General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

VTEC Shuts down

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by kreyn49
I just had the same problem. My 2008 Fit has 8300 miles and the dealership told me I had too much oil. I had the same sluggishness and same code. I was charged about $60 for a half hour repair time and 3 quarts of oil.
Just make sure you keep the service report ... I am thinking that it will most likely happen again 8(

Sending you a PM

Old 04-27-2009, 03:58 AM
5 Year Member
ITS THE VTEC SWITCH!!!!!! I had the same thing happen to me within the first month of me owning the car. I brought it in after a cel came on, they told me that honda forgot to install the switch/ or he was just bsing me and it was faulty. Any who, 20k miles later and she runs strong.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Just a quick update ... they tried a couple other times with the same results ... the situation is now being handled via a different avenue ... thanks for all the emails and comments!!! I appreciate all the help!

Old 04-28-2009, 06:08 PM
bullshat. bring to our dealership ill fix it

Old 04-28-2009, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
Me too!

Originally Posted by sneyeper
First I wanted to say that our 2008 Honda Fit is the 5th Honda that I have owned. I have loved every Honda and never had one in for repair, even the 1996 Honda Accord with 260K+ miles. We have always had great service from Honda until now. I have searched for other people with the same or even similar issue, but have come up empty.

Since about 5500 miles, our '08 Honda Fit's check engine light will illuminate and the vehicle will not accelerate past approximately 3700 rpms. Basically the engine feels like it has a rev limiter set at 3700 rpms.

Four different Honda dealerships have tried 5 different times to repair the problem without any success. Unfortunately, Honda just wants me to keep bringing the vehicle into be repaired over and over again. The closest dealership to us is just over an hour away and it is getting tiresome.

After the fourth attempt, I sent Honda a certified letter to notify that they had one more attempt to repair the vehicle or I would have to file suit against them since they refused to do anything to replace the vehicle.

I am very disappointed in Honda as of right now, especially due to the fact I have been a loyal customer for nearly 20 years.

I wanted to post a video of the problem, but I haven't been able to figure it out. I am going to post one on U-Tube and provide a link if anyone is interested.

Still looking for someone else that has similar acceleration issues ... if anyone does, please drop me a note.

*** UGH
Hey sneyeper,
You are not alone. I started having this problem at 50K miles. Mine was a combination of worn plugs, and a bad VTEC solenoid. Last week, I got rid of the misfire, by changing to a fresh set of plugs. Today, I replaced the VTEC solenoid. I am now able to rev freely to redline without triggering the CEL.
If you need support in your dealings with Honda, just contact me, I'll back you up! There are several other members having the same problem, they just don't know it's the VTEC solenoid yet. When they do, hopefully they will see this post, and chime in as well.
These solenoids are too expensive to change out every 50K miles. FYI, these sell for $150+ at Honda's parts counter. If you want them to install it, it will cost you even more. They gave me a "ball park" quote of ~$225 OTD. I elected to do the 10 minute install myself, it is a very easy job.
Keep me in the loop,
-macbuddy-
PS-Your video is accurate. It demonstrates how dangerous it is to be driving this car during a passing maneuver should the VTEC fail on you. (Just to get by the past week, I have been able to drive the Fit safely in this mode by paddle shifting @ ~4,000 rpm).

Old 04-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks mac ... Mine started doing it early @ around 5K miles so I was lucky that it has been worked on under warranty ... I will let you know how it works out ... I gave Honda 6 attempts to repair the vehicle and could not afford to keep taking it in to them every other day ... two hour drive ... ugh

Old 05-30-2009, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
What's the status on this? And does the 09 Fit have this switch?

Old 05-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by ccl088
What's the status on this? And does the 09 Fit have this switch?

Sending you a PM ...

Old 02-01-2010, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
My car just got the Check engine light for the second time. This time there was no charge and the notes are as follows:Retrieved P2647 (rocker arm oil pressure switch (A) circuit high voltage/vtec system stuck on). Cleared code. Inspected oil level-ok. performed vtec test w/hds-failed. inspected continuity @ pressure switch-open.
replaced vtec oil pressure switch.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:26 PM
is the problem done yet?

my friend's Jazz also having same problem as yours. (i am in indonesia anyway) and the dealer just replace the crankcase sensor (dunno what you call this by) and then the car just back to normal. =)

good luck!

Last edited by dito; 02-03-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Ours just turned over 60k this week...outside powertrain warranty now. You got me all worried!