up to 65 at the bottom of a long hill. and just build up momentum going down hills so it can carrie you up the next hill.
The idea is, to use as little trottle as possible, the less trottle you use, the better you gas milage is. RPM doesnt hurt gas milage as much as you think, its mostly trottle position.

quote from SurferX from team-integra.net http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...PagePosition=1

"Here's a chart using Hondata's ROM editor, showing a 3d view of the ECU's stock fuel map. You can clearly see that a change in RPM has minimal effect on fuel delivery except when looking at the higher throttle (MAP) levels.

X= RPM
Y= fuel
Z= MAP (related to throttle)

From this chart you can see that MAP is what makes the biggest difference, not RPM. RPM only increases the fuel value by any appreciable amount at high throttle. So low RPM or high RPM doesn't matter, the only way you are going to suck down high amounts of gas is to increase the throttle."

Old 08-12-2006, 07:15 PM
34mpg - Wahoo!

I filled up today and got my best gas mileage to date (actually 33.9, but close enough to 34). My mileage has been getting steadily better since I've had my Fit out on the highway. I have a base automatic. I do most in-town driving and have had my air on pretty much all summer. Can I make it to 35mpg? I think so.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:43 PM
ryotto,
Brilliant post. It explains what I was trying to say much more technically/thoroughly. People need to think, if my foot is mashed into the floor and the engine is only at 2k rpm, its still sucking alot of gas. On a side note I drove 80 miles today straight highway, no a/c 70 mph and filled up; 26 mpg! I was livid. Soooo, I finished my trip (with some extreme hills), ran the heck out of the car with redline shifts via paddles (with a/c on 90% of the time) and when I got back home, topped the tank to the first click as always....low and behold 37 mpg (180 miles). I like to think that I am a logical guy, but the only thing that was different is that my window was cracked about 3-4 inches during the original trip. I cant imagine that the drag difference is all that different to drop 10 mpg. The other variable would be when the pump kicked off. This could account for some of the low reading on the first leg of my trip. Its just frustrating to me to have such random results. I think Im gonna keep the windows up and see if my milage still stays reasonable. Anyone have any other variables that I could have missed? Just my son (26#) and my lard @ss at 200# both ways...no cargo.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Smile Have you all got lead boots on while driving

Originally Posted by DRum
What kind of gas mileage (or kilometerage) are people getting with their fits?

Please indicate transmission type, percent highway/city, and highway speed.

Thanks - I am curious to see how the Fit does compared to its EPA numbers. Some cars barely get the highway figure, and others are way over.

I own a Jazz 1.4SE CVT7 here in the UK, mostly i drive 40 miles to and from work on country (twisty) roads at around 50 mph, i never get any less than 55 -56 mpg the auto box is normally used in fully auto mode.
cheers

Old 08-13-2006, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jazzfan49
I own a Jazz 1.4SE CVT7 here in the UK, mostly i drive 40 miles to and from work on country (twisty) roads at around 50 mph, i never get any less than 55 -56 mpg the auto box is normally used in fully auto mode.
cheers
Is that under Imperial gallons or US gallons?
I'm assuming Imperial - meaning 1 Imp Gallon = 1.2 US G

Old 08-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Please, everyone thats getting bad gas mileage, call American Honda customer service and complain..........get a record started and let them know how we feel about this. If enough of us call, maybe Honda will recall the Fit and fix whatever is wrong. Something HAS to be wrong cause this car, with the same engine and trans, is getting mpg's that are all over the spectrum.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by gimme
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. i just filled up at 287 miles. with 2.3 gallons left in the tank. Used 8.5 to fill. With that said. My mileage is around 34.21. I think I am misleading myself here. I kinda forgot that the 38/33 mpg is til it's empty. So I have to do a tad bit more math. Now if everyone with my same mpg problem would do the same math as I did, you all might see huge mpg improvements as I did
LOL ... I was making a similar mistake myself (calculating the entire tank capacity with my mileage instead of the gas I actually used), and it made my MPG numbers much lower than they should have been. Now, I feel better

Quick Reply: Gas mileage