General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

VTEC Shuts down

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 02:28 PM
VTEC Shuts down

First I wanted to say that our 2008 Honda Fit is the 5th Honda that I have owned. I have loved every Honda and never had one in for repair, even the 1996 Honda Accord with 260K+ miles. We have always had great service from Honda until now. I have searched for other people with the same or even similar issue, but have come up empty.

Since about 5500 miles, our '08 Honda Fit's check engine light will illuminate and the vehicle will not accelerate past approximately 3700 rpms. Basically the engine feels like it has a rev limiter set at 3700 rpms.

Four different Honda dealerships have tried 5 different times to repair the problem without any success. Unfortunately, Honda just wants me to keep bringing the vehicle into be repaired over and over again. The closest dealership to us is just over an hour away and it is getting tiresome.

After the fourth attempt, I sent Honda a certified letter to notify that they had one more attempt to repair the vehicle or I would have to file suit against them since they refused to do anything to replace the vehicle.

I am very disappointed in Honda as of right now, especially due to the fact I have been a loyal customer for nearly 20 years.

I wanted to post a video of the problem, but I haven't been able to figure it out. I am going to post one on U-Tube and provide a link if anyone is interested.

Still looking for someone else that has similar acceleration issues ... if anyone does, please drop me a note.

*** UGH

Old 02-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
sorry to hear that your honda isn't being good to you. i think you'd qualify for the lemon law since they can't fix your car despite repeated attempts.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by doctordoom
sorry to hear that your honda isn't being good to you. i think you'd qualify for the lemon law since they can't fix your car despite repeated attempts.
I agree- you sound like a classic "lemon law" case. You also sent the letter with a "Return Receipt Request" right? That is how you prove in court that Honda actually received your complaint. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
I agree- you sound like a classic "lemon law" case. You also sent the letter with a "Return Receipt Request" right? That is how you prove in court that Honda actually received your complaint. Best of luck to you.

Yea ... I have the confirmation of receipt. After the fourth repair attempt I talked to the attorney that helped write the VA Lemon Law. He actually gave me the letter to send to Honda. I am trying to upload a video to You Tube now so I can show everyone what exactly I am talking about.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
i'm just curious as to what the honda guys have tried to remedy this probelm with your car. did it seem like they were going in blind or did they try to explain what the problem might be?

Old 02-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by TunaDaMan
i'm just curious as to what the honda guys have tried to remedy this probelm with your car. did it seem like they were going in blind or did they try to explain what the problem might be?
They believe it has something to do with the VTEC ... they have replaced the wiring harness and upgraded software and tested the VTEC ... the first dealer said that it was because the oil needed changed (hahaha). It was still at 40% on the oil minder indicator. Then the next day at a different dealer, they said it was because the oil was overfilled ... even more hilarious! Basically the first two just reset the light.

It is completely random also, sometimes after sitting a few days it will clear itself. I have monitored it at different fuel tank levels, using the paddles, not using them, driving it easy, not so easy, different temperatures ... basically anything that I can think of with fuel delivery and whatever.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
also what is the code pulled when the check engine light is on?

Old 02-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by TunaDaMan
also what is the code pulled when the check engine light is on?
It was P2647

Old 02-16-2009, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...re-switch.html this thread might help you with your problem...in summary, it might be a defective switch...

otherwise if the switch is working, maybe something is preventing oil from reaching the switch

Old 02-16-2009, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
I had the same code on my 08 fit sport manual. First and only time it coded I was on the highway doing 75, so in vtec, and it coded. It killed my cruise as the mil will cause the car to go into limp mode. I am a technician at a honda dealer in Kansas city. Rather than play with it. I just warranted a replacment vtec oil switch. Have not had an issue again and haven't seen a problem again. Its been maybe 2000 miles or so. If the car stays in limp mode, if does exactly as you say, will not rev above 3750 or so. If have them try the vtec switch if you have not already had the problem resolved.
Good luck.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by ILoveMYHonda1984
I had the same code on my 08 fit sport manual. First and only time it coded I was on the highway doing 75, so in vtec, and it coded. It killed my cruise as the mil will cause the car to go into limp mode. I am a technician at a honda dealer in Kansas city. Rather than play with it. I just warranted a replacment vtec oil switch. Have not had an issue again and haven't seen a problem again. Its been maybe 2000 miles or so. If the car stays in limp mode, if does exactly as you say, will not rev above 3750 or so. If have them try the vtec switch if you have not already had the problem resolved.
Good luck.
Yea, I noticed that the cruise control also would go out. I am actually excited that someone else had the problem!! It seems to have the 4 dealerships that I have been to completely stumped. After looking at the repair tickets, the vtec switch was replaced ... it did not have any issues for about 3 and a half weeks ... and then ... poof ... started doing it again ... I may have several issues all related I am thinking now.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:55 AM
Here is a link to the video ...

YouTube - Honda Fit Problem

Old 02-20-2009, 12:46 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
not sure if it's even worth mentioning.
but i had a Geo prizm which is a toyota
corolla. and it did the same thing.
finally i got to the bottom of it.
it was the computer. changed it and all
was fixed.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Just as an update ... telephone calls, emails and letters were sent to the Brown Honda in Charlottesville, VA Business Manager and to their owner. Not even a reply or telephone call at all from them. So, it looks like I am going to be filing suit on Monday ... very disappointed right now.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
wow man that blows.. hope something good comes out of this for you.. i'd be pissed

Old 02-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks ... yea ... I am pretty upset ... hopefully it will work out, but I am thinking it is not going to be for quite a while ... so, I guess it will just sit in my driveway.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
wow that blows. just watched the video, hopefully they can get it taken care of. almost as bad as my clutch going out at 6k miles on my fit ;D i feel your pain haha, when my clutch went bad it was just as difficult to drive as what youre getting. really dangerous to drive considering you cant floor the car to get out of somebodies way and avoid accidents. goodluck.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
I just had the same problem. My 2008 Fit has 8300 miles and the dealership told me I had too much oil. I had the same sluggishness and same code. I was charged about $60 for a half hour repair time and 3 quarts of oil.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:34 PM
id would say almost definialy the vtec switch too, but id lemon the car and maybe buy it back at auction in a month or too

Old 02-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by madhatch
id would say almost definialy the vtec switch too, but id lemon the car and maybe buy it back at auction in a month or too
Well ... in many states, if you file under the lemon law of that state and win the case, the vehicle cannot be resold and must be destroyed.

Quick Reply: VTEC Shuts down